Robbed in Dar Es Salaam

Hi All
Sad to report that I was robbed in Dar Es Salaam last Thursday - right from the breakfast buffet area of my Hotel (Hotel Colesseum in OysterBay).

I came into the restaurant area placed my laptop bag on the seat in full view of staff and other guests sitting around. This seat was right in sight of vision of one guard and one doorman who were there when I kept the bag.

Saw (but did not notice) couple of well-dressed Asian looking guys standing around / talking on the mobile. Went back to get a cup of tea or juice and came back in less than 2 minutes. In this the bag was switched with a similar bag of same color and shape (but different material and ofcourse containing nothing). In fact even I did not realise till after some time that the bag was not mine.

Ofcourse there was a CC TV but such a pathetic quality that it is not possible to identify the two people - even if they were Asian or European or Martians). And when the incident happened (which is captured on tape), strangely both hotel staff have moved away from the door for exactly those two minutes for some strange reason.

Bad luck and time for me I guess -lost laptop, passport, iportant documents, one card ... indeed some precious moments from my life. But primarily lost trust in this hotel (and Asian people local to this country - just kidding - one incident does not mean all people are bad and I was careless on my part too).

The local police gave out a report very fast but threw up their hands saying it cannot be recovered. So no choice but to go through time consuming and expensive process of rebuilding all documents.

Well, be cautious people - in this country, one cannot even trust or take for granted basic security or safety in hotel like Colesseum.

Take care
Best Regards
Gautam

(Note: Detailing this incident to caution others and still hoping to enjoy the rest of my rip ... oops Trip to Dar)

:( Thanks for sharing!

I think now it`s too late , but why don`t you speak directly with some of the guards of the hotel.Many of them are very close with the thiefs ,so offer them some money to find minimum your documents.You can try on the same way with some policeman from the area.Offer them some tip and maybe you can receive something back.

Hi
iT IS ALL OVER YOU CAN'T GET THE THINGS BACK IT NEVER HAPPENS HERE,TAKE A BREATH AND SAY IT IS OK NOW.
hORRR

Welcome on board venkatash ;)

Can you please avoid lettering please.

Regards

Thanks for sharing in the Expat.com as it may be helpful for many to have a nice trip without any rip.........

The only solution is Do not trust any one take care of your personal belongings. :)

I agree.... offer a payment for the return of your specific things: passport, keys, documents. Add an additional amount for the laptop - even $100. The colloseum is a rip off from start to finish... I used to go to their gym. The staff they employ at the gym are from the riff raff parts of Magomeni. In the men's room I would ALWAYS encounter underwear that were  hung up to dry that were from what people call 'mitumba' (I hope my spelling is right). Not value for money. for the same price, the southern sun was much better. No defamation intended here please.

Back here after a long time to see if any messages after I left Dar Es Salaam. Thanks guys for the replies.

Btw I totally agree that the Colosseum hotel is a rip-off and totally untrustworthy. The hotel did not claim 1 cent worth of responsibility and on top of it over-charged me in my final bills. The bills were expensive but this hotel is thoroughly CHEAP! :-)

But anyways, what I carried out from Tanzania is not this bad experience and memories but the memory of the really nice people in Dar Es Salaam (Indian expatriates, Indian High Commission staff as well as some local Tanzanians). I cannot begin to describe how each of these people helped me across after the incident till the day I left Dar Es Salaam. Let me list one incicent only - we went for a 4 day trip to Ngorongoro/ Serengati in my last week there. But we were having too much luggage including another laptop (after the one that was stolen I managed to get another one for work).

So one very nice family (thanks Maharashtra Mandal Dar Es Salaam) that we met just 2 days before this trip graciously offered to store our luggage for us for the duration of the trip. We could keep the bags/ laptop with them safely and went on the trip with a peace of mind. Who helps strangers like that nowadays? So trust still exists.

I can say honestly that even after the bad experience, I liked the people in Dar Es Salaam - they are cheerful and optimistic despite the constraints they are living in - and I do hope to return soon for more work and fun.

But NO COLLESSEUM now on please ;-)

Cheers
Gautam

Good to see such positive attitude !

Losing bags in any place is a common affair. Dont keep valuables on a table in public area. The crime is done by mostly drug addicts who are omnipresent. I used to carry expensive cameras in a backpack and hardly anyone knows what it contains. This is not only in Africa. I lived in Malaysia and heard stories similar to this. In Singapore it is safe. No one dares to pick up even if a 100 dollar bill is lying on a common area. You are watched through cameras. One more thing: These drug addicts do not care about the nationality. Even Tanzanian Africans are ripped.

I work in mental health and everyone love to blame the drug addicts!!! This is really bad!!!!
I am almost 100% sure that was the hotel staff that did this, they are the one that hire the so called drug addicts!!!!

Anitaa wrote:

Thanks for sharing in the Expat.com as it may be helpful for many to have a nice trip without any rip.........

The only solution is Do not trust any one take care of your personal belongings. :)

I do agree with u.