American to Parisian

Hello! [ Bonjour! ]

I would like to move to Paris, France. I do have some time before I would like to move but due to my "over-achieving nature" and the fact so many things go wrong when I don't plan thoroughly I'm starting ahead of time.

So lets get to it:

I would like to live in Paris, France after I finish school. Before I move I will be get everything needed to be registered as a Freelance/Self-Employed Stylist (cosmetologist, make up artist, and personal shopper) and would like to make that my occupation living in Paris, France also. I won't be bringing anything with me except a few clothes, important papers, and basic stuff I would need for the first few weeks there (I will buy everything else when I am physically there).

So with that in mind lets get to the important stuff:

What I do know:

That I should visit the place(s) I want to move
That I should known french
That I should research the place I want to live
That I should research laws and such to get accustom to where I want to live
That I should calculate a budget
That I should have a job/income before moving there

What I do not know:

If my occupation is self-employed (which means it most likely doesn't have a physical store) how would I go about getting a visa to live there properly?
Transportation around the city! What is best?
Looking on my own or with a real estate agent!? What is the best?

** If you know any more helpful information on the list or you just feel like giving some helpful tidbits feel free to ^.^

Thank you, very much! [ Merci beaucoup! ]

There are many things to know.... But, how long do you want to stay in Paris?

I have made the same kind of move and I can help you!

You can email me ** and then I can give you my number if you want.

I have experienced a lot of learning lessons since coming here 6 mos ago and can help and save you stress! Lol

Salut! Lara

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Share contact infos only in private please.
Olive France wrote:

There are many things to know.... But, how long do you want to stay in Paris?  I have made the same kind of move and I can help you! You can email me ** and then I can give you my number if you want.  I have experienced a lot of learning lessons since coming here 6 mos ago and can help and save you stress! Lol
Salut! Lara

Salut Lara,

I actually want to live there, if I can. I've always wanted to live abroad doing what I love and Paris, France is the prefect place for a Fashionista. I know there are different types of visa's that have different lengths of stay. If I could actually live there I don't care how much paperwork or research I have to do lol

Well it's still a bit of time till I move to Paris. I probably won't officially start planning still I start school in August 2016 (It's 1 year 3.5 months) which will give me plenty of time to plan everything to a "T" but if I can keep you're contact till when I start that would be great.

Hi Coudefoudre,

Welcome to https://www.expat.com! :)

We have an article on "Work visas in France" or in the  expat guide french version there is an article "Créer son entreprise en France".

Got also article about "accommodation in France".

Well, you might have a look at them.

All the best,
Christine
Expat.com

Hello,

It's impossible to live in Paris without a job, earning three times the rent price and big financial guarantees. An example. For a renting of 600€, you have a little room (about 10m2), so, you need earn 1800€ net and I have at least 6000€ as financial guarantee. Finding an accomodation in Paris "intramuros" is a jungle, a fight... You can live in subburbs but beware to dangerous places.

Be self-employed??? It's probably the most taxed work profile in France. I would be you, I'd apply to all fashion industries, stores, stylists, etc...

Good Luck!!!

STEFFIFI wrote:

Hello,

It's impossible to live in Paris without a job, earning three times the rent price and big financial guarantees. An example. For a renting of 600€, you have a little room (about 10m2), so, you need earn 1800€ net and I have at least 6000€ as financial guarantee. Finding an accomodation in Paris "intramuros" is a jungle, a fight... You can live in subburbs but beware to dangerous places.

Be self-employed??? It's probably the most taxed work profile in France. I would be you, I'd apply to all fashion industries, stores, stylists, etc...

Good Luck!!!

Thank you but what are you talking about? I never stated i would live in Paris without a job. I love to work. Anywhere it's going to be expensive that's just common sense. I've been living on my own since I was 18 and moved (by myself) to three different states I understand rent perfectly fine.  I don't care if it's taxed work it's something I love I'm not going to go astray just because it cost a little bit extra to follow my dream that just makes me want to work harder to secure it.  Also, I even stated I wanted to be a stylist so um? Not sure about the latter.

I do not need to know about the job market because I already know what I will be doing. The visa is all I need help with when it pertains to "a job"

Again thanks for your advice but that's what I'm looking for

To live in Paris for what you want to do is something I wouldn't recommend.
I'm french American so I know both worlds very well.
I would recommend you visit Paris but not live there to start out.  Any other large city like Lyon which isn't far from Paris but also very big in the fashion industry could be a good choice. I used to live and work there I loved it.
Paris I lI've in to its an amazing city but for someone who doesn't know france and self employed I wouldn't day it's the best first start for you.
I speak the language and have a dual nationality and family all over france so it was easy for me plus my uncle is in Paris.  Without all that I wouldn't have imagined doing or living there as my first start is france.
A lot of people like you go to Paris for self employment and plans like yours and fail miserably. Especially with the career you have in mine to make an income on it will be VERY DIFFICULT  in Paris for you as everyone is already doing it.

I would maybe recommend you try to do studys in Paris it would be easier. You could get to know people and the way france works learn the language and get a french or international diploma. This would be a great help for you of you are determined to go to Paris.

Also to get a visa you need to WORK self employment will most likely will not count and be over looked. This is another reason if you study even party time just for the language you can get a student visa to start out and maybe if you can make a good income with your self employment job they might look into it of high enough and give you a long term visa. Again. Self employment and long term visas are hard to get in france.

This is a late reply, and hopefully the OP has done some more research into working in Paris.  Many people have this dream, but it's time for a basic reality check.
You cannot apply for a work visa unless you already have a signed work contract from a business in France.
There is a complicated procedure for "artists and artisans" - talented people who do something that a French person could not do - but these visas are extremely hard to acquire.
So, you must apply for a "visitor" status, or if you wanted to enroll in school, a "student" status.  These are fairly easy to get, as long as you understand and provide all the required paperwork.
Remember that health insurance must cover the entire length of time of your visa. 
For example, if your visa begins on 1 April 2016 and expires on 31 March 2017, your health insurance that begins on 1 January 2016 and expires on 31 December 2016 will not be accepted unless you make arrangements to pay through 31 March 2017 and can provide proof in the form of a translated letter.
You would need to open a French bank account in order to secure a long-term apartment.  Since you won't be working, you would need to ask the bank to provide a "garantie" - blocking a year's worth of rent and charges in a separate account to be used by the agency in case you default on the rent.  The average rent for a decent studio apartment is around 800 EU, including utilities, with the addition of one month's rent deposit and about 2 months' rent in fees for the rental agency. 
You will also have to pay a yearly "taxe d'habitation" - the amount depends on the size and location of your apartment, in the case of a studio, probably a little  less than one month's rent - as well as find a company who will insure your apartment for fire, flood, etc.
You will have to set up direct payments for gas, electric and possibly water accounts - everything is paid by wire transfers, checks are being phased out.
It is extremely difficult to open a bank account if you are American, due to FATCA legislation.  Try to find international banks, such as Barclays, which would be the best choice.
If you try to work somewhere "under the table", you won't be paid a living wage, and your position can be terminated at a moment's notice.

These are just some of the things to consider before you decide that you can afford to move to Paris without a job.
After you arrive, you can worry about how you will afford to eat...