Oceanfront/ Beach, coastal real estate?

where is a good hotel to stay in, on the beach

Get on the Expat Exchange blog. The lady at the Oceanhideaway is one of the main bloggers in Salinas. She is very helpful. I have had lots of nice people answer many questions about living on the coast, and where to go.

Some people likes Coco's (US$40/night), some go to the Hotel Blue (US$ 80/night but with pool and an oceanfront restaurant) some who want 5* go to the all inclusive at Barcelo Colon Hotel (125/night) but I never heard good things about the Barcelo services.
There are some good hotels one or two blocks back from the coastline like the Hotel Amira or the Hotel Chipipe.

We stayed at Coco's, was very noisy as it is right on the malecon. I would recommend the Hostal Big Ralph's just a few blocks from the malecon in downtown Salinas. Super clean rooms, safe area with great food from the on-site restaurant.(Ralph is the chef)
For confirmation, read the reviews about Big Ralph's on the TripAdvisor website.

Oh yes, is true I forgot, Big Ralph's in Salinas. Clean, neat, affordable, family operated (very kind people!), English spoken, classic trained British chef, excellent food.

Looking to buy a house close to the beach.