3 Year TRC (Temporary Residence Card) without work permit

Temporary Residence Card (TRC) is available now for foreigners who are parents, spouses and children of Vietnamese citizens.
Actually I intend to apply for this when my work related TRC ends in this December but should go out of country and stay 2-3 weeks until they forward the TRC when ready to my embassy outside Viet Nam. So I applied and just got a 5 years VEC which also need an exit and re entry.
It is good if you can get a TRC  for 3 years which avoid the hassle of  90 days extension.
Here is the documents needed for a TRC:
1. Application form ( NA8)
2. Sponsoring document(NA7)
3. 2x3cm photo which you can take inside immigration office studio for 30.000 VND when you go to purchase the forms set. (Yes, you should buy it from 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Q.1, HCMC, Vietnam which includes the full forms and application file)
4. Residence document from your registered police station house officer.
5. ID card and copies of your Vietnamese spouse/parent/children who is the sponsor
6. Original and copies of your Passport

I am happy that you started this thread as most of the prior info on this was on the VEC thread and it seems that the VEC is being phased out gradually.  Please let us know how it goes for you.

A quick question on your item #4.  Is that the form N5 that had to be signed by the local police for the 90 day extensions with the VEC or another form?

Yeah, sure. Once I get stamped, will update.
Same as  showed in the VEC thread. (4)
We made documents for the TRC but changed idea and applied for VEC on the same day . Just replaced the application only.

Hi guys, I just received my TRC.
Cost : $ 155 (3500.000 VND)
Processing time: 1 week
Validity : 3 years
Size of TRC 9x5.5cm
Document Needed:
1. Application form(NA8)
2. Sponsoring Document (NA7) signed and sealed from the sponsor's police station.
2. 2 PP size photo
3. Residential Document from Applicant's current Ward Police station
4. Marriage Certificate
5. Family Book of Sponsor
6. Sponsor ID Card
7. Applicant's Passport
Note: This TRC is issued only for people with TT Visa or VEC
http://s9.postimg.org/64emt8tjj/9x11_TRC_Vietnam.jpg

You have done everyone eligible for a TRC a service by posting this.  It certainly seems to be the way to go.  Even if entries with the VEC are now free, extensions may not be.  Just do it once even if it costs a little more.  Time is money.

Also thanks for listing the documents you needed to process the application.  Of course for Viet Kieu the marriage certificate maybe will be replaced by a birth certificate or something else to show relationship to the sponsor. 

The moderators should consider making this a sticky thread.

Hello everyone

Thank you for your precious inputs. This topic is now a sticky thread so that members can benefit from the infos.

All the very best
Bhavna

Don't know how many expatriates utilize this service but am sure it's a good news for expats who feel difficult from the VEC renewal even though that is free of cost!

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : post removed - insulting

As for 'Marriage to Vietnamese', we are long term domestic partners, she and I have been together almost 20 years, she has lived with me in several other countries - do I qualify to be a member of household??  The local police here know me very well as I register with them every time I come home - which is more now since I recently retired.  I would like a Retirement Visa,or a Temporary Resident Visa somthing of that nature.......I am 65 years old, is there a long term Visa that I qualify for??

Marriage means, registered legally and obtained a marriage certificate  :)
'Living together' is not considered as marriage in legal terms.

Excuse my ignorance, but does having a VEC mean I don,t have to visit the police for the life of the VEC or do I still need to get a police stamp every three months but without charge?  What is the advantage compared with holding a TT visa?

To get your VEC renewed while in VN, yes, you need a stamp from the local police whether it is old 3 months or the new 6 months.

charmavietnam wrote:

To get your VEC renewed while in VN, yes, you need a stamp from the local police whether it is old 3 months or the new 6 months.

So the advantage of the VEC over the TT visa is going to the police every 6 months instead of 3?

Great ideas , Incidentally , if your business is searching for a a form , I saw a blank document here pdf.ac/7Fck4K

tunnelrat69 wrote:

As for 'Marriage to Vietnamese', we are long term domestic partners, she and I have been together almost 20 years, she has lived with me in several other countries - do I qualify to be a member of household??  The local police here know me very well as I register with them every time I come home - which is more now since I recently retired.  I would like a Retirement Visa,or a Temporary Resident Visa somthing of that nature.......I am 65 years old, is there a long term Visa that I qualify for??

Marriage in Vietnam means going through a process as dull as getting a fishing license in the UK. It takes several months, you have to have a psychiatric assessment and it means traveling to your spouses place of birth to register the event.

Note also that it is not legal to live together in Vietnam  without being married. My wife and I lived together for two years  before getting married and  and had some interesting conversations with the police in our area, for example: "You are not married so we cannot permit you to live in this house" was just one response from the police. Also there were always obstacles being put in the way of my visa renewal and police registration and several visits from the local policeman - not harassment, but a bit of a pain in the butt.

There is no retirement visa in Vietnam.

There is no relation between the two.
I were answered about the TRC for spouses.
To obtain this TRC, you do need a TT visa or TRC.
Extension of VEC is now 6 months for new scheme and 3 months for old scheme holders.
If you apply for the TRC with your current VEC or TT visa, you don't need to run for the VEC extensions. You can live 3 years continuously here.

cabraman wrote:

So the advantage of the VEC over the TT visa is going to the police every 6 months instead of 3?

charmavietnam wrote:

I assume this is a typographical error and the proper statement would be:  To obtain a TRC, you need a TT visa or VEC.  Am I correct?

I am in the process of obtaining a TT visa.  When I have it, should I take the next step and apply for a VEC?  How will I be better off if I do?  Is it that I only need to see the police every 6 months instead of 3?

Thanx for your informative email, the only issue we have ever had is when we went to Saigon, we always had to rent two hotel rooms, but that was over ten years ago.  I register with the police evertime I come home, they enjoy my visits and I have never had a problem with them.  I have come t the conclusion that I will have to put my personal convictions aside and we will have to register our 'marriage'.  I don't believe in the modern institution of marriage, it has become a cash cow for too many devious men & women, from the ceremony in church, to the parties at home.  Never saw the need to have that piece of paper that says we are 'married'.  In fact, we are more .married than most of our friends around the world, some of whom are on their second, third even fourth marriage since we have been together.  Time to 'man up' I guess if I want a long term visa, never needed one before, visits were always short  a couple times a year.  Thanx again.

"This TRC" meant, TRC mentioned in this thread  :)
Yeah, there is another TRC = related to WP(Work Permit)

THIGV wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

I assume this is a typographical error and the proper statement would be:  To obtain a TRC, you need a TT visa or VEC.  Am I correct?

I thought you already possess a VEC. If you are going to make a TRC, don't apply for the VEC which you should renew every 6 months. FYI: TRC and VEC are different. If you have a TRC, you don't need a VEC. With a 3 year TRC, you can live in Vietnam without any exit. Just renew it just before the expiration. Remember, VEC is absolutely free in Vietnam.

cabraman wrote:

I am in the process of obtaining a TT visa.  When I have it, should I take the next step and apply for a VEC?  How will I be better off if I do?  Is it that I only need to see the police every 6 months instead of 3?

charmavietnam wrote:

I thought you already possess a VEC. If you are going to make a TRC, don't apply for the VEC which you should renew every 6 months. FYI: TRC and VEC are different. If you have a TRC, you don't need a VEC. With a 3 year TRC, you can live in Vietnam without any exit. Just renew it just before the expiration. Remember, VEC is absolutely free in Vietnam.

cabraman wrote:

Yes, I know they are different, that,s why I didn,t mention TRC.   My question is to do with TT visa and VEC. Can you answer it?

Of course you can apply if you are ELIGIBLE TO OBTAIN A VEC. You should renew the new VEC each 6 months.

charmavietnam wrote:

Of course you can apply if you are ELIGIBLE TO OBTAIN A VEC. You should renew the new VEC each 6 months.

So what is my advantage if I do?  See the police once every 6 months instead of once every 3 months with a TT visa? That,s it?

cabraman wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

So what is my advantage if I do?  See the police once every 6 months instead of once every 3 months with a TT visa? That,s it?

I can't comprehend the difference between a VEC and a TT as I have never held a TT, but as this is the TRC thread, I would point out that with the TRC it looks like you only have to get a police check once every three years.   It may actually be slightly more expensive than a TT or VEC but not having to send my wife to the police station and then downtown to immigration every three or six months would certainly make it worth every single VND.

What do you mean by see the police every 6 moths instead 3 months?
You don't have any VEC yet, I assume.
As THIGV stated, if you apply for a VEC, then according to new rule, your renewal is each 6 months. Then obviously you or your wife should go to the local police and get the document stamped and submit it for renewal in the immigration office. Previously it was 3 months. If you obtain a TRC for spouse, you can stay up to 3 years. You don't need a police station visit. But it will cost you unlike VEC. I already put both TRC and VEC thread link in many posts which many of our members discussed in detail. I don't know much about TT visa. Just know that is 1 year visa. Yes, I mentioned TT visa as eligibility to obtain a spouse TRC, As per the immigration office.

cabraman wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

Hi,

Did you go through a lawyer or did you apply direct with the government department?

I've had a quote back from a law firm which was $350 USD for end to end service within 1 week.

Many Thanks
Brian

Sorry I'm fairly new to Vietnam so another quick question for you.

Item 3 you mentioned was a "Residential Document from Applicant's current Ward Police station". What exactly is this document? Is it a tenancy contract with your landlord? or is it a specific document that you must obtain from the police station?

Thanks
Brian

Residential Document from Applicant's current Ward Police station = A document shows that you are a legal resident under the jurisdiction of such police station.
You must register there at the time of residence to obtain the same.
Lawyer? It's very simple thing if you send your Vietnamese spouse and can save money with $155

"Note also that it is not legal to live together in Vietnam  without being married." As to my knowledge, it's an old, abolished law which was valid only in the former North Vietnam. Now only commonly used to extract  some tea moneys. So far, no lawyer or police or anyone, who I asked could show/proof/confirm anything, apart from tea money thing.

Appreciate the feedback and response. Very helpful thanks.

charmavietnam 04,not sure where or why yu gt stuck from,

I amsingle, pay nothing,
-  no Marriage Certificate, because I am happy single
- Not have a Family Book of Sponsor
- no Sponsor ID Card, because have none
- -, ok, have one....Applicant's Passport

apart from the passport, none of it is requirement, I have already 2nd extension.

Married people to a Vietnamese partner not get a work permit, neither requiring one.
- Neither, they get a residence card (if marriage is correctly registered.. valid) in Vietnam
- Neither, they need a work permit (if marriage is correctly registered.. valid) in Vietnam

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : inappropriate comment

Both my threads about TRC
and VEC is from my own experience, not hearsay. Just want to share to others if it benefited them.

edited

This is definitely good news. I am a retired American who has been living here now for about 28 months with my Vietnamese wife ( we have a marriage certificate ) & daughter, age 8. I do not have a work permit, as I do not work here. I plan to stay & live here permanently for the rest of my life, with maybe only an occasional trip out of the country for vacation. A 3-year TRC would be much better & easier for me, rather than the visa renewal twice a year. Can anyone tell me where I can find ALL of the info on the 3-year TRC --- Criteria, qualifications, things that might disqualify a person from getting one, does it have to be done in Saigon or can I do it locally in the smaller village where I live, or through the mail, etc.? Also, what about a Permanent Residence Card & all of the information on that? Would that be a better option over the TRC? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

You are eligible to apply for a TRC or VEC.
What kind of visa do you possess? If it is a TT visa, you are eligible for 3 year TRC. Otherwise you can apply for the VEC. Check both threads for more details.

l3ully wrote:

"Note also that it is not legal to live together in Vietnam  without being married." As to my knowledge, it's an old, abolished law which was valid only in the former North Vietnam. Now only commonly used to extract  some tea moneys. So far, no lawyer or police or anyone, who I asked could show/proof/confirm anything, apart from tea money thing.

Yes, that,s right.  It is not illegal to live together, although police are quite happy to say that it is.  That could be for the reason you have stated, or out of ignorance.  The problem with arguing the point with your local police is the possibility of life becoming harder for you in a variety of ways. It may not, but the possibility is there.

Your information on the TRC has been very helpful to me as I had been thinking along the lines of getting a VEC without knowing much about it, as you may have already gathered. For me with a TT visa the TRC is the way to go, BUT are there travel limitations?  I try to visit my children in Australia every year and am now wondering if I will be able to do so as I can with my multiple entry TT visa

There is no limitation. TRC is both stay permit and multiple entry visa. You can go and come back any time within the 3 year period.  :)

cabraman wrote:

For me with a TT visa the TRC is the way to go, BUT are there travel limitations?  I try to visit my children in Australia every year and am now wondering if I will be able to do so as I can with my multiple entry TT visa

Thank you for that good news!