ONE WAY TICKET

Hi

I am planning to fly into Vietnam from Australia in January 2015

I am hoping to stay for an extended period, I am not sure how long.

Question: Can i fly in with a three month visa on a one way ticket?

Thanks for any reply

Of course sir,
This is Vietnam not north korea

It's all depends the mood of immigration officers in the departure terminals  :)
Many cases they allow to fly. Normally you need a return ticket to make sure that you will return after the visit  :)  unless you posses a work visa / permit/TRC/PRC.

[Moderated : Inappropriate content ]

Simply explain that you have a ONE-WAY ticket as you are going by LAND to CAMBODIA/KAMPUCHEA and THAILAND. Since Cambodia doesn't have inter-continental; flights Travellers have to use VietNam or Thailand ... or a boat.

Thanks hopefully all will be ok

Hi I am from Melbourne and I came here with 3 month visa 1 way ticket it no problem. $45 USD single entry visa stamp at Airport.

Hi thanks for this comment

You have raised the second the issue, how much does a three month visa cost?

$45 is pretty inexpensive i have been told $75 but that's ok. The main issue is getting through with a one way

ticket. I  am hoping to do a tesol course so not sure how long i will stay in Vietnam.

Ok thanks

tesol course? teaching English? keep in touch maybe I can help you I have some contact.

Cheers much appreciated, I will be in Siagon

for the first four weeks then not sure

One way tickets have been discussed many times and usually the same answers, never seems to be a problem. As stated before, just say your heading overland from here,nobody can tell you how to travel.As with most forums there will always be someone who has had a problem, but it's very,very rare.

Thanks for this comment
There are many updates to these visa issues, as you know the six month visa was changed a few months ago.
I will use the overland comment, hopefully this will be ok.

cheers

Actually you havnt been able to get a 6 month visa legally for years now.

ok
I hope this changes, how do people invest with confidence if they only get three month visa?

thanks for comments

Most people don't invest as its a minefield and the laws are so weak. Also you are not Vietnamese and the laws are generally in their favour. It's the same with buying property, expats hardly ever buy due to not trusting the person whose name the property must go in.

Ok, and even if they change the law; they can always change it back again.
I guess my only investment will be in a motor bike.
cheers Phil

philcon wrote:

Ok, and even if they change the law; they can always change it back again.
I guess my only investment will be in a motor bike.
cheers Phil

That also has to be in a VN name, the average person can't  have a bike in their name.

Well I got the information from a news source in Viet Nam so it's not just my thoughts, it was documented by others.

colinoscapee wrote:

That also has to be in a VN name, the average person can't  have a bike in their name.

Anyone (Foreigner) can have a vehicle under their name if they have more than one year left on their Visa/Permit/etc.

Thanks for this  comment; Anyone (Foreigner) can have a vehicle under their name if they have more than one year left on their Visa/Permit/etc.

With the new driving licence rule coming in January 2015( International drivers licence accepted)
buying a bike and touring Vietnam is going to be a lot less of a hassle.

Cheers Phil

Jaitch wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Anyone (Foreigner) can have a vehicle under their name if they have more than one year left on their Visa/Permit/etc.

Ok, interested for you to show me how that works,please show me the official website that shows you how to do that. I have read the official websites and they state that you can't have a motorbike in your name.

We had a one way ticket with visa on arrival when we first got here. The airline in Seattle almost didn't allow us to check in. We requested to sign a waiver saying the airline would not be responsible for us if Vietnam didn't allow us into the country. We didn't have any problems once we arrived at the airport in HCMC. Hope it goes smoothly for you too!

Hello All! :)

Kindly note that some posts considered inappropriate and off topic has been removed from this thread!

We will be contacting the concerned members privately to sort everything out.

Have a nice day all.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

I hope this short period of ban against Jaitch will give him a rethink about public forums and nationalities.
Vietnam need many nationalities visit and invest for the progress of the country. So no need to give a priority or discrimination.

Why the ban?

colinoscapee wrote:

Why the ban?

Ah, they argued fiercely about Indian. Then Mods deleted some their posts.

Yes you can. As I did it 6 months  ago from the USA. but check with your Embassy and the Vietnam Embassy. http://vn.embassyinformation.com/

Yes you certainly can. No need for an ongoing ticket. We did that and they just went to waste. Have a great trip :)

Yes you can, no problems and I do it all the time on one way.
The ticket is not checked and many will fly in and overland to Cambodia
Suggest you book your visa online with vietnamvisacorp.com
Great service and well worth getting the fast track.
Otherwise Visa on Arrival can be a big wait, up to 2 hours.
With fast track they will meet you and you'll have the visa in 5 minutes
Out of the terminal ignore the taxi touts and turn left right up the end.
Look for a Vinasun tax and they will be honest and just go by the meter to the city.
If you need any more help just email me at [email protected]
regards, David

Yes   I booked one this Sept not knowing what city I would return from.   Landed in Hanoi.   Flew home from Phonm Penh

Yes, of course you can and why do you so much like the Vice President of the USA.

Yes, you can own a motor bike in your name. I have 2 under my name.

Welcome to Vietnam

Does anyone know of some international or local health insurance coverage for expats residing in VN? Please don't mention Cigna. Thank you.

Hi I have teaching certificate but no experience I am Australian born Turkish background. I'm 35. I wonder if I can stay in Vietnam and teach? Any information will be appreciated. I have been to Vietnam twice before

tarkan79 wrote:

Hi I have teaching certificate but no experience I am Australian born Turkish background. I'm 35. I wonder if I can stay in Vietnam and teach? Any information will be appreciated. I have been to Vietnam twice before

The best thing to do is to come here and find a job, get some classroom experience and go from there. You will find there are many schools to start with in Saigon, the more classroom experience you get and then the better jobs will follow.

Hi thanks for the info. You saying teach voluntarily to gain experience then change to wages? How much money will have I need to survive on for a start?

No don't volunteer,you will find a job if you really want one. You have to just get some classroom experience. The most expensive area to live is D1, I would look at living in another area,come here and see where you like. Bring more money than you need just to be safe,say 3-5k.

Just to let you know...effective 01 January, 2015 the Visa requirements change.  Once you get a 'tourist visa', you can not work while in Vietnam.  Specific changes noted in March and September of 2014 on required qualifications...
If you want to work in Vietnam you have to have a 'work permit' prior to entering and working.  They are getting very strict on the rules for working here.  Wise to get a police report and physical prior to leaving and all doc's should be certified prior to leaving.
You can enter on a visitors visa, find a job teaching or other and apply as required; then go to Cambodia and spend a few days or couple weeks until the paperwork is finished.  The cost on the wall was 400,000 VND for a work permit.  Many places say the cost is in the millions to provide such...Then make arrangements to re-enter on the proper work permit and/or visa or temp residence card.  The company/school is supposed to submit all to the Department of Labor and Immigrations for your proper entry.
You are not authorized to work without a valid work permit...many do, but if you are caught...they can deport you.  I know of one guy was busted and had to pay 10 million VND, another was fined and deported a few years back.
I've lived in Nam over 10 years and I am now authorized to teach out of my home...paperwork is a real head ache...you can find a nice place (per month) for usually 4 to 6 million VND depending on where you want to live.  I'm in DaNang and love it here near the Beach.  Good luck.

Thank you so much for that. It is appreciated and good useful in NFO. I only want to go by the book as I love Vietnam too much I wouldn't want to be deported

Most schools don't ask for work permits, it's been the same for many years. The better schools do, but you won't get in there as you have no experience and they actually want fully qualified teachers.The new law won't be enforced as the officials won't make any coffee money. Just to reassure you, go to the bars in D1 and ask how many of them have a work permit. It's also the law here not to reside with a VN woman,but it's not enforced in the bigger cities.