Visa situation after Jan. 1, 2013

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is thinking of relocating to Vietnam so I want to get some up-to-date information.

Since Jan. 1, 2013 the visa policy changed so that visitors coming on a pre-approved visa would only get a C1 tourist visa that is valid for a month, with an option to extend it once before having to leave the country.

Has anyone who arrived in 2013 succeeded in getting a B-class visa for 3 months or more? What was the procedure?

Thanks in advance!

that's news to me didn't know that.

So my visa that I got in 2012 that is good for 5 years and 90 days stay in Vietnam is now only good for 1 month?

Khanh,

What visa, man?  I think you got the Visa Exemption Certificate.  I don't think they hand out visas that long.

lol don't know what the difference is. But yeah it says visa exemption entitled to multiple entries until 13/01/2017 and duration of stay not exceed 90 days for each entry.

If it's all good than good to know.

That is what I thought.  Dude, with that, you are as close to being a Vietnamese as one can get.  You can stay here a lot longer than others, without having to worry about much, provided that you pay your ward police and city immigration officials a visit every 3 months.  Enjoy.

ssuprnova wrote:

Since Jan. 1, 2013 the visa policy changed so that visitors coming on a pre-approved visa would only get a C1 tourist visa that is valid for a month, with an option to extend it once before having to leave the country.

Has anyone who arrived in 2013 succeeded in getting a B-class visa for 3 months or more? What was the procedure?

Thanks in advance!

ssuprnova
You are stating the change as a matter of fact. Can I ask where your sources are for them?

At last check, Vietnamese embassies still issue 3 month, multiple visas, so do the plethora of online visa services.

For the procedures, I refer to the individual consulate services' websites or the online service websites themselves.

As for everyone else, if you want to get the most out of your visit to Vietnam, buy your tickets from a good Vietnamese travel agent, in or closest to your hometown.  He or see can get you much more than anyone else can.

The same can be said about shipping things here:  Vietnamese agents (oversea) can save you much much more...

No, I don't work in tourism, anywhere.  Neither do I have any interest in international shippings.  I just happen to know a little more about how things work in Vietnam.

Anatta,

When are you going to get rid of that avatar, man?  I know that is not you...  Wait!  No...  Can't be!!!

Wild_1 wrote:

That is what I thought.  Dude, with that, you are as close to being a Vietnamese as one can get.  You can stay here a lot longer than others, without having to worry about much, provided that pay your ward police and city immigration officials a visit every 3 months.  Enjoy.

Howie
To be 100% correct, not his police ward but the police ward of his sponsor, since what he would be doing after 3 months is a normal application for extension of his stay, just like anyone else whose visa is going to expire.

I have written about this here.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=186557https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=46856

The fees have been changed as I wrote here
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=219747

He can always get out of Vietnam and get in again (i.e. do a visa run) thus get automatically a new 3 month visa exemption.

Wild_1 wrote:

Anatta,

When are you going to get rid of that avatar, man?  I know that is not you...  Wait!  No...  Can't be!!!

Haha. You can't believe how many PMs from white dudes I get asking to meet up/coffee""exchange of cultures and languages" since I put on this avatar. Before that, zilch.

So why should I change to something else why a lot of people think is so attractive :lol:.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and potentially look the fool.

Alright, so from all I've been reading about this visa stuff and I'm a dummy who needs to broken down into bullet points.

* I can no longer change from a tourist visa to a working one in country and the three month multiple-entry business visa is a thing of the past? Anatta seems to be saying otherwise but if Vietnam's Tokyo Embassy's site is anything to go by, they're not exactly swift to update the news anyways.

* Even if it's a thing of the past at the embassies, at least I can get one if I get a three-month business visa through an online broker that deals with making approval letters for those quasi-visas on arrival?

* Visa runs to Cambodia are no longer possible and I have to shell out for a ticket to Thailand when I need to change visa status?

Japantovietnam wrote:

* I can no longer change from a tourist visa to a working one in country and the three month multiple-entry business visa is a thing of the past? Anatta seems to be saying otherwise but if Vietnam's Tokyo Embassy's site is anything to go by, they're not exactly swift to update the news anyways.

As far as I know, multiple entry business visa is still available. ssuprnova, not me, said otherwise and I challenged that.

Japantovietnam wrote:

Depending on who your sponsor is. If you have a corporation to sponsor you to extend your visa, your visa extension will be a business one.
Most people who frequent this board don't have that option, from what I have read, so I assume they will use a person to sponsor them to extend their stay. In that case, your extension visa will be a tourist visa. It does not matter what your original visa is, if a private person sponsors you, you get a tourist visa (and you don't have to leave the country).

Japantovietnam wrote:

* Visa runs to Cambodia are no longer possible and I have to shell out for a ticket to Thailand when I need to change visa status?

Not sure what you meant by changing visa status? Read otherwise my response above.
I have never used Cambodia, but from what I read earlier here, it is (or at least was) possible to get a new visa from the Vietnamese embassy in Cambodia. Can't understand why it should not be still available, if you state were true?

Otherwise, Thailand or Singapore are your options.

Wild_1 wrote:

Khanh,

What visa, man?  I think you got the Visa Exemption Certificate.  I don't think they hand out visas that long.

Yeah, he got the exemption certificate.
I gave up the idea of dual citizenships after I found out I got the Visa Exemption Certificate.
To me, its as good as dual citizenships without the hassles u go thru to get it. And 5 years is more than enough for me, plus a trip to Thailand or another country (when needed) can be a bonus

Cth,

Yeah, the Exemption Certificate is as good as, but it is no citizenship.  So, it has its drawbacks, like checking in with the local officials every 3 months and others.  Therefore, if you are qualified and capable, Vietnamese citizenship is the way to go in living and working here.

No, man, I am not a Party member.  I am just one of those that don't like to go to war with one hand tied behind my back.

Anatta,

Attractive?  Are you crazy, man???  How would you like to have coffee with me?  I will give you some language and culture, alright...

Wild_1 wrote:

Cth,

Yeah, the Exemption Certificate is as good as, but it is no citizenship.  So, it has its drawbacks, like checking in with the local officials every 3 months and others.  Therefore, if you are qualified and capable, Vietnamese citizenship is the way to go in living and working here.

if I marry a Vietnamese citizen do I still need to check in with local officials every 3 months?

Khanh,

You can marry 2 and still have to pay your tributes every 3 months, until you become a Vietnamese citizen.

khanh44 If you get married to a Vietnamese and get a Temp card or some thing like it, than no you won't need to do a renewal every three months, just keep your passport valid. However as long as that VEC is what's granting you the right to stay here, than married or not you'll have to renew it every three months

Yeah, man, listen to the expert!  Haaa!!!  Who do you think you are, the husband of 2 Vietnamese women???  No, sir!!!  Please come to the station and show me the money!

By the way, Mr. Khanh, keep the line and bring the wives, would you?   :lol::cool:;)

And don't step on Budman's foot!!!  :lol:

ok thanks. Guess it looks like I'll have to look into getting a citizenship or a 3rd wive.

Actually, when you get to 5 (Wives.  That is.).  They give you automatic citizenship...

Wild_1 wrote:

Actually, when you get to 5 (Wives.  That is.).  They give you automatic citizenship...

Yep, it is called hardship compensation. Wait, no... it is called consolation prize, as in:
First prize: one wife
Second prize: two wives
Third prize: three wives
Fifth prize: five wives
consolation prize: five wives AND a citizenship

Scares the hell out of me just thinking about having two Vietnamese wives, five?? When it snows 4 meters in Hau Gaing is more realistic......

Budman
Your point about marriage bliss and its feasibility reminds me of the Neil Armstrong (the astronaut) and Mr Gorsky joke.
Google if you don't know about it.

I met some very nice American folks last night.  They have been here for sometimes now.  But, thanks to the "excellent" services of their Temporary Resident Card runners, they are all being investigated by Vietnamese Immigration authorities and might face deportation.

Again, fellas, be vigilant with the people you hook up with.  Don't pay for trouble.  Those paper runners, man, if they are so good (well-connected), I can assure you that they would not be kissing your asses for your pocket changes.

There is nothing worst than facing the wraths of Vietnamese laws.

Hi. I just arrived here couple of  weeks ago..and they gave me one month visa..now I extend my visa for 3 more months..but they didn't say anything about getting out the country to get new visa..so I don't think it's necessary to go out again..the only thing I know is after six month extension that's the time you need to exit..which is I'm doing since before exit in cambodia and comeback ..

hope it helps.

Wild_1 wrote:

I
There is nothing worst than facing the wraths of Vietnamese laws.

I'm not so sure about that. I think facing the wrath of an irate Vietnamese woman might be a lil worse.

Parmyd,

But Khanh and Anatta are unfazed:  one is gunning for his "exempt" status, while the other is shooting for the "consolation" prize.

Wild_1 wrote:

while the other is shooting for the "consolation" prize.

Define "shoot" :cool:

Parmyd wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. I think facing the wrath of an irate Vietnamese woman might be a lil worse.

Parmyd
As stated in my "prize" ranking, there are worse things:

two irate Vietnamese women which, however, is better than
three irate Vietnamese women which is better than.. Well, you get my drift.

Anatta,

Looking at that avatar of yours...  I am at a lost for words.

Wild_1 wrote:

Anatta,

Looking at that avatar of yours...  I am at a lost for words.

I know. Mortal men are the same when they see my princess.

BTW, was it your answer for my request of definition? ;)

Talking about visa's look at this:

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/9976/us-o … king-visas

I just got a 3 month visa using an online service. I paid 60 Usd plus 95Usd to immigration on arrival. Could have shopped around but too busy at work to go to embassy as loose a lot more than 60 usd which is one round of beers in kl so not big money. apart from silly wait at immi now can hop in and out of Vietnam for three months. Seemed easy enough to get

And looking at beer prices here cheaper to come for a boozey weekend here lol and still save with the flight and hotel.

Budman
Good article.
Millions of dollars!!! Amazing. Several interesting questions.

What do those people expect to do in the US to pay more than 70 000 USD for a visa? They remind me of the guy over in PTSV (a big state-owned company in Vietnam) who allegedly pays a bribe over 1MUSD to get the head job which has a salary of 2 000 USD/month. Can't love the job/the country that much, can they?

"50 to 70 people from one village in Vietnam"!!! That brings a new definition of a "village" in Vietnam to a new level. What is the zip code of that village? 90210?

Anatta I think this is just the tip of the ice burg, I'm sure there's more of the story to follow. They just wanted to nail him before he went on active duty. As far as the guy at PTSV, $2k a month was only what he got up front, the envelopes were probably 10 times that a month.

Wild_1 wrote:

Parmyd,

But Khanh and Anatta are unfazed:  one is gunning for his "exempt" status, while the other is shooting for the "consolation" prize.

that would be a dream in my after-life. Parmy's met my fiance already she's totally against me gunning for a 2nd. If I can get the 2nd the 5th should be easy.

Budman1 wrote:

As far as the guy at PTSV, $2k a month was only what he got up front, the envelopes were probably 10 times that a month.

Nooooooooo, please say that it ain't true :rolleyes:. 10 times is still too conservative a number since it would take him at least 5 years (200 000/yr*5 years) not counting tax, living expense and interest before he recovers his initial investment. Who knows, he may be kicked out after 1-2 yr if some one else is paying higher "entrance fee", so he has to regain his investment within 1 year. Well, you do the math then.

Nice avatar, pls don't tell me that she is your (second) wife. If it is your daughter, then I may take a trip to visit you soon in Can Tho real quick :P.

Sorry for the late reply everyone, had a long weekend trying to make head or tail of the Russian visa application process (long story short: don't go to Russia).

Judging from the replies, I must have gotten some wrong information. So far all I can surmise is that you can still get a pre-approved 3-month business visa that is extendable up to a year (three $5 extensions in theory, which means much higher "fees" as your visa starts going stale). Can anyone verify getting a B3 visa at the airport *or* switching from a C1 tourist visa to a B3 without leaving the country?

Thanks for all the replies and sorry if I caused any panic :)