Dealing with homesickness in Austria

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Austria can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Austria? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hallo.

I am also somebody who came since few Months ago.  For me its not easy to avoid that  need of remembering and wanting to be where you belonged and felt really at home. i remember the natural meals just from the garden and etc. the freedom to do any rightful business and earn extra money. But at the end of the day One remembers the Purpose which made him or her to come here or go where she or he is at the moment and then life goes on while being helped by whats app and etc. About food .for us Africans ,Asian shops ,Nigerians one help us to eat something africanishes and chinise restaurants helps auch especially theri buffet. About clubs ,I must say that I am not expert on that area but i welcome the advice and knowledge of others in this regard. make where you are your Home.

Hmm...homesickness- as I am fully in love with Austria and the stunning landscapes and cities we have here, I personally have not suffered with this ailment. My wife on the other hand has somewhat. Mainly missing her family. She speaks to them a lot online on messenger or facebook. Skype too is an option. Occassional visits from the family helps too. Worrying about relatives also causes pain, but when you stay in touch with the British press, hear about Brexit and all the violence and racism that has brought to the fore, then the uncleanliness, litter on the streets, and the levels of crime in England. Here anybody can leave their front door open, leave their bike unlocked and still expect to find it, and Sundays ARE special as NO shops are open, and the traffic levels in the town are much diminished. The town is also a lot quieter too, and there is no desperation to get any shopping done. No there is not that much, other than family to pull us back to the UK, unless the government criples ex pats living in Europe, and we are forced to come back...