When can I renew/reapply for my long-stay visa?

Hi, all.

I'm in Paris on a long-stay visa as an au pair. I've been here since September and my visa is good until the coming September, but I've settled in and adjusted well and I want to stay much longer. My questions are these:
Do I have to wait until my current visa expires before going and getting a new one? Is it true that I must return to the States and apply there?
This is uuurgent urgent, as I've accepted a position with another host family for next year, though admittedly none of us knows what's going on and they're unable to answer these questions. I'm to meet with them today - I want to know if I should just tell them to find a different au pair before it's too late.

Thanks,
Emily

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli … its/F15813 (in french)
It seems there's a way to not go back in the USA and to be able to apply from France.

"Si vous souhaitez poursuivre votre séjour au delà d'1an en tant que jeune au pair en France, vous devez conclure une nouvelle convention d'une durée maximale d'1 an.
La demande de renouvellement de la carte se fait dans les mêmes conditions que pour la 1re délivrance."
They just say: if you wanna stay more than a year, you must do a new contract (1year maximum)
Same conditions applies for a new request than the first time you did ask for it. (so you've to give the same papers you gave to the embassy last time)

You should go to the prefecture of Paris to have further information or contact the embassy in Washington or contact the immigration ( http://www.ofii.fr/ )

I just asked this question at my OFII appointment. My long-term visa is from March 2019-March 2020. They told me I can make an appointment online starting in January...three months before my visa expires, but not before. Your local prefecture is the place to ask questions, but you probably must actually go to the office. Good luck.

You should not wait. You need to request an appt for renewal AT LEAST 2 months in advance. Good luck