The holiday season in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

Are you about to celebrate the holiday season in Dominican Republic? In many countries and cultures, the festive season is the time for happiness and reunions/gatherings. Is it so in Dominican Republic? How do Dominicans celebrate this very special time of the year?

What about you? Will you spend the holiday season in your host country or in your home country? Will there be expat reunions/celebrations/parties in your region/town/area?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

Priscilla

This will be my 16th Christmas here. The 24th is the big day. In preparation, on the 23rd we kill and roast a pig. 50 kilos at least, I've found 55 kilo pigs to be even more delicious.
Then on the 24th we have a huge feast with family and friends. In my little farm town as well as the whole country, everybody is having roasted pork. I start with a meal at my house then I visit 4 other families and try to eat at least a little of each families feast. Very happy times!!

Christmas on a Tropical Island.
We redecorated the house, painting and fixing the floors with the typical multcolored cement/concrete, so the mess has cleared a lot. That is a big job, but it looks very noce now.

We will be celebrating the holidays in my host country, the Dominican Republic. That will involve a lot of preparation because we are expecting guests from Holland as well as from St Maarten.

What the local food will do to their stomachs, we will have to see, I know I like the way they roast pork here. At least there is one reassurance, Dutch people like food as much as anybody. If there is any of it left, there are always people worse off then we are.

The tree is up, thanks to a grandaughter, and of course there is the obligatory decoration of La Galeria, now with capital letters, beacuse it is so beautiful, and all handcrafted.
The Dominican people are very religious and although I am not that crazy about Christmas, I hope we will have a nice time celebrating as a family.

Both my wife and me hope all of you have a nice time too, and think about your neigbour please. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Christmas here is a lot of fun. It is far far less commercial which I love.  It is much more about family and community and of course parties.

It will start early in December and run until about January 10th.  Expect to dance and have fun as much as you want.

HOWEVER be aware it is also dangerous.  First of all they are lax with drinking and driving laws. Many people drink and drive and think nothing of it!  Be careful.

Second  by law Dominicans who work legally will receive a payment in December equal to  1/12 of what they earned this year.  (that is simplistic as it can be a complicated calculation).   In other words many receive a  13th paycheck.  That means money on the streets!  That means people who wish to take advantage of it!!!!  Be careful.

Invited to a Dominican  dinner or fiesta - take a simple small gift - depending on the economic status of the hosts adjust accordingly. Do not go all out buying gifts here.  Keep it simple and moderate.

Want to make a difference?  Put together a Christmas dinner hamper and find a family who needs it. Include the basics and a few treats! It is much appreciated.

Christmas dinner here is on Christmas Eve, not Christmas day.

I am hosting an orphans Christmas dinner with turkey for all my friends and associates who want to join us! 

Then on Christmas day.............well yes,....... I will go dancing!   I can dance  12 hours easily on Christmas day.......LOL

I like your hamper idea

You get it Planner ! Excellent information. I have spent about 20 Noche Buenas here since 1983. I am aghast at the Commercialization in EEUU. My 93 yo Momma broke her hip, in November, she gets out of P/T Rehab tomorrow, so Ibam travelling to Chicago tomorrow. Sunday, OHare cancelled 1,200 flights due to snow. Looking forward to seeing family and friends. My Dominican Girlfriend and family (mostly kids) are upset that I am leaving ! I have promised everyone that their Rich Gringa Abuela is sending lots of presents back ! My Mother sold the giant old family homestead this summer, so no telling where my Winter Clothes are ! Feliz Navidad to all ! Sorry to sound negative ... I just want to stay here, and go to drumpfhs Uhhmerika in the warm season !! Ummm, my girlfriends father has a huge caliche oven, and is famous for his lechon asado !! Cooks between 50 and 75 lechons !! Oh well, I get to drink Martinis wiff my Momma !!