I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get around the city

Just got to Nairobi a couple days ago. I will be taking some classes at Strathmore and doing some research for my master's degree the next few months. Making it a little further outside the apartment everyday. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get around the city and some fun things to do during my downtime.

Hi Jason,

Welcome on board  :)

This new thread on the Nairobi forum is dedicated to you. Feel free to drop any questions you may have.

What kind of activity are you looking for ?

Reading the blogs of expats can give you some ideas abo9ut what and how to do some activities : Blogs from expats in Nairobi

All the best
Bhavna

If you are daring enough the Motorbike or even cycling bits the traffic jam

Hi,
Not knowing where you live within the city, makes it difficult to be specific.

If you don't have access to a car, or taxi service, then Matatu, or buses are probably the safest option for getting around during the day - matatus are the (generally white) mini vans with a yellow band along the side.  You may need some help from someone to learn their routes, but it is a very cheap way of getting around.  If you can, avoid being on the road in the mornings and evenings - journey times can be extremely long to go just a few km.

Depending upon where you live, walking is one option, but on the whole is not recommended particularly after dark.  For example, I used to walk around the Westlands and Lavington areas, when we lived there.  The CBD is OK to walk around, but if you do decide to walk, make sure that valuables are out of sight.

After dark, you really should be driven to and from your destination.  Other methods are unsafe.

I don't recommend using motorcycle taxis.  Although they are the cheapest form of transport, apart from walking, the accident rate is particularly high.  Cycling is also risky, mainly because drivers will not take any notice of you.  Many roads have steep shoulders, so getting out of the way can be difficult.  Interestingly, the government is keen to promote cycling, particularly for commuting, due to the horrendous traffic problems in the city.

I would suggest you get matatus/mini buses but that depends also on the time you intend to commute from one place to the other and your budget as well.they are much cheaper than cabs and the majority of people use them.It also depends on where you want to visit and where you live.I study in strathmore as well and commuting there is not a problem,there are many matatus available and they are safe.Hope this helps

Hi

Your interest would determine what options are available.If you like going out each day of the week you would be able to find out what's happen in different places.If you love art go down center, National Thearte and Alliance always have performances during the week mostly in evening. On the expart you would check and join small groups taking day trips .Hope you enjoy your stay in a Nairobi

Hi Jason,

Most expats in Nairobi that don't have their own vehicles tend to rely on a combination of taxis and boda bodas (motorcycle taxis) to get around. Given the enormous variance in quality, reliability, and trustworthiness of individual taxis, most people (Kenyans included) tend to have "their guys," taxi drivers with whom they develop long-term working relationships, and on whom they'll rely for everything. When their guy isn't available he'll send his trusted colleague or the client will call a friend for a personal recommendation to another trusted driver. Such situations are great when they work, but for many reasons having a very small network of trusted drivers has its limitations.

The bottom line is, you should always work with drivers whom you know and trust to avoid being overcharged or left stranded in a bad situation.

Safe travels,

Jason

Moderated by Naomi 8 years ago
Reason : Do not promote your services on the forum, please register in business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Jason,

Please note, this forum should not be used for advertising.

Hi Jason, let me know when your free we can make plans and i can show you around :D

Inbox me...

If you're experienced at riding motorcycles, just get a cheap but sturdy bike like the apache 160cc. You'll save a lot of money and mental anguish in our traffic. The only downside is that you'll have to be very careful on Kenyan roads. If you need further pointers, just let me know. ( I commute with a bike )