Info related to Bills, Internet, Rental, Jobs and Supermarket prices

[Moderated] I'm not Maltese, English speaker or affiliate to any of the websites posted below so if you want to rectify this post fell free to do so but keep the INFO. I have no problem deleting my post and keeping your one if you correct the wrong info or english spelling as long you don't change the facts.

Here is some "compiled" info (don't accuse me of plagiarism) related to Bills, Internet, Rental, Jobs and Supermarket prices what you may find useful but remember this is not a guide, therefore it can change at any time:

Bills for foreign residents (non-Maltese EU citizens included) or young Maltese citizens

The appropriate costs where rounded to the nearest cent or euro.

One small (10 kg) gas cylinder around 15€.
timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110102/local/easygas-announces-january-prices

One unit of electricity is 1KW (1000W) and cost around 0.25€ (tariff "Domestic=0")

Keeping the AC\Heater (12000BTU\1.5KW) on at full power or using the hair dryer or the iron machine (1500W) for one hour will cost you around 0.40€. The electric water heater represents approximately 40% of the electricity bill of a standard household.

Enemalta Corporation - Electricity Tariffs:
enemalta.com.mt/page.asp?p=995
Main website of Enemalta Corporation:
enemalta.com.mt/

One unit of water is 1000 Litters and cost around 5.5€ (tariff "NOP=0").

Water Services Corporation - Water Tariffs:
wsc.com.mt/(S(s3b2g5zpg23artvpzsmeju45))/fileuploads/tariffs_2010.pdf
Main website of Water Services Corporation:
wsc.com.mt/

The average water consumption per person usage per day is 150 litters a day (half the European average but similar to UK).

How much water do you use?
uswitch.com/water/how-much-water-use/

Water Consumption Calculator:
csgnetwork.com/waterusagecalc.html

Note: Common tariff for foreigners (non-Maltese EU citizens included) or young Maltese citizens is: "Domestic=0" and rarely "Domestic=1,2,3" etc. It is "highly unlikely" that foreigners will ever (or at least at the beginning of your journey in Malta) pay "Residential=1,2,3 etc" rates.

"Domestic=0" or "NOP=0" are tariffs for services without persons registered on the premises. Please note that in Malta if you waist more than a certain amount of water and electricity you will pay more per unit and usually is called "Cumulative Consumption".

To apply for "Domestic=1, 2, 3 etc" or "Residential=1,2,3 etc"(cheaper rates) you have to contact "ARMS Ltd".

The owner agreement is also necessary (the majority will not agree because they have to pay taxes on the income; in that case the rent).

More info (read the comments also):
maltatoday.com.mt/news/arms-ltd/arms-energy-bills-for-eu-citizens-under-european-commission-scrutiny-%E2%80%93-ad
timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100825/opinion/higher-bills-for-foreign-residents
timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100711/letters/water-and-electricity-bills
timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100926/local/brussels-warns-malta-about-higher-tariffs-for-foreigners
timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100711/local/arms-ltd-breaching-eu-law-ad
timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100617/letters/non-maltese-eu-citizens-entitlement-1

Water Services Corporation online bill calculator is highly unreliable (No "Tariffs" or "Cumulative Consumption" included on the calculation process):
wsc.com.mt/(S(esvd4245u1a0r0nbps0yut55))/default.aspx?mlev=22&mdis=104

Note: If the owner of the building has just one meter that reports to Enemalta, and there are multiple flats with personal meters (used only by the owner to record the consumption of each flat) but not the official ones from Enemalta then the Bill your Landlord will receive will be at the much higher rate because of the "Cumulative Consumption" of everyone on that single meter.

The ideal will be (if you are amongst the few lucky ones) "Domestic=1, 2, 3 etc" rate and to have the official individual meters that are reported to Enemalta. Compared to "Domestic=0" or "NOP=0" even the "Non-Residential" (Commercial) rate it is a lot cheaper.

More info about the messy story with the billing system (read the comments also):

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100912/local/arms-ltd-the-people-deserve-an-apology-gonzi
timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100905/local/consumers-who-have-not-received-utility-bills-for-a-year-living-in-dread
timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20101214/letters/calculation-of-water-and-electricity-bills
timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20101001/local/from-no-utility-bills-to-exorbitant-ones-complaints-keep-pouring-in

Internet:
melita.com/
go.com.mt/

Expect to have a "download limit" (download & upload traffic) and to pay installation charges plus deposit for your Internet connection.

Rental:
In Sliema, St. Julian's or even San Gwann a decent room for at least three months rental and not in the summer for a single person it is minimum 200€ (good three bedrooms flats in this areas start from 500€) plus Internet 10-15€ (depending on the number of the flatmates and the type of connection) plus 50€ water and electricity or more (but hardly less for a decent way of living) plus €5 the gas (depending on the number of the flatmates) where appropriate. Also expect to pay one month rent deposit and in some cases the agency fees.

"Impossible to find anything cheaper in such good location" no, is not 100% true. You will probably be able to find a better deal if you are lucky, search hard enough and spend plenty time on it or if you will meet someone who know someone etc.... “Get the picture?”

For luxury flats you can pay up to 600€ plus the bills for one room per month in Sliema or St. Julian's.

For additional info on apartment's prices check:

remax-malta.com/
62582.com/index.asp
dhalialetting.com/
timesofmalta.com/classifieds/to-let

etc...

Please check photos and all the info's on the flats before jumping to any conclusions. Also ignore the ad's of the agents in timesofmalta.com (you will see the same mobile number like "100" times on the same web page) who will promise you "super cheap" deal in prime areas. You will end up spending your money in useless phone calls just to find out the "good deal" is gone and the new one more expensive just comes up.

If you rent a flat in Malta from agencies or "agents" you have to pay them a fee which usually is equivalent with the price of the half month rent. The best will be to rent a flat directly from the owner (that will be not so easy on the summer).

Preferred area for students, young foreigners and young tourists are: Sliema, St Julian's, Swieqi and San Gwann (obviously not the cheapest places).

And yes it is true that you can rent a two or a three bed rooms flat in some other parts of Malta with the same price you will rent a room in the above areas.

For info on Rental Agreement's
globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/Malta/Landlord-and-Tenant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lease
uk.answers.yahoo.com/dir/index?link=list&sid=396545324
propertyhawk.co.uk/index.php?page=magazine&id=411

For info on how to find Jobs and where check:
maltacareers.tk/

For Supermarket prices check:
maltasupermarket.com/
lidl.com.mt/

For Second-Hand stuff (the best) check:
maltapark.com/

For Taxi (the best compared with the "White Taxi's" but don't forgot to ask the price when you call and Don't let yourself be fooled if the driver will ask you more money) check:
wembleys.net/

For Free TV and new movies 24/7 buy a satellite dish and receiver and then ask for MBC Free-to-Air entertainment English channels (subtitled in Farsi) check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Eas … ing_Center
.mbc.net/

For all other stuff check Yellow Pages check:
yellowpages.com.mt/

Here is some Info on Buses and how to get from the airport to Sliema, St Julian's, Paceville or San Gwann:

If you don't know how to get from the airport to Sliema, St Julian's or Paceville.
The airport in Malta is located in Luqa, some 6km away from its capital Valletta.

I. You can reach Sliema, St Julian's or Paceville by the bus leaving the airport every 20-30min, from 6:00h to 21:00h and 21:30h on weekends.
As soon as you come out into the Arrivals Lounge go on towards the HSBC sign (and Taxis) and change some money as you need to give small change to the bus driver. As soon as you do that cross the terminal past the rent-a-car people and bookstall and go outside. Cross the first road and walk further to the right ... to the bus stop.

Take BUS No: 8 from the Airport to Valletta (Triton Fountain Bus Terminus), takes about 40 minutes and is every 20/30 minutes.
For Sliema, St Julian's or Paceville: At the Triton Fountain Bus Terminus in Valletta take BUS No: 62, 67 or 68 (departures every 5/15 minutes) to Sliema. Takes about 15/30 minutes depending on the traffic. 

For San Gwann: At the Triton Fountain Bus Terminus in Valletta take BUS No: 41 or 141 (departures every 5/15 minutes) to San Gwann. Takes about 20/40 minutes depending on the traffic. Get out of the buss at Alpine House, Naxxar Road in San Gwann (ask the driver)

or

Take any bus from Triton Fountain Bus Terminus in Valletta to Sliema Ferries and from there take BUS No: 65 (departures every 30 minutes) to San Gwann. Takes about 10/30 minutes depending on the traffic (by walk will take the same time or less in many cases if you know the way from Sliema Ferries). Get out of the bus at Alpine House, Naxxar Road in San Gwann (ask the driver)

Check this websites for more info on buses:

atp.com.mt

tal-linja.com (not always online)

NOTE: Don't discard tickets - there are lots of inspectors checking!!!

II. Also you can reach Sliema, St Julian's or Paceville by Taxi.
The taxi service is located in the main arrivals hall at the airport, from where you can get a pre-paid ticket and your taxi driver, and then proceed to the car (Dont let yourse be fooled! if the driver will ask you more). The taxi ride usually costs around 20 Euros.

III. Other options:
maltatransfer.com/
OR
transfersmalta.com/

INFO:  Visit maltaweather.com or maltairport.com for weather updates

Remember: When you come in Malta forget about the rest of EU... abroad things are different, sometimes better, sometimes worse. Too many people assume things are done the same as in their previous country and get caught out. Always Ask First!

Hope that help.

PS:  To access the links ad "http://www." (don't forgot the dot at the end of www)

Thanks - very helpful...and seemed to confirm what we had found out so far in some areas which is a good sign :)

There's a lot of good information here, thanks for the round-up. One correction: You do NOT need to be a Maltese Passport holder to qualify for the Residential rates - there are at least a couple of ways - prove to the authorities that you have a Residence Permit or live in a block where the Landlord has already sorted out the rates. It's residence status that's important not nationality/passport.

Tim

Thanks. Changed to: It is "highly unlikely" that foreigners will ever pay "Residential=1,2,3 etc" rates.

I pay residential rates, and I'm a foreigner....

its not difficult - register for tax and/or get a residency permit

I will go for this:
It is "highly unlikely" that foreigners will ever (or at least at the beginning of your journey in Malta)pay "Residential=1,2,3 etc" rates.
In 90% of the cases (or more) this statement will prove to be 100% acurate but also i don't disagree with you the fact that in some (very limited) cases is possible.
If it will be so easy you will not find this on the news:
maltatoday.com.mt/news/arms-ltd/arms-energy-bills-for-eu-citizens-under-european-commission-scrutiny-%E2%80%93-ad

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100825/opinion/higher-bills-for-foreign-residents

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100711/letters/water-and-electricity-bills

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100926/local/brussels-warns-malta-about-higher-tariffs-for-foreigners

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100711/local/arms-ltd-breaching-eu-law-ad

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100617/letters/non-maltese-eu-citizens-entitlement-1

Two reasons why many foreigners don't get the residential rates is because

1. they don't register for tax
2. they rent a property where the landlord doesn't declare his rental income

if you want to get the lower electricity rates, go legal

There's also this as a rebuttal: timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110124/local/no-discrimination-in-foreigners-higher-tariffs

I can only speak personally and we had no problem at all getting residential rates, and we know many, many expats who are similarly on the residential rate....but I couldn't possibly put any percentages against it.

Hopefully the European Commission will look into it and resolve any disparities.

Tim

discriminatory pricing is allowed, as long as its not on the basis on citizenship (or sex, race, religion etc). This discriminatory pricing is on the basis of residency, which appears to be permissible under EU law. What appears not to be permissible is that Maltese citizens are assumed to be resident, while foreigners have to prove it - that is what the EU is likely to force a change in, atleast as far as non Maltese EU citizens are concerned.

One likely solution is to make Maltese citizens also prove they are resident....

One estate agent said the only way we can get the residential rates is if we put the bills in our name and the only way we can ever do that is by buying- as landlords wont allow tenants to have the bills in their own name.

We both work legally and pay tax and have residency, so I wonder if in our next place we should push harder! Every penny counts!

Again I can only speak for my own situation - the bill is NOT in our name, but we ARE getting residential rates...our Landlord owns a fairly large building with 9 units - I don't know what, if anything, our Landlord had to do or say to get us the residential rate...but I'm not complaining.

Tim

Thank you, Thank you, & again Thank you, for reading and debating but it will be not easier to give the new comers a broader picture and stop with all this legal "mumbo jumbo"

Huh? You post on a forum and you don't expect discussion? At the very least by adding comments we are keeping it at the top of the thread list, which I thought you'd be happy about so newcomers can see it...otherwise what will happen is that eventually it'll move down the list and unless someone specifically looks for it it may as well never have existed. It can probably be made a "sticky" to keep it at the top - but to do that needs a request to an Admin I think.

iamharibo wrote:

One estate agent said the only way we can get the residential rates is if we put the bills in our name and the only way we can ever do that is by buying- as landlords wont allow tenants to have the bills in their own name.

We both work legally and pay tax and have residency, so I wonder if in our next place we should push harder! Every penny counts!

Oh yes... you are super right. "estate agent" = with the  definition of a  perfect liar.

But that will be available for the ones in Sliema, St. Julian's or even San Gwann because i know many "estate agents" decent and respectfully. And again: "but" if you FIRST come in Malta you will meet this ones. And that is NOT like the 90% of the Maltese lovely (I'm not lying) BUT BECAUSE you are new comer you will meet the "SHARKS" = letsmovemalta.com/

Don't see this a mumbo jumbo - it's a good way of sifting through the 'rules and regulations'. Life and options are never straight forward, the more experience added to the discussion makes it richer knowledge for those taking a leap into a different country and culture. Thank you to all of the contributors including dcmalt, but don't get too precious about your original information as you will put people off reading what you post.

@dcmalt - why the aggression ? You started off being aggressive in your first post on this thread, and then complained when people point out errors in your thread. I get the impression from your posts here that you don't have the right sort of attitute for Malta, and are rubbing people up the wrong way. Foreigners can pay the lower rates if they proceed in the right way - its not difficult. Anyway, I've had my say, and can't be bothered with this thread any more.

Well said George!

Yud wrote:

Hello georgeingozo,

Before I stick this topic as suggested by [hammersfan], I would like to know which part of this discussion is aggressive! Can you guide me please.

Thanks!

the first few words "" for starters  - where do you intend sticking this topic, I can think of a couple of places...

Imagine being a newbie on this website, and the first thing they see is this thread (which is what stickies are meant for. Many wouldn't bother going past the first paragraph of this thread before going elsewhere.

I have moderated it, thanks for bringing this to my attention ;) If you find anything unpleasant do not hesitate to report!

Have a nice day further ;)

George in every post you have a problem with being "LEGAL" where that is not the concern of any newbie. When you come in Malta or what ever country you are going on the main concern is about your survival not about the "small details" of legal stuff. You want to make the best of your money. It is like i tell you now: Malta is just a rock in the middle of the sea and you will try to picture Malta like Hawaii. It is that make me aggressive or the real truth. Are you dealing in daily bases with foreigners and you have to answer the same questions again and again... And way "Strait Talk" is aggressive? Did you know how many newbie come and get disappointed just because they read the wrong IFNO (not to mention they spend the last penny on them pocket)? So be honest, give them the right details so they will have a choice and stop misleading just beacouse you have it better. If with the time they will find a better way that is perfect with me.

>Can we avoid stop this form of disagreement on the forum please.

dcmalt you say:

George in every post you have a problem with being "LEGAL" where that is not the concern of any newbie. When you come in Malta or what ever country you are going on the main concern is about your survival not about the "small details" of legal stuff. You want to make the best of your money.

You are getting this wrong dcmalt - please don't speak on behalf of other newbies - that annoys me. I am concerned with what is legal, I will be coming from a civilised country (UK) into another civilised country(Malta). If you are only of the 'survival' category that is very sad! I look forward to a fruitful, legal and happy future in malta, the discussions on expatblog allow me to make up my own mind as to what I accept and what I reject, I don't need you to do this for me.

Your 'tone' of writing and choice of wording is often aggressive (not straight talk) if you don't understand this then look it up somewhere please.  I don't want to read what you have to say if you are going carry on like this.

Woah - didn't mean to start all this off! lol
Nice to see all sides of the discussion tho!
I'm worried about the legality issues over there as my understanding of it is minimal but thats where my contacts so far and my partner step in :)

legality issues???   which ones?

I am in a situation like hammersfan where the electric is in the name of the property owner.   just an fyi....

we also have a landlord that will not allow us to put it into our name, so we therefore do not get vare entitled discount. The reason are landlord will not do this is for declaration reasons. This is his choice, however when we get the bill and use the bill calculator to discover are true bill, we then pay the landlord the exact amount. He moans and groans but he knows :)

We are now moving and our new landlord has declare the bill as residential by putting it in her daughters name, so we now get our discount with no hassle :)

Malta Supermarket wrote:

Deliveries are offered throughout Malta from Monday to Saturday with very flexible times to try to accommodate customers. Orders placed before noon can be delivered same day, otherwise next day delivery will apply.

Hi - what days do you deliver to Gozo ?

Hello members,

The post about Malta Supermarket has been moved to a temporary folder for analysis because the content was purely commercial!

I don't understand why at this moment the bus drivers don't give the change for one or two cents.
My landlord didn't understand when I asked her to check the electricity rate on the bills. But she doesn't declare the income I do think.
Otherwise, I'm wondering why the Maltese always want to surcharge the foreigners. Though, I pay their European grants. Sometimes, I'm wondering if the people who say here is a paradise to live, if they think really that or if they have already tried to travel somewhere else.

If anyone says Malta is paradise they either haven't lived here long enough or haven't visited enough places! But really there is no paradise imo....I've lived in plenty of places and they all have had their good and bad points. On a "good day" the bad stuff just makes me roll my eyes and say "only in Malta" and on a "bad day" it get's me down and I'd rather be elsewhere.

Tim

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have lived in Malta for almost two years. Could use some advise on the electricity tariffs. Me and my boyfriend both work and pay taxes here, we have our Maltese ID cards and will get our new address on them soon.. We are both EU nationals.

In the first apartment we lived in 2010 we paid the higher rate, the next apartment the lower rate and now we are not actually sure how it will be in our new apartment. We assumed that we would pay the residential rate like previously but our landlord has turned out to be not so trustworthy (for example he claimed we have upgraded internet/TV, but when we checked the Go site for info it was clear our internet/TV package was not the upgraded one! Would have paid about 10€ extra every month for nothing if we had not checked that :/ ) ..so now I'm worried he'll charge us the higher rate. Do we have the right to demand to pay the lower rate?

Thank you in advance :)

milhouse wrote:

Do we have the right to demand to pay the lower rate?

Unfortunately not. It depends on what is in your lease contract.

georgeingozo wrote:
milhouse wrote:

Do we have the right to demand to pay the lower rate?

Unfortunately not. It depends on what is in your lease contract.

Thank you for your reply! Our lease contract doesn't specify the rate.

we dont have our names on the bill - but our landlord made sure that all three of us were named as consumer occupiers and as such we get the full discounted rates. All we had to do was complete the required forms - the landlord had to do his form and then we had to provide proof of id cards and residency certs and or tax status. Simple really - the percentage stated of 90% foreigners not getting this is IMHO not correct.....dont know what it would be or should be but i dont believe that percentage at all. many who dont get it either cant be bothered or dont want their existence here known for whatever personal reasons or as is stated here the landlord isnt declaring the revenue stream and as such doesnt want it known by the authorities....simple answer here is to ask the question before signing your contract, have it included or agreed in writing and if that cant be managed then go somewhere else....there are good landlords out there for sure.

spot on toonarmy - its a renters market, with tens of thousands of empty properties - if a landlord won't help with this (which costs him nothing unless he's breaking the law and not declaring his rental income), then how can you expect help over something that does cost him.

Absolutely. If the landlord wont play ball move on to the next. with over 50000 empty properties available there is not a problem for a renter...one of the benefits of renting as far as i am concerned.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

we dont have our names on the bill - but our landlord made sure that all three of us were named as consumer occupiers and as such we get the full discounted rates. All we had to do was complete the required forms - the landlord had to do his form and then we had to provide proof of id cards and residency certs and or tax status.

Same here. The landlord signed the form for me and I am now getting the reduced rate. You just (Tenant) just need to have a valid Maltese ID Card.

or if a person/consumer/occupier pays tax here then they need to provide evidence of it - usually a NI number or payslip will do.