3 Year TRC (Temporary Residence Card) without work permit

brienlim wrote:

To my knowledge the spouse TRC thingy is not just recent. It had been almost 4 years now ....

You have jogged my failing memory.  I recall when we went to Nguyen Du Street in 2012 for my VEC, seeing Temporary Residence Card on the fee schedule posted on the wall.   I asked my wife to ask about it but she was told that it was not available. Of course it was clearly posted on the wall but that mattered little.  Nobody even made the effort to put a piece of tape over it.   Perhaps it was available with a substantially higher surcharge to be shared with key superiors.   Just another example of the fluidity of Vietnamese visa rule administration.

I might add that my wife is like cabraman's in that she will not pay bribes.  However, I think in her case it is more a matter of frugality than principle.

THIGV,  My wife simply doesn,t trust a word the touts and scammers ( sorry, "agents")  tell her. I,m sure they're all not like that, but you have to pay to play.

Yeah, this is the problem of Vietnamese officials who ignore the government rules for their benefits. To show their 'loyalty' to the government and the people, they open those windows for sometime then CLOSE it prior notice. I think that is what going on about these documents. I was unaware of this TRC before till one of the staff reminded my better half when she went to apply for the VEC. Anyway I got both without any hassles. I heard other applicants live far from HCMC doesn't get a good result as we, HCMC residents did. Someone got 1 or 2 years TRC while others got nothing but waste of time and energy. That's sad.

brienlim wrote:

To my knowledge the spouse TRC thingy is not just recent. It had been almost 4 years now and to date this is my second TRC granted by my spouse and we are actually running a hospitality business just that my name is not in the business license. For now I just wish to know how can I get out of Vietnam before my expiry and then return and apply for a VEC to continue my stay in VN.

For your info again, my current passport does not even have a VISA as I was granted the 1st TRC and when my last passport expired, I have to replace a new TRC and paid $800 for the second TRC which is what I am holding now.

In Vietnam to my knowledge there is slno such thing as renewal of visa/TRC as you will have to go through the whole process again getting your dosseir done things like that

I'm certain that spouse TRC is something new, just appreared on 2014 under Immigration Law 2014, and being applied a year later. You can check it in your TRC, the "Sponsoring acency/organisation" part, should not named your wife there but name of a company. In the new TRC form they will write "Type TT" for a spouse TRC.

I think that maybe the agent used their company name to pop up a working TRC for you. Cause if it is a spouse TRC, your wife must be able to renew it no matter what.

Now you change your immigration purpose, from working (fake) to family visiting, that is why you have to exit. If the immigration purpose is keeping the same then you can just stay here and renew your TRC/ visa

I have been trying to arrange a 3 year TRC (married to a Vietnamese).
I have assembled all the necessary paperwork - passport, ID, forms NA7 and NA 8, photos etc etc.

I went to Immigration Office at Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, HCMC and was told that although the paperwork was all correct, I would have to make the application in Dong Thap Province (Cao Lahn City) because my wife's Family Book shows that she is registered to her house in Sa Dec City, Dong Thap.   I am registered to our apartment in HCMC.

So.......I spent a day yesterday going to Cao Lahn and went to the Immigration Office there.    The most unhelpful official there threw my papers across the desk and told me in a very rude manner that I could not have a TRC, they would only do work related TRC's.    No further explanation no matter what I said.

So....... Back to HCMC Immigration today and explain the situation.   Still no result - I must go back to Dong Thap.   No further explanation.   

I don't normally get angry but this making me in need of a large drink or two!

Sad to heard that. It's the curse of immigration department bearing some stupid staffs who only think about how to 'snatch' money! They are outdated in laws, rules and amendments!

Often times it helps to take with you a copy of the law. They are simply playing "Oh that will be very difficult" routine, the prelude to coffee money. Many times showing them the law can let them know , you know better. Fortunately where I live the immigration officers are so very very kind. Good luck.

Jvdairlie wrote:

I have been trying to arrange a 3 year TRC (married to a Vietnamese).
I have assembled all the necessary paperwork - passport, ID, forms NA7 and NA 8, photos etc etc.

I went to Immigration Office at Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, HCMC and was told that although the paperwork was all correct, I would have to make the application in Dong Thap Province (Cao Lahn City) because my wife's Family Book shows that she is registered to her house in Sa Dec City, Dong Thap.   I am registered to our apartment in HCMC.

So.......I spent a day yesterday going to Cao Lahn and went to the Immigration Office there.    The most unhelpful official there threw my papers across the desk and told me in a very rude manner that I could not have a TRC, they would only do work related TRC's.    No further explanation no matter what I said.

So....... Back to HCMC Immigration today and explain the situation.   Still no result - I must go back to Dong Thap.   No further explanation.   

I don't normally get angry but this making me in need of a large drink or two!

Yeah well, that seems to be normal "customer service" attitude with the Vietnamese bureaucracy
On 24 May my wife presented all the correct paperwork at 254 Nguyen Trai for the same thing,but was told that the 3 year TRC was no longer available. The 5 year VEC however was readily available so as second best option she got one of those for me with the same paperwork. The upside is no one off payment of $155 for a TRC, the downside is having to get a police stamp every 6 months, but it's no biggie for me.  My advice to you is to get off the bureaucratic roundabout and go back to Nguyen Thi Minh Khai and get the VEC.  Charmavietnam was one of the lucky ones to get a TRC while the government held open the window of opportunity for that 5 month period, but unfortunately they have closed it again for who knows what reason. Perhaps because they can?

Thanks for your interest and advice.  I am posting this information so others might benefit from my experience.

In April I went to the Nguyen Thi Minh Khai office to ask about a TRC - spouse.   I was told that they are available but first I would have to get a VEC.    That had to be done at the Nguyen Trai Street office.    The Nguyen Trai office drip fed me information so that I had to make 6 visits there and I finally got the 5 year VEC.    To activate it, I had to do a border run to Moc Bai.   I did that in late May.

I then went back to the Nguyen Thi Minh Khai office in May and told them I now wanted the paperwork/forms for a TRC as a spouse.   They gave me forms NA7 and NA8 along with a special green colored folder for use when lodging a TRC - as a spouse.   No mention the the TRC was not available!

As I posted yesterday, I tried to lodge the application at Nguyen Thi Minh Khai office but was told I had to lodge it at Cao Lanh.   And of course at Cao Lanh I was told they would not process it.    Back to Nguyen Thi Minh Khai who said again I would have to go to Cao Lanh.   Again, no mention that a TRC was no longer available..... but I am now in a never ending bureaucratic loop!

So........while it pained me to do so (but I am now very determined to win this bureaucratic battle), yesterday I spoke to an agent in HCMC who advertises visa services quite widely on Facebook etc.    His advice was simple - TRC for 3 years (spouse) is available and I can have it in 7 days (or 2 days for a small extra fee).   His fee for the process is not unreasonable.   Frankly, the time and money spent on travelling to and from Cao Lanh and the Immigration Office at Nguyen Thi Minh Khai has cost more than his fee!   Looks like I should have just gone to see him from the start.

Can you please tell me how much he charged?

I don't mind telling you but i'll wait until i have the TRC in my angry hands!

:top:

Yeah this spousal TRC is for who possess a VEC or a TT visa as I explained earlier.
Like I guessed, it's the arrogant and ignorant officials not the law!

Never heard of one having to exit the country in order to renew a VEC. I do mine every 6 months now, and have never had to leave the country. When the period was 3 months I never had to exit either. And the renewal stamp was never free either.

Hi. How are you?

TRC PROGRESS REPORT

Finally, after the frustration of dealing with officials who do not know their own laws and job, I have my 3 years TRC (Spouse).

As I reported earlier, the HMCM immigration Office told me I had to apply in Dong Thap Province and Immigration Officials in Dong Thap said I had to apply in HCMC.   A stupid situation caused by officials who do not understand their job.

In frustration I consulted an agent in HCMC who arranged the TRC in 7 days with the same paperwork I had presented.   The actual fee for the service was just over US$200.00.  I do not care who paid what to who.    The hassle of travelling back and forth between Dong Thap and HCMC with no result was ridiculous.

Vagabondone wrote:

Never heard of one having to exit the country in order to renew a VEC. I do mine every 6 months now, and have never had to leave the country. When the period was 3 months I never had to exit either. And the renewal stamp was never free either.

The need to exit the country was not to renew the VEC but to activate it.

Jvdairlie wrote:

TRC PROGRESS REPORT

Finally, after the frustration of dealing with officials who do not know their own laws and job, I have my 3 years TRC (Spouse).

As I reported earlier, the HMCM immigration Office told me I had to apply in Dong Thap Province and Immigration Officials in Dong Thap said I had to apply in HCMC.   A stupid situation caused by officials who do not understand their job.

In frustration I consulted an agent in HCMC who arranged the TRC in 7 days with the same paperwork I had presented.   The actual fee for the service was just over US$200.00.  I do not care who paid what to who.    The hassle of travelling back and forth between Dong Thap and HCMC with no result was ridiculous.

Was the US$200  over and above the US$155 that Charmavietnam said he paid for his, or did you only pay US$45 more than he did?

Yes - over and above but I was left with no option than to get someone to do it for me.    If I had not tried to do it myself and had gone straight to an agent, I would have saved myself about $50.00 in the long run.   I am happier to pay an agent who actually does something for me than to directly pay 'tea money' to someone who should be doing their job!   

It's the luck of the draw!   I got three officials who did not know the law and/or their job (or just did not care).   Other people will inevitably strike it lucky and perhaps deal with officials who do know what to do.

Having dealt with officials to get a driving license, get married, buy property, get a TRC and other sundry tasks, I trust no-one, believe no-one and accept that the 'system' is what it is!   You just have to find a way or a person who knows the way around the brick walls.

Jvdairlie wrote:
Vagabondone wrote:

The need to exit the country was not to renew the VEC but to activate it.

I have never had to leave the country to activate my VEC. But who knows, it seems like we all get a different answer and a different experience.

I got a VEC on 24/5/16 and was also told I must leave the country to activate it, which I will do at Moc Bai border crossing next week.  Ours is not to reason why.

Congratulations!
Yeah that $45 is not much when we think about hassles because of some useless officials :D
I was in a TRC before I got the VEC so I did the border run to activate too!

Jvdairlie wrote:

TRC PROGRESS REPORT

@charmavietnam
You said you had a TRC and then got a VEC. Was just curious about a few things. Was your TRC a work related or family? What did you see as the advantages of switching from a TRC to a VEC if, indeed, it was a family related TRC?

I had a work related TRC previously. When it expired, I got a VEC which I activated through a border run to Moc Bai gate then applied and got the spousal TRC within a week which cost $155 for 3 years. I preferred this 3 year TRC because of 6 months VEC extension hassle :D and we don't sure about these immigration guys character even though rules are not changed!

Vagabondone wrote:

@charmavietnam
You said you had a TRC and then got a VEC. Was just curious about a few things. Was your TRC a work related or family? What did you see as the advantages of switching from a TRC to a VEC if, indeed, it was a family related TRC?

Sorry for sounding preachy, especially with you Charma, a truly top contributor, but if we all followed my suggestion in #105 and used the abbreviations WR-TRC and M-TRC then a lot of this confusion could be avoided.

@charmvietnam
Okay, that is what I thought. I further assume that everyone that is having to make border runs to activate their VEC were in a similar situation. It would make sense that someone here on a work TRC that then applied for any type of visa would have to activate it in some fashion at an entry point. I too plan to get a TRC when my VEC expires. It not only is less hassle within renewals I think, but a VEC can quickly use up your passport pages and then you must pay for that.

tunnelrat69 wrote:

As for 'Marriage to Vietnamese', we are long term domestic partners, she and I have been together almost 20 years, she has lived with me in several other countries - do I qualify to be a member of household??  The local police here know me very well as I register with them every time I come home - which is more now since I recently retired.  I would like a Retirement Visa,or a Temporary Resident Visa somthing of that nature.......I am 65 years old, is there a long term Visa that I qualify for??

"An Long?" If that is in Dong Thap, that is where my wife is form. Spent most of two tours in that area.

The question is that having been together for 20 years, why not get married? Their are a number of financial and other benefits to making it legal, both in Viet Nam and the USA.

An Long is in Dong Thap, we actually live in Phu Ninh, just before An Long..........as for the marraige, now that I am retired we may entertain this..........but I have no desire to live in the US and neither does she.  I have rental property in Hawaii that provides a decent income, including my retirement annuities, Social Security etc etc.........the only benefit is a federal tax deduction, Hawaii does not tax any Government retirement income.

I took a slight hit on my Military retirement, so that my wife could have some income if something happened to me. My wife won't get anything from my SSI because her SSI is to high. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be around longer than my wife.

There is no law regulation for receiving a FAMILY Temporary Resident Card.
TRC is issued to WORKER / employed by Vietnam compant.
People talk about their TRC card have no idea card is not FAMILY I
it is acard assigned to a fictitious job TRC holder employed as a WORKER sponsored by the job.

The agents and people who collect money for a TRC claiming it is a family / WIFE / HUSBAND / ARE ALL FRAUD... careful evaluation and examination by Vietnam Ministry Of Justice / Immigration / Security show name on TRC is burried under a company name as a temporary worker for a company
owned by a Vietnam national...

The TRC grants a 1~3 year Temporary Residence for a job related worker that is supposed to work for a Vietnam National owned business. sales, marketing, teach, but also pay tax by the business.

With the FORMS you can download SN 9-8-etc etc it is for the employer to file or the paid agent to
manipulate for a few dollars since they must show and pay salary paid taxes to qualify a TRC

Where the hell this infoprmation comes from?

The Vietnam Embassy staff managers outside the country of Vietnam are aware and well informed of
travelers asking for TRC.

The Embassy OUTSIDE Vietnam can explain in simple English the Family TRC is a fraud assumed as a company registered worker and fees from 200 to 1300 was and is asked by under ground agents who must legaly file worker tax, job. company sponsored  TRC

All Vietnam Embassy however can file and process a 5 year VISA free entrance for free no charge
if all paper FORMS / photo / family RED Book residence  are presented to receive a 5 year VISA free
FAMILY entrance / exit increments of 6 months visa renewal by  paying family red book Vietnam house resident local police station  or simply leave and do a border run...

The Hanoi Embassy staff has declared above and as it happens has no man power to investigate a TRC job location verification they at this time can verify name of company and tax paid by the worker holding a TRC
I
It is bad news when you sincere and do have family in Vietnam but have no status to retire in
Vietnam or gain some retirement options with family in Vietnam. Thailand and other countriesd
have a simple  extended VISA policy with rights to open banking, property purchase, motor vehicles license, ownership, legal but not available in Vietnam unless you form a third party triangle
fake TRC acquisition.. There you have it news at 9 and 11 watch that telly

Are you saying that there never was a government regulation permitting spousal TRC's?  Or are you saying that there isn't one now because it has been rescinded by the government?   Charmavietnam may be interested in your reply as he obtained a spousal TRC early this year and gave detailed information on the steps he took to get it.

You are wrong!

@expatviet:
I am not sure from which source you got all these WRONG infotainment :D

expatviet wrote:

There is no law regulation for receiving a FAMILY Temporary Resident Card.
TRC is issued to WORKER / employed by Vietnam compant.
People talk about their TRC card have no idea card is not FAMILY I
it is acard assigned to a fictitious job TRC holder employed as a WORKER sponsored by the job.

The agents and people who collect money for a TRC claiming it is a family / WIFE / HUSBAND / ARE ALL FRAUD... careful evaluation and examination by Vietnam Ministry Of Justice / Immigration / Security show name on TRC is burried under a company name as a temporary worker for a company
owned by a Vietnam national...

The TRC grants a 1~3 year Temporary Residence for a job related worker that is supposed to work for a Vietnam National owned business. sales, marketing, teach, but also pay tax by the business.

With the FORMS you can download SN 9-8-etc etc it is for the employer to file or the paid agent to
manipulate for a few dollars since they must show and pay salary paid taxes to qualify a TRC

Where the hell this infoprmation comes from?

The Vietnam Embassy staff managers outside the country of Vietnam are aware and well informed of
travelers asking for TRC.

The Embassy OUTSIDE Vietnam can explain in simple English the Family TRC is a fraud assumed as a company registered worker and fees from 200 to 1300 was and is asked by under ground agents who must legaly file worker tax, job. company sponsored  TRC

All Vietnam Embassy however can file and process a 5 year VISA free entrance for free no charge
if all paper FORMS / photo / family RED Book residence  are presented to receive a 5 year VISA free
FAMILY entrance / exit increments of 6 months visa renewal by  paying family red book Vietnam house resident local police station  or simply leave and do a border run...

The Hanoi Embassy staff has declared above and as it happens has no man power to investigate a TRC job location verification they at this time can verify name of company and tax paid by the worker holding a TRC
I
It is bad news when you sincere and do have family in Vietnam but have no status to retire in
Vietnam or gain some retirement options with family in Vietnam. Thailand and other countriesd
have a simple  extended VISA policy with rights to open banking, property purchase, motor vehicles license, ownership, legal but not available in Vietnam unless you form a third party triangle
fake TRC acquisition.. There you have it news at 9 and 11 watch that telly

This comment contains SO many wrong information that I am not able to correct it anymore. Just reply to alert anyone that may read this and about to follow it.

It looks like the work of a troll

Perhaps a moderator could delete it because it is very misleading and just plain WRONG!

Hello everyone,

In the light of the information provided and the comments that followed, it seems fair enough that we wait till expatviet explains his post.

@ Expatviet, can you please provide the links/source where you retrieved this information ?

We will have to remove your post and a couple of other related comments (by tomorrow) if the information given can not be supported.

Thank you in advance,
Bhavna

Jvdairlie wrote:

Perhaps a moderator could delete it because it is very misleading and just plain WRONG!

Does your TRC look the same as the one issued to  Charmavietnam?  He posted a photo of his when he got it in post #4

Yes - my TRC is identical.

Which puts paid to this "information" from expatviet  "The agents and people who collect money for a TRC claiming it is a family / WIFE / HUSBAND / ARE ALL FRAUD... careful evaluation and examination by Vietnam Ministry Of Justice / Immigration / Security show name on TRC is burried under a company name as a temporary worker for a company
owned by a Vietnam national..".