Volunteer Work in Marrakech

Hi, I am doing some research into volunteer work in Marrakech.  I have been a bit disillusioned with the prices (and who the money actually benefits)on many of the websites I have found and was wondering if anyone living in Marrakech has any information on independant volunteer work, particularly with women and children, and children with special needs. 
I would rent an apartment in Marrakech, so do not want to do a foreign volunteer "package".
Any information would be much appreciated.
thanks
Karen

hello Karen,
i live IN Marrakech,what do you need exactly?
i am willing to help if i can

Cheers

Rachid

Hi Rachid
Thanks for your reply.
I'd like to contact an orphanage, or NGO in Marrakech, who would like some volunteer help for 1-3 months.  I am having trouble finding information on the internet in Australia.  I would arrange my own accommodation in Marrakech and do not want to do a volunteer package as I believe a large amount of the fees paid are kept by them and not enough goes to the people who need it.

Karen

hello....
ive been doing some volunteer work in marrakesh....its still a cost though.....its fairly annoying that we have to pay to VOLUNTEER to work but its just the way it goes. I dont think no cost volunteering exists but if you find one id love to hear about it

You in marrakesh now?

ME too i am here in MARRAKESH

But i work online

HAPPY XMAS

Hi Lisa Jane, no, I'm not in Marrakech yet, doing some research and enjoying the Aussie summer!
I know there is a cost to volunteering, but I'd rather my money go directly to the people who need it and work directly with an organisation in Marrakech rather than pay a middle-man sitting in a foreign office.
Might have to just lob up there and find my feet as I go.
cheers
Karen

What you need to do first is STAY in HOSTEL in OLD CITY  Right in MARKET PLACE  JEMAA  EL  FNA
here you Sleep cheap  and eat cheap

great atmoshere at hostel

and you learn quick from others
its only 100  MAD a  day   thats MAROC DINHARS

You can eat in MARKET ,,,,  SALAD MAROC 10  and  SOUP 14  OMLETTE  14  too  DINHARS  MAD

I stayed in Hostel Marrakesh  a week,The staff are very  very honest and HELPFULL, U see  that in the house  the powers with the WOMEN, in the HOSTEL a few MAROC families live there too
The RECEPTIONIST  MOHAMMED  is EXCELLENT   at RIAD  RAHBA   and KARIM at hostel

I had lots Computers  CAMERAS  KINDLE  CAMcorder  all in ROOM safe,, 

then HOTEL, then rented APARTMENT

HOTEL was  280 a night;  right on EDGE Maket  HOTEL TAZI

THATS where atmoshere is::  the NEW city is DEAD  STERILE   like GUELIZ  area where  KFC and MAC D  is

Karen,
I live her in Marrakech. I know it is frustrating to want to volunteer and find out you have to pay for that privilege. You have to remember that in Morocco the places that help people need money more than anything else. Most people who choose to volunteer have the ability to contribute cash as well, and it shows a certain commitment to the project. But, if you are able to provide for your own living expenses plus a very little administrative fee, I know of one organization that might be what you are looking to do.

Try contacting this man, Mr. Abdelghani Bakhach at  youthcommunication@yahoo.com

He run an organization by that name which is benefiting orphans here in Marrakech. I think he is also affiliated with an volunteer agriculture water project in the mountains, but I am not certain on that. The cost is extremely minimal 300MAD (approximately 30€ or $40)That is the cost for people who already have accommodations arranged. I originally contacted him to volunteer myself, but I had a personal issue arise that has prevented me from doing so. When my persoal issue is resolved, I am going to contact him again. Good luck on the search and I would love to know if you find what you are looking for.

Karen
I got the chance to locate a local contact for NGO, i will advise as i got any updated.

Rachid

hi karen

i just read your ad and i was having the same trouble....i have a place to stay in marrakech and just want to give some of my time free of charge....have you had any luck at all?

These volunteer agencies are more or less the same about requiring a fee. They will not take you seriously unless you are willing to pay a small administrative fee. Being NGO, they are dependent on very limited private funds. There are expenses to verify an applicant is who he claims to be and does not have criminal issues in Morocco. So understand that paying a small fee is just how it works. Also, you have to apply and submit Photo Identification, and offer a CV(or a resume)just as seeking paid employment. If they do not require that, they are NOT a legitimate organization.

Long before you pay anything, have a physical address, phone, and name of an administrator. Take that information and research it. Contact the United Nations, your Consulate, or a government tourism office here in Morocco. Most legitimate humanitarian agencies are well known and easy to verify. If you are having trouble doing that, the agency is probably not a real NGO and might be a front for fraud. That is not a big problem in Morocco; but if they are not giving specific information about their base of operation or a site location before you pay, it is worth being suspicious. If you can go or have someone go to where they are working, look around to see it first hand.

Attempting to convert anyone to another religion than Islam is against the law in Morocco. So if doing missionary work, absolutely remember you are welcome to practice what you believe, but NEVER pass out religious information or preach it.

Nothing good in life is easy. Keep trying.Please share what information you find.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]