Expand your social circle in Austria

Hello everyone,

Moving to Austria means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Austria? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

I joined a couple of clubs in Villach and Klagenfurt , Austrian Brit club in Klagenfurt and the English round table in Villach also joined a mixed Choir in my home town of Hermagor  6 weeks after I got here so got  to know the locals ,  I have made holiday apartments in my house in Hermagor so get to meet people from all over Europe in summer and winter. I  had contact with other landladies a few are English so have that circle of friends too. You have to try to mix in with the locals  and being on my own it was hard as I haven't got the language here , ( at my age the computer to learn languages has shut down a long time ago  and my computer says it's not in computer so forget it it's not important !, I want to learn but my brain just won't ) .