Best, safest area of Quito to stay in a hotel

Hi,
I'm planning to visit Quito in May to explore possible retirement in future. The following are areas designated for hotel selections at various websites on Kayak, Travelocity, etc.  Which are best in terms of safety and access to transportation and any areas you recommend that one should avoid?

*Historic Centre
*La Carolina
*La Mariscal
*Quito and Vicinity

Ineffable thx!
Regards and Happy New Year,
PS

Can you tell us a bit more about the type of life or lifestyle you want? It would help narrow the areas you're interested in.

Btw they all good safety and transport wise, except for #4, don't know what you mean.

If you want to live in Quito, visit the area you think you want to live in.

In terms of transportation, Mariscal wins my vote.  You can walk to all kinds of great places -- restaurants, clubs, the Irish pub, hair salon/massage venues, dollar-a-pop DVD stores, banks, bakeries, Gringo Central aka Foch Plaza, sports bars, juice bars, and eateries featuring a host of foreign cuisines.

The above list is partial.

cccmedia

As for safety, most of Centro Histórico closes up soon after dark.  Don't stay there if you prefer nighttime venues.  Streets get deserted so you may not feel safe after the tránsito cops leave major intersections at 9 p.m.

Mariscal is hopping till late, but -- while I have never encountered problems there since moving to Quito in 2013 -- safety is not guaranteed. 

Carolina has the edge on nighttime safety, but the restaurants and other venues are spread out and you would be taking more taxis.   Avoid Parque la Carolina after dark.  Guys used to jump down out of the trees at night .. and theoretically still could.

cccmedia

Hi, V S and ccc,

I won't be out on the streets at 9 p.m. This is exactly the info I needed to narrow my hotel search. 
Thank you both for the particulars!

PS

My rule of thumb is the more north one is the safer the areas you listed. So, La Mariscal is safer than Centro Histórico, and La Carolina is safer than La Mariscal. Having stated that I´ve never had a problem in any of these areas. However, Centro Histórico is an area I´m not 100% comfortable with as some of the people there look a little too rough in the face. So, that´s one area that I would feel uncomfortable after dark. But hey, what do I know I don´t live in that area, but it´s definitely a top destination from a touristic pov. 

La Mariscal is okay, it has some open areas to the south or parque Ejido, and to me that is very important to feel comfortable. I´ve never felt uncomfortable there but I´ve been warned by friends who hang-out there to not walk around as there are some delinquents who look for trouble, but this is for late hours. However a friend of mine (bartender) who works in Plaza Foch area goes home very late on a bike to put it in perspective. If this is an exploration trip, then you´ll be within walking distance of some areas that are favorable to some expats.

La Carolina is not really for the ordinary tourist because one will be turned off by the prices, and because it´s an area that looks modern. However IMHO it´s second to none in terms of safety, amenities, and appearance. Carolina park is just beautiful, and it´s safe after dark and upto 8:30 P.M or once people start to dwindle. I jog routinely around 8 P.M with no issues, walk across it from Shyris to Amazonas with no problems. As a matter of fact, around 6-7 P.M that´s when people come to enjoy it after work. As for transportation, the buses are mainly on 6 de Diciembre which can take you south or north on the Ecovia. If one doesn´t want to walk from one end of the park because of distance, then you can take the buses on either Shyris or Amazonas. The Amazonas (on Amazonas ave) bus also takes you right to La Mariscal and Parque Ejido.

Safety aside, IMHO, Centro Histórico is touristy and oldish. La Mariscal is for art and nighlife. La Carolina sector is the "central park" of Quito. If you visit Carolina, stand on the corner of Quicentro on Shyris and marvel at the splendor.

Thanks so much, VS. I need to take a snapshot of these emails.  BTW, I'm a single senior female - no spring chicken - but I too enjoy a walking/workout regimen -- and am often ready to recline by 10 p.m.  :)

Regards,
PS

peripatetic_soul wrote:

BTW, I'm a single senior female - no spring chicken

When she was six years old, my sister Judy heard our grandmother say she was “no spring chicken” any more.

Judy asked her, “Grandma, did you used to be a chicken?"

Double post

Thanks so much, VS. I need to take a snapshot of these emails.  BTW, I'm a single senior female - no spring chicken - but I too enjoy a walking/workout regimen -- and am often ready to recline by 10 p.m.  :)

This is a daytime and early evening city for the most part so it'll suit your hours. The exception is only Plaza Foch area on weekends and some specific places throughout the city that open late. My area has tons of seniors (Ecuatorianos) and they hangout at some places I hangout at and I observe them staying until 9 or 10 PM. But by that time the crowd generally changes at these venues.

It's however an acquired taste type of city. The more ones social circle grows and Spanish improves the better and safer it becomes.

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : please post in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct