Living in NL while working US Remote Job

Hello everyone!

I am a US Citizen dating a French citizen. We both live in NYC with remote positions based in the US, paid in USD. We would like to determine the legality and taxation if we were to move to NL while keeping our US based jobs.

Would a Long Term Stay Visa (or alternatively a spouse-visa if we were to get married) allow me to continue working my US-based job while living in Amsterdam? Are there any complications or double-taxation issues that I should be researching? Does anyone have experience living in NL but working a US-based position?

Any advice or help in the matter is greatly appreciated!

Welcome on board  :cheers:

I can't help you much but I do know one thing for sure: no matter where you are in the world, if you work you need to pay taxes in the USA.

There are so much threads on this topic floating around on the site that it will be best for you to use the search bar to find them.
Or go to the USA forum for better replies.

You will need a residence permit to live and work as self-employed in Holland; this link will take you to the relevant section of the IND website that explains this.  At the top of this page is a series of links, select the handy tools option and it will take you to a series of articles relevant to moving to and living in Holland.

Where you pay taxes is decided by your country of residence.  Also, US citizens living abroad still have to submit a tax return to the IRS and depending how much you earn, also a State Tax return and you can still be liable for US taxes.  I'd advise you to speak to a US tax expert for the current data and the consequential US tax implications.

Also, while there is a double-taxation agreement between the US and NL (which means you won't be taxed twice on income), that the Dutch tax system has additional social taxes which are not included in the agreement and you'll have to pay in Holland.

You also need to consider the compulsory medical insurance.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I do not know a lot but I know so to stay here for a long time you need to have a job based in the NL. My husband's salary is coming from US but he works for a company here in the NL and we are Europeans. So our taxation is only back in US. For example you will not able to get easily a credit card here. You have to justify where you pay taxes and wait maybe a year so to have a normal credit limit. Things might be different if you get married with your girlfriend, because she is European. So maybe you can just have to renew frequently your visa and be able to stay longer. That is what a couple does where the wife is French and the husband from Venezouela.