3 Year TRC (Temporary Residence Card) without work permit

I have a question:

I have a TRC (spousal - 3 yrs) and a Work Permit (recently issued).

Do I still need to go out to obtain a Work Visa?

Any lead from anyone in the same situation?

Thanks guys.

Hi everybody,

Just to inform you that some inappropriate posts have been removed.

Thanks,

Priscilla :)

Good question from senwl.
The question I would like comments on is this:
If I have a 5 year Visa Exemption Certificate and a 3 year Temporary Residency Card which has been validated by 2 recent overseas trips, do I have to leave the country every 3 months to keep the VEC valid.   I have been getting conflicting advice regarding this.

Jvdairlie wrote:

If I have a 5 year Visa Exemption Certificate and a 3 year Temporary Residency Card which has been validated by 2 recent overseas trips, do I have to leave the country every 3 months to keep the VEC valid.   I have been getting conflicting advice regarding this.

You don't have to leave if you have a TRC.

colinoscapee wrote:
Jvdairlie wrote:

You don't have to leave if you have a TRC.

The VEC will remain valid until 5 years from the date it was issued.  Remember if you are outside of the country, the VEC does not expire in 90 days.  I am outside of Vietnam but when I return I will use my VEC to enter.  The visa stamp issued because of the VEC expires, not the VEC.  It is kind of an unlikely scenario, but if you remain in VN at the end of your TRC and wish to switch back to the VEC, you may need to keep the TRC and bring it in to immigration to justify the gap in stamping.  I know that when I exited at TSN they scoured my stamps looking for a gap.

Im on6 a work visa an6d doin6g eveythin6g legit. Got my work permit an6d n6ow its an6other 145$  to the immigration6 police for a year's work visa TT presumably. is that the correct price? or more b4laten6t stealin6g b4y the immigration6 mafia?

Thaiger wrote:

Im on6 a work visa an6d doin6g eveythin6g legit. Got my work permit an6d n6ow its an6other 145$  to the immigration6 police for a year's work visa TT presumably. is that the correct price? or more b4laten6t stealin6g b4y the immigration6 mafia?

That's the correct price.  If you do it legally, they never take anything more from you.

Thaiger wrote:

I am just curious as to what is your input device.  The pattern seems to be 6 after n and 4 after b.  As b and d are in the two lower rows on most keyboards, it would not seem to be a fat fingers problem.

Sorry,  , old broken laptop keyboard.

Anyhow,,  my useless boss just extended  my Dn visa,  which is a kind of biz visa right? I have work  permit  and all docs.   One of my friends  said he got his try with his work  permit....

So I have to pay the quy  nhon immigration thieves a million bribe to give me the wrong / illegal,  inferior.  It's also shorter  and more expensive,  as well  as wrong.

Sick of these  twats

if you're not married to this person you can't live in his/her(locals) home, it's the law here unfortunately...

I were also interested in applying TRC before, so I went to Cambodia for my TT visa first,

We had asked a immigration officer, he said I need to live in Vietnam for 3 years to apply TRC, I wonder if my husband wrongly describe that I want to apply a PRC? because I've checked with a few agencies, they'd never mention there's a such regulation like this, and it'd be painful to live here without a proper visa, I just feel this regulation sounds not right...

You probably know that, in Vietnam, government or any dealer aren't really reliable ...
I checked with agency because I can't find any proper info on the internet, I still want to apply it by myself.

Does anyone know about this?

Actually it,s not the law. There,s nothing to stop it happening.........except a policeman who says it is the law because 1. he is ignorant or 2. he wants you to buy him a cup of coffee....if you get my drift.

mimi debby wrote:

if you're not married to this person you can't live in his/her(locals) home, it's the law here unfortunately...

Actually thats incorrect.

cabraman wrote:

Actually it,s not the law. There,s nothing to stop it happening.........except a policeman who says it is the law because 1. he is ignorant or 2. he wants you to buy him a cup of coffee....if you get my drift.

Cabraman, I assume you're replying to me? it is the law seriously,
It's also announced by our immigration dept(Taiwan) and you could also refer to one of those responses, this is for sure, don't be surprised :)

Best you check with some local officials here and not in Taiwan. Its not illegal the law changed back in 2000 or there abouts.

It's illegal, I don't only check with Taiwan, …
The law I'm saying was announced in 2002
And it hasn't changed since then,
there're a lot of Taiwaneses who try to marry Vietnameses or marry to vietnam every year, it's like thousands of us.

Check the regulation here
http://m.thuvienphapluat.vn/van-ban/Quy … 48947.aspx

mimi debby wrote:

I were also interested in applying TRC before, so I went to Cambodia for my TT visa first, ...I still want to apply it by myself.

mimi debby wrote:

mimi debby wrote:

Since you seem perfectly confident of your knowledge of Vietnamese law and seem able to read Vietnamese as evidenced by the link you posted, why are you asking for advice about the TRC on this website?  Something does not add up.   :/

THIGV wrote:
mimi debby wrote:

I were also interested in applying TRC before, so I went to Cambodia for my TT visa first, ...I still want to apply it by myself.

mimi debby wrote:

mimi debby wrote:

Since you seem perfectly confident of your knowledge of Vietnamese law and seem able to read Vietnamese as evidenced by the link you posted, why are you asking for advice about the TRC on this website?  Something does not add up.   :/

Not much people apply TRC, and it's not about confidence…
If you knew something just answer it :cool:
So, can you read Vietnamese?

This is from a law firm in Saigon talking about this very subject.

Let's straighten this issue out immediately: the law does not prohibit an unmarried Vietnamese and foreigner couple from living together. The issue that you describe is not uncommon and you are not the only foreigner who has been faced with this situation.

The Vietnamese Law on Marriage and Family explicitly recognizes the principle of “co-habitation,” and no distinction is made between Vietnamese couples and “interracial” couples. Cultural sensitivity and tradition aside, it remains a common misunderstanding that it would be illegal for unmarried couples to live together in Vietnam – so don't try to use this as an excuse not to ask for your girlfriend's hand!

Having said that, the same Law on Marriage and Family does clearly – and obviously – prohibit one from living together with a person who is already married, as well as the cohabitation as husband and wife between people of the same direct blood line, between relatives within three generations, between adoptive parent and adoptive child, et cetera.

To answer your second question, as a foreigner who is permitted to stay in Vietnam for a limited period of time, Article 33 on the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam does indeed require you to register your residence. The same Article states that it is the responsibility of your landlord to fill out the relevant declaration form and to submit it to the local police authority in the ward where you live. That is why when you check into a hotel in Vietnam, the staff will always ask to see your passport for exactly the same reason.

Even though a different law applies to Vietnamese citizens, they too are required to register their permanent and/or temporary residence with the local police. Both Vietnamese citizens and foreigners must inform the authorities of any changes in their residence situation.

mimi debby wrote:

there're a lot of Taiwaneses who try to marry Vietnameses or marry to vietnam every year, it's like thousands of us.

Well I read the regulation and saw nothing there that supports your claim. Perhaps I missed it or misunderstood so could you please point to the part of the regulation which deals with your claim? Failing that,you should concede to those of us who say it is not illegal.

cabraman wrote:
mimi debby wrote:

Well I read the regulation and saw nothing there that supports your claim. Perhaps I missed it or misunderstood so could you please point to the part of the regulation which deals with your claim? Failing that,you should concede to those of us who say it is not illegal.

Yeah. that article google translates pretty well. It does not contain any of these words: marry, marriage, wife, husband, live, house, apartment, habitation, habitate.  Which line is it Mimi?

man I read the entire link in Vietnamese and I couldn't find anything that prohibits 'nguoi nuoc ngoai' (foreigners) from staying with an unmarried person.

But I do know this and it may offend you but don't take it as a jab at Taiwan. There's the unwritten rule in the past that Taiwanese husbands had a tendency to abuse their wifes or the Vietnamese wife was treated very poorly. Due to Taiwan's divorce law both husband and wife have to agree to a divorce otherwise it would be near impossible to get a divorce. So Vietnamese hotels, local police and regional government may have sent a memorandum having biases against people holding Taiwan passport. That was in the past I don't know about now.

And I think you haven't kept up to date on new law changes. Temporary resident cards in the past were difficult to obtain if not near impossible. But that change some years ago. And from what I gather it's easier to obtain now.

khanh44 wrote:

But I do know this and it may offend you but don't take it as a jab at Taiwan. There's the unwritten rule in the past that Taiwanese husbands had a tendency to abuse their wifes or the Vietnamese wife was treated very poorly. Due to Taiwan's divorce law both husband and wife have to agree to a divorce otherwise it would be near impossible to get a divorce. So Vietnamese hotels, local police and regional government may have sent a memorandum having biases against people holding Taiwan passport. That was in the past I don't know about now.

Post VN War, I've been back and forth since 1995. What you are describing has been in the news for at least the last 15 years and Taiwanese are far from the only offenders. Note, If one goes back to the early 1970s. Vietnamese wives were often treated very badly in Viet Nam by Vietnamese husbands as well.

That had a lot to do with my wife stalking one of those furry monkey monster things from outer space called Americans. Well she got me by Vietnamese custom in 1971. The leagal by American standards wasn't until 1973.

Couldn't agree with you more. I see Vietnamese men (older generations) as drunks, gambling addicts and lazy. I think how lucky these Vietnamese men are to have such loyal wife that can put up with their laziness coming home drunk and expect to have hot food on the table for them.

Isn't it ironic that they themselves treat Vietnamese women badly but can only blame the Taiwanese.

I'm happy for Vietnamese women to find men outside their circle.

70 years old wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

Post VN War, I've been back and forth since 1995. What you are describing has been in the news for at least the last 15 years and Taiwanese are far from the only offenders. Note, If one goes back to the early 1970s. Vietnamese wives were often treated very badly in Viet Nam by Vietnamese husbands as well.

That had a lot to do with my wife stalking one of those furry monkey monster things from outer space called Americans. Well she got me by Vietnamese custom in 1971. The leagal by American standards wasn't until 1973.

sorry for de-railing let's get back on topic of 3 year temporary residency.

khanh44 wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more. I see Vietnamese men (older generations) as drunks, gambling addicts and lazy. I think how lucky these Vietnamese men are to have such loyal wife that can put up with their laziness coming home drunk and expect to have hot food on the table for them.

Isn't it ironic that they themselves treat Vietnamese women badly but can only blame the Taiwanese.

I'm happy for Vietnamese women to find men outside their circle.

To be fair, The casualty rates on both sides of the war were horrendous. The South Vietnamese Naval Forces that I advised, didn't have it nearly as bad as the Army. But, it was still bad even for the Navy. Their was a massive supply of desperate widows and women arriving at a marriageable age and not that many available men. Things are now evening out some.

Some of the women had really bad wars like the "old war buddy" and "harry monster stalker" that nabbed me, had a much worse war than I had in my three tours 1969 to 1972 a couple of those were in contact with her. She got involved in the war around age 13 in the mid 1960s

I am reading this with interest as I lived in HCMC for 3 years and for the past 4 months in Malaysia. Am returning to HCMC this month. I have a 2 year work visa running out in mid-March. I also have a 3 year old VN son but am not marrked to his mother. Furthemore, I have never ever visited a police station of otherwise to reegister and this is first time I am hearing this - have I been living illegally ?

Cheers.

Your landlord may have registered you at the local police.

My wife registers me at the local police every 3 months. Saves from me having to do it myself and possibly having to bribe them.

Hi guys
Thanks for the attention of my post!
First, I had never followed the regulation that I was talking about, because there's a police in my family,
And the regulation# is provided by many websites (which in Chinese) that I'd found the related information about this,
Our government keeps reminding us if coming to Vietnam,

We've just moved to a rental condos, the landlord has asked us to fill a form with our ID copies and required to see our marriage certificate.

Here's what I know about Vietnam law: they seem will not include detail info in it, but will announce the procedures to each bureau, because when I visited them I could see those details on the walls@@ and I have tried to find many regulation online, because no one could explained/describe or provide a proper information.

I'm telling you this regulation because there was someone mentioned, if you don't buy it I don't care, as you know I can't explain the law that clearly since I'm not the government.

And yes, they won't check into each house constantly just like many foreigners drive/ride on the road without licenses usually, if you haven't been checked doesn't mean it's legal, this is Vietnam,

And, I will be happy if it's not true at all , because it's really a INTERESTING LAW,

Vietnam laws are decrees which they have somewhere on Vietnam's official page. Vietnam will eventually give directives for those decrees. It's up to the 'bureau' as you say which are just districts to interpret those laws.

Now I don't really want to waste time searching if this law exist or not just to prove who's right. But I'd be happy to read another link in Vietnamese.

Am I The only guy  who has a work permit and still gets the shaft with a Dn visa?

Thaiger wrote:

Am I The only guy  who has a work permit and still gets the shaft with a Dn visa?

You could be the only one although that is not the topic of this thread which is about marriage related residency cards. 

With a work permit, you should be able to get a 2-year work related residency card and not need a visa at all.  Did your school assist you in obtaining the work permit?   If so they should be able to advise, if not assist you, in getting the residency card.  Once over the work permit hurdle, the residency permit should be an easy task for almost any local lawyer.

mimi debby wrote:

Hi guys
First, I had never followed the regulation that I was talking about, because there's a police in my family,
And the regulation# is provided by many websites (which in Chinese) that I'd found the related information about this,

We've just moved to a rental condos, the landlord has asked us to fill a form with our ID copies and required to see our marriage certificate.

Here's what I know about Vietnam law: they seem will not include detail info in it, but will announce the procedures to each bureau, because when I visited them I could see those details on the walls@@ and I have tried to find many regulation online, because no one could explained/describe or provide a proper information.

I'm telling you this regulation because there was someone mentioned, if you don't buy it I don't care, as you know I can't explain the law that clearly since I'm not the government.

And yes, they won't check into each house constantly just like many foreigners drive/ride on the road without licenses usually, if you haven't been checked doesn't mean it's legal, this is Vietnam,

And, I will be happy if it's not true at all , because it's really a INTERESTING LAW,

So after all that you can,t back up your claim

Thaiger wrote:

Definitely not :D Up to my client's choice based on their budget, their intended residence period in Vietnam etc, sometimes I let them hold work permit and DN Visa instead of a costly Temporary Residence Card. And it's a legal residence status so don't worry.

How is a TRC more costly? Apart from being 2-year, its just cheaper all round, isnt it?

I was thinking the same, 150usd for three years was the quoted price for a TRC.

Uhm but a DN Visa can be issued for maximum 12 months. If a foreigner finds that his DN Visa is long enough for his intended residence time then why bother applying a TRC.

^ I have 2 year work permit/ contract.

Only possible reason i can see is so that the notoriously corrupt Quy Nhon Immigration police can steal more money from me.

cabraman wrote:
mimi debby wrote:

Hi guys

So after all that you can,t back up your claim

After all, you still can't understand Vietnam, can you? If you're so interested in this, why not just pop into a police station and ask? As you know I'm not a government worker or a lawyer here, why do I need to back myself up?
I will not just saying that for fun, if you don't want to believe it, that's your problem, not mine, and I don't care if you're illegal or whatever.

All,

My Vietnamese wife is now completing the process for my wife and son. My son has a Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate issued by the US embassy in Singapore. We also have the birth certificate from Singapore. The police say we need to have the CRBA translated and indicte it must be chopped approved by yet he HCM US embassy. I do not speak the local language as yo may understand the issues on understanding from my side.

Does anyone have any advise as it seems fishy from all I have read on this thread.

Many Thanks

Jerry