3 Year TRC (Temporary Residence Card) without work permit

I didn't when I arrived back from the ME in December.

Correct!  :)

thanks guys , so that means ,when you get a TRC ,you dont need to have a VEC or any sort of Visa sticker on the passport !!! , so you just show the TRC  along with the passport from any departure country to come back Vietnam

i was confused , because i been in 4 -5 countries ,where i had Temporary residency CARD ,ID , But there was a stamp in each country i was there !!

Well if your TRC is aligned with a VEC, of course you have a sticker in your passport.

Both VEC and TRC have your PP no. on them.

Technically, you should have transferred your VEC to your new PP first.
Then, apply for a TRC.
Here in Saigon  VEC and TRC are issued from two different immigration offices. (Refer to post #89 on this thread).

As said by other posters, when you have a TRC you don't need a visa.
At the airport just give your PP and TRC together to the immigration.

In case your VEC is still on your old PP, always keep it close at hand. They may want to see it.

Make sure your new PP no. is on your TRC.

HI all ,

do they cancel the Visa exemption when you get the TRC ,

Normally, they just ignore

But they cancel mine ,they put a seal saying -used/; het get tra ,on the Visa exemption,it's a red color seal ,

I want to apply for temp resident card because it will open doors and I want to get my Vietnam drivers licence too which I need residence to get it and keep legal, girlfriend say I cant unless I am an investor of government business or married to her.
i travel there 6 times a year for 10 to 20 days per time
I Have a business back in Australia and was not thinking of investing  just to get a liciences and better status while i am in vietnam,
does anyone know another way or general way to get temporary Residence card?

You dont need a TRC to get a license. I would advise getting a 1 year business visa. What your gf told you about obtaining a TRC is correct except it doesnt have to be a government business.

she has a import business of sewing machines, perhaps she can write me a letter of employment. I don't actually want a job I have a business in Australia.
The licence thing is confusing because the licence department said I must have temp residence to hold a Vietnam licence
where can I start searching to get a drivers licence with out residence,
1 year business visa, but I have no business in Vietnam nor a job?

What will she employ you as. She would also have to pay tax as she must show your income. The person at the licensing has told you complete lies. If you want I can PM you a guy who can do it, he does may aussies licenses. Read this......

https://www.citypassguide.com/en/living … in-vietnam

You dont need a business or job to get a business visa. Do a search online, many places offering it as a VOA (visa on arrival)visa.

I can pay her tax, I don't want to work
I run my backpackers business from there  while I'm out and about enjoying Vietnam. to get involved in her business is less desirable the money is crazy low but I can pay her tax, it would be a small amount because wages would be very low, she pays one of her girls 6 million VND a months
. would I have to be casual or full time? yes I think the friend of yours could be a good option to get the paperwork rolling

oh girlfriend said she will employ me, oh god I haven't been employed for 15 years

Best you discuss it with her. If you dont have a degree in her field of work you will need to get someone to show your 5 years experience in that field and get it notarised in Australia. To be honest, I would just get a 1 year business visa and save yourself a lot of hassles...police check, medical check, residential check, all for the work permit.

I'm an Industrial engineer and 20 year business experience qualifications no problem .
Her business could do with my help really, its ran poorly.
confusion and no safety or organization, they purchase equipment with out thought of the market its for and machines have been sitting around for 12 months as stock but no one wants. but I cant tell her that she is proud of her achievement
I will look into your other option too regards Peter

Perhaps you are missing the 800 pound gorilla in the room. 

Peteryin wrote:

girlfriend say I cant unless I am an investor of government business or married to her.

Are you sure she isn't nudging you toward the latter?

Hahahaha possibly

I got my business licencr in 6 weeks.
Then I got my TRC in 10 days.

DELAFON wrote:

I got my business licencr in 6 weeks.
Then I got my TRC in 10 days.

1)  Could you tell us what kind of business you are in?

2)  Is your TRC related to your business ownership?

Hello everyone,

Please note that we have put aside some posts (misinformation).

Have a nice day,
Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Please note that we have put aside some posts (misinformation).

Hopefully without prejudice against those who questioned the first post in the group.

Wow. Cant even say "under the table.". Getting a little bit too PC lately.

is she allowed to employ a foreigner when a local can do the job, ???????????????? doubt it

I am still relatively new to the EXPAT Forum navigation and posting capabilities. I apologise if I have raised my questions in an incorrect way with this thread.

I have read two extensive threads on VECs and this TRC. I have some questions I hope members may be able to help me with.

BACKGROUND

I am married to my lovely Vietnamese wife. I am a UK citizen. I currently have a 5 Year VEC (180 day visit) that was issued by the Vietnamese Embassy in London.

I am researching what I need to do to get a Spouse-TRC if this is possible.

QUESTIONS:

1.     Do I have to go to the Immigration Office in HCM to pay a fee and get a receipt every time I visit Vietnam even if my visit is less than 3 months. Do I need to get a police stamp when I visit Vietnam?

2.    Am I eligible to apply for a 3-5 Year Spouse TRC since I have a 5 Year VEC?

3.    Do you have to live in Vietnam for a specified period of time (i.e.3 months – 6 months - 1 year) before you can apply for a 3-5 Year Spouse TRC?

4.    Do I need to get a Residential Document (House Book) stamped from a Station House Officer at Spouse/Applicant's current Ward Police Station each time I visit Vietnam? Can I use my wife's brother's address in Vung Tau as a residence for my wife and I? Does he have to register us living with him at his local ward police station in Vung Tau? Could this cause problems for him?

5.    Does the Ward Police Station have the required House Book or Resident Document? If not, where do I get this boo/document?

6.    Does anyone know a reliable immigration agent in HCM that could help me with getting a Spouse TRC if I am able to do this?

I sincerely appreciate any assistance members may be able to offer.

Kytain wrote:

I am still relatively new to the EXPAT Forum navigation and posting capabilities. I apologise if I have raised my questions in an incorrect way with this thread.

I have read two extensive threads on VECs and this TRC. I have some questions I hope members may be able to help me with.

BACKGROUND

I am married to my lovely Vietnamese wife. I am a UK citizen. I currently have a 5 Year VEC (180 day visit) that was issued by the Vietnamese Embassy in London.

QUESTIONS:

1.     Do I have to go to the Immigration Office in HCM to pay a fee and get a receipt every time I visit Vietnam even if my visit is less than 3 months. Do I need to get a police stamp when I visit Vietnam?

2.    Am I eligible to apply for a 3-5 Year Spouse TRC since I have a 5 Year VEC?

3.    Do you have to live in Vietnam for a specified period of time (i.e.3 months – 6 months - 1 year) before you can apply for a 3-5 Year Spouse TRC?

4.    Do I need to get a Residential Document (House Book) stamped from a Station House Officer at Spouse/Applicant's current Ward Police Station each time I visit Vietnam? Can I use my wife's brother's address in Vung Tau as a residence for my wife and I? Does he have to register us living with him at his local ward police station in Vung Tau? Could this cause problems for him?

5.    Does the Ward Police Station have the required House Book or Resident Document? If not, where do I get this boo/document?

6.    Does anyone know a reliable immigration agent in HCM that could help me with getting a Spouse TRC if I am able to do this?

I can't answer all questions.

But I did it this way:
I moved in September 2017 with a 3 months multiple entry tourist visa to HCMC.
About 2 months later I was married and applied for a 3 year TRC (I used the service of a translation office).
About one week later I got the TRC.
I am not exactly sure about the procedure (my wife talked with the people), aber I remember I had to bring the passport, the visa and the marriage certificate.

Go with your wife to this translation office http://dichthuat.org/de/dolmetschdienst-in-vietnam/ (you can email the boss and ask "phungocviet[at]gmail.com" or go direct to the office), pay about 500$ and you get the TRC after about a week. Maybe other expats know other such services.
I let also convert my driving license for about 500k Dong at the same translation office.
I remember we had to go to the administration of my wife's hometown in order to legalize (or something else) a form. But I don't anymore remember whether the form was for the driving license or for the TRC.  :unsure

Update (I forgot to mention):
You can only apply a TRC for the time your passport is valid.
You don't anymore must leave Vietnam periodically after you have a TRC.

Thank you for your comments Andy. I will explore the translation option.

I do hope some others have answers to the questions I raised

Kytain

Get your wife to go to immigration and apply for the TRC, it costs 150 usd for 3 years.

Thank you for your reply.  This TRC thread has a great deal of information including the points you put forward. I have read this and another extensive VEC thread on the forum, In the interest of not loosing the questions I read earlier I am reposing them because they were not raised in the threads I read.

BACKGROUND

QUESTIONS:

Kytain wrote:

Allow me to come back with a question.  Is your wife still a Vietnamese citizen or a dual citizen?  If so, she should have a VN passport and still be registered in a house book (sổ hộ khẩu). She may need to still have her VN citizenship to sponsor you for the TRC but I should emphasize that my statement is not based on first hand experience.  If not, she herself would need to have her relatives assist in obtaining a TRC for herself.  If not a citizen, your wife may not be able to assist you in obtaining a spousal TRC.   Perhaps someone else can say if your in-laws can apply for you as well.  What you have now, the VEC, is nominally for "visiting relatives" and is available to both overseas Vietnamese and their spouses and children.  The VN party does not have to be a citizen but must be able to show their Vietnamese antecedents.

Kytain wrote:

With your VEC, you enter the country and get a passport stamp at the airport, free of cost.  The stamp should also have a notation re: the maximum length of stay but different people have had border control agents not do this.  Take care not to overstay.

Kytain wrote:

Yes, again assuming your wife is still a VN citizen.

Kytain wrote:

I have never heard anyone mention a minimal stay but it does stand to reason that you can't obtain a TRC while still overseas.  If you are not in VN, you logically can't be registered as a resident.

Kytain wrote:

If you are just visiting you don't have to do anything.  If you stay with your brother-in-law for more than a few nights he needs to notify the local police, not you.  If your wife is not in your brother-in-law's book, it may be an indicator that she is no longer a citizen.

Kytain wrote:

The head of the household holds the sổ hộ khẩu.  He only takes it to the government when changes are needed.

Hi THIGV, Thank you very much for your insight. I have organised my reply to your questions and request for a little more information using the format I had with my original thread.

BACKGROUND

Yes, my wife (My Dung Thi Do) is still a Vietnamese citizen. We are married, and she now lives with me in England. She does not have dual citizenship.

My still has her House Book. When we were married (2017) My sold her house in HCM City. I am not sure what happens with a House Book (so ho Khuu) when a Vietnamese citizen sells their house  and moves overseas. Does it become null and invalid? Is it still valid waiting to be updated with a new residential status in Vietnam?

The House Book appears to be my biggest challenge in getting a Spouse TRC. Currently My and I visit Vietnam every year for less than 3 months.

Do I need to get my name entered into my wife's HCM House Book or My's Brother's (Nam) House Book in Vung Tau for a Spouse TRC?

1.    Thank you for your comments. I understand now.

2.    Thank you for your comment I understand.

3.    I had thought My and I would have to be living in Vietnam to pursue getting a Spouse TRC. I
       wasn't sure about this. People in this thread seemed to indicate it was a simple straight forward
       process and never touched on this requirement. Moving to Vietnam permanently is still on the
       horizon for me right now.  This suggest getting a Spouse TRC is also on the horizon. Would you
       agree?

4.  When I carefully read this thread a number of members stated a person needs to get a House
     Book stamped from a Station House Officer at a local Police ward.

-    When you go to the Immigration Office to Apply for a S-TRC does the person applying have to
        take a House Book with them? If my Brother - in -Law's House Book was used would he need to
        be present?
-    If my Brother-in-Law helped with a S-TRC are there any potential problems he might face?

5..  Your comment “The head of the household holds the sổ hộ khẩu.  He only takes it to the
       government when changes are needed.”

-    Where do you go to get a brand New House Book (sổ hộ khẩu)?
-    When changes are made to an existing House Book (i.e. if my name gets added to my Wife's HB
        or Brother-in-Law's (Nam) HB and subsequently stamped by local police ward) do you HAVE TO
        GO to a government office to show this has happened? I was thinking I could start to use my
        Brother-in-Law's Hand Book with yearly visits to Vietnam to establish a history (audit trail) of
        living in Vietnam before applying for a S-TRC. If I did this, I would not want Nam to have to go to
        HCM from Vung Tau each year.

Best Regards
Kytain

Forget everything you were thinking about being registered in either your wife's or your brother-in-law's book.  I don't think you as a non-citizen can ever be entered in a sổ hộ khẩu whether you have a TRC or are on a visa.  Your presence has to be disclosed to the local police but you don't go in the book.  I also am pretty sure that your wife's book is invalid if she has sold the house.  The book serves as both a family register and an ownership document.  My adult brothers-in-law are in my mother-in-law's book.  They own land but no houses and rent apart from her but they stay in the book as do their own adult children.  I once posed the question to my wife of what happens to a Vietnamese if they do not own a house and have absolutely no relatives to put them in their book.  She could not even understand that situation except as a purely hypothetical.  To her all Vietnamese must have some relatives somewhere.

The next time you go to Vietnam, your wife should probably have her brother put her in his book if he has not already.  If you stay for more than a few weeks you may have to fill out an N-12 PHIẾU KHAI BÁO TẠM TRÚ or REGISTRATION CARD OF STAY with the local police.  (Google search "Mau N-12" and your first result should be a Word compatible form that you can download and print.)  This registers your status with the police but very importantly is not an immigration document.  If you decide to stay more than the original six months on your original entry stamp and wish to extend without leaving the country (there is currently a lack of clarity as to whether this is even possible) you will need this form.  It simply means that they know you are there.  If a Vietnamese lives away from home they have to register a similar form for temporary residence, although I believe there is talk of ending that.  Right now a non-home owner living in HCMC with parents in Hanoi is most likely still in their parents Hanoi book.

I am not sure which office the book holder goes to for changes, perhaps district party headquarters, but the homeowner doesn't make changes and then go to show the government.  The officials make the changes at the office. 

To get the spousal TRC you don't have to show a pattern of arrival and departures as you are contemplating.  You simply need to be living in Vietnam together with your wife.  Go back to the original posts on this thread.  If I were you I would stick with the VEC for now and only think about a TRC if you settle in Vietnam semi-permanently.  I think if I recall correctly, the TRC is actually slightly more expensive than the TRC on a per year basis but is more convenient as you do not need to have any new passport stamps during the three years.

THIGV is correct. The family book is only for VN citizens. When my wife was issued her family book after regaining her citizenship she inquired about including my name in it.  Although we've been married for over 40 years and I have a PRC she was told its only too show residency of Vietnamese citizens in Vietnam.  When you understand the purpose of the book that makes sense. Regardless, that cumber son requirement/system is being phased out and replace which a new Nation ID card like they had prior to 1975. Which makes even more sense. I'd stick with the VEC  if I were you for now like THIGV recommends.
Rick

I'm certain your wife cannot be added to her brother's hộ khẩu as part of his household. 

This is what I read on the website of Embassy of the Socialist Republic of VN in the USA.  Q&A are in Vietnamese, the translation and [...] are mine:

"Question:  I am about to move to the US with my husband, but I want to keep my Vietnamese nationality, will I be removed from [unspecific] residence registration?

Answer:  Article 22 of the 2006 Resident Law states:  'A person falling into one of the following cases shall be permanently deprived of permanent residence registration:  a) Death, declared missing or dead by the court;  b) To be recruited into the People's Army or the People's Police in concentration camps;  c) To have a cancellation of permanent residence registration as stipulated in Article 37 of this Law;  d) Going abroad for permanent residence;  e)  Have registered their permanent residence in new places of residence.'  Thus, if you move abroad, you'll be permanently deleted from [unspecific] permanent residence registration."

Your wife can only be part of her brother's hộ khẩu if it's a transfer from her previous hộ khẩu (she sold her house and moved in with her brother).  There cannot be a big gap between two hộ khẩu without a valid reason.

Thank you THIGV. The administrative requirements. surrounding a Spouse TRC are more comprehensive than I originally thought.

I will wait to pursue getting a S-TRC until My and I move back to Vietnam.

I will pursue getting  an N12 PHIE KHAI NAI TAM TRY completed with my upcoming trip to Vietnam in May

Budman1 can you find out where your wife got her Family Book after she regained her citizenship.

Thank you Ciambella. My wife's circumstances are similar to the Question you shared. Her situation falls under point d. with the Answer you shared.

I think I need to speak with a knowlegeble and reliable Immigration Agent to map out what my wife and I need to do NOW (taking into account our current circumstances) and our FUTURE plans with respect to moving back to Vietnam permanently.

COULD ANY OF YOU RECOMMEND AN IMMIGRATION AGENT?

Kind Regards
Kytain
l

It is interesting that Budman1 and Ciambella have dissimilar opinions with respect to whether one can reestablish or be added to a house book but I suspect that empirically they both could be right.  In Vietnam, it depends on a lot of things , such as which province, which official you get, or maybe even whether he had a good lunch.

I never dealt with an immigration agent.  My wife is not well educated due to the premature death of her father, but that's another story.  However she easily handled obtaining my original VEC and all of its extensions.  From what I read here, most if not all immigration agents in Vietnam simply prey on peoples linguistic inability to deal with officials and obtain visas with a 100% or more markup.  Perhaps, as in the west, there are lawyers who specialize in immigration, but I would steer clear of the agents.  A lawyer may be more expensive but at least you can be reasonably assured that the documentation you receive is real, not fake.

THIGV wrote:

It is interesting that Budman1 and Ciambella have dissimilar opinions with respect to whether one can reestablish or be added to a house book but I suspect that empirically they both could be right.  In Vietnam, it depends on a lot of things , such as which province, which official you get, or maybe even whether he had a good lunch.

Oh no, I don't disagree with Budman at all. 

According to the Embassy Q&A, if a person moves abroad, s/he would be permanently deleted from residence registration.  That makes perfect sense because one can only be a permanent resident of one country or of no country, but cannot be a full time resident of two countries at the same time.

On the same token, if that same person resumes Vietnamese citizenship and moves back to live full time here, then s/he by all means can begin a NEW hộ khẩu legally because s/he has given up residency of the other country and is now a permanent resident of Vietnam.  I've known many repatriates who have done that, and their proof of intention was the purchase of a house and/or the starting of a new business of which they're either a sole proprietor or an active partner.

Two repatriates whom I know applied for NEW hộ khẩu with their VIetnamese citizenship and proof of a continuous residency of 1+ years (rental registration and passports without entry/exit stamp).

"I think I need to speak with a knowlegeble and reliable Immigration Agent to map out what my wife and I need to do NOW (taking into account our current circumstances) and our FUTURE plans with respect to moving back to Vietnam permanently.

COULD ANY OF YOU RECOMMEND AN IMMIGRATION AGENT?"

Kytain You don't need any assistance from a lawyer or a visa agent for this process. As you already have a VEC the rest is up to your wife it ain't hard stuff. VN immigration deals with this all the time and know whats required and what they'll tell her is to return to VN, re-establish residency, get issued a VN ID card and  her own "'hộ khẩu (for lack of better words) then start working on a TRC  for you at some later date. If you do choose to waste your money on a lawyer or agent you'll find out (a) you'll piss Immigration off from the start (b) most if not all the paper work that is required your wife will end up doing herself anyway and (c) it will take twice as long from start to end to get it accomplished and big bucks on top of it.

Rick