3 Year TRC (Temporary Residence Card) without work permit

I live in An Gaing province, do I have to come to HCMC to apply for a TRC?

You should go to the nearest immigration office. Actually there are authorized provincial offices under Ministry of Public Security.
You can do a search or ask your sponsor.

The  nearest immigration office is the one I go every 6 month to get a extension for my VR-visa. But they say it is not possible for me me to get a TRC or even a VEC, although my wife is Vietnamese.

I ask them why, the answer was "Not possible" end of conversation.

Is there any other way to get a TRC?

The  nearest immigration office is the one I go every 6 month to get a extension for my VR-visa. But they say it is not possible for me me to get a TRC or even a VEC, although my wife is Vietnamese.

I ask them why, the answer was "Not possible" end of conversation.

Is there any other way to get a TRC?

Thank you !what is the Adress of theTRC office ? If possible. Ear Prospekt MiraMetro.
Thanks
Zissel

What do you mean with "Ear Prospekt MiraMetro"

I meant. Where is the TRC office Adress? I live near Prospekt Mira Metro.
Zissel

zissel wrote:

I meant. Where is the TRC office Adress? I live near Prospekt Mira Metro.
Zissel

lol, we're staying in VietNam

Rene 1956 wrote:

I live in An Gaing province, do I have to come to HCMC to apply for a TRC?

Sounds like the best option.

The piss-ant officals in the smaller cities make their own rules. You could get your wife to contact the office in Can Tho and see what they say or just head to Saigon and save yourself grief.

Zissel,

I don't know the address but it is close to the co-op super market on 12 Nguyễn Huệ A, Long Xuyên.

Zissel,

Can you let me know if your could get a TRC in Long Xuyen?

Agree with colinoscapee.
They seems real 'country side' staff who never update rules :D

So get one 'Residence Document' from your ward police station (you just take your passport and ask them that you need this one to apply for the TRC (Thẻ tạm trú). If they don't understand English, you need some Vietnamese to translate. If you need application format:

https://i.postimg.cc/Dw7h7gFC/Application-for-temporary-residence-don-xin-xac-nhan-tam-tru.jpg

Just type with the help of some Vietnamese and print out.

If your wife is the sponsor, she should have to collect another document from her ward police (address in her national ID).

Take all documents with originals and head to Saigon. They start from 8.30 to collect. Don't forget to keep some money for TRC fee in the form of VND. Good luck!

Can someone give me the name of a agent in HCMC who can help me with the application of the TCR.

Hi,
What is a TT visa and how do i get one?
i am married to a vn girl and intend to move to vietnam later this year permanently.
can i get a TRC without a TT visa.
I am visiting in March for 2 weeks on a 15 day visa free so can i do anything to apply when i there?

NickEtchells wrote:

Hi,
What is a TT visa and how do i get one?
i am married to a vn girl and intend to move to vietnam later this year permanently.
can i get a TRC without a TT visa.
I am visiting in March for 2 weeks on a 15 day visa free so can i do anything to apply when i there?

Is your wife still a VN citizen?

yes,she is living in vn.i am currently in uk
how do i get a TT VISA?

NickEtchells wrote:

yes,she is living in vn.i am currently in uk
how do i get a TT VISA?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but there are only two ways to get any kind of Vietnam visa from outside the country:

1. Through the Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam in your country (in person, by mail or through website) or...

2. Through an agent in Vietnam.

If you search the forum for "visa" you should find a lot of recommendations for agents, posted by other people here.

Some of those are true recommendations by satisfied customers.

Some are SPAM by people claiming to be agents.

If Colin gives you a recommendation, you can trust it.

I will send you a private message with the link to the agent I personally trust in Hanoi.

BTW, any reputable agent in the country can help you; meaning, you can use an agent in Hanoi to handle your visa if you are flying into HCMC/Saigon.

You must fill out an NA7 form with your wife as guarantor.

This form must be stamped from your wife's home town (where she is listed in the family book).

Depending on where the home town is (your wife must go there to sign), 15 days may be too short.

With this form, you go to an agent and pay $300 to $500 (with me it took about a week), or you go directly to the responsible authorities and pay about $130 (I don't know how long it will take).

Update:
This information is for a 3 year TRC type TT.

andy i sent you a pm with some questions as the most recent responder on this thread? thanks

Is there a way to get a TRC using only your Vietnamese children?  For example, if you are a foreigner (not Viet Khieu) but divorced from a Vietnamese with whom you have underage kids who have VN passports, and everyone lives in VN can you get a TRC as the parent of the kids, and not as the spouse?

How would that work? Can an ungrateful, spiteful, childish, thieving unhelpful wife, ex or otherwise, be worked around and not needed?  Given the degree of evil possible, have you ever heard of an ex petitioning to block any further stay in VN (though with nothing like charges or anything legal to justify such a thing).  I should add, if I have copies of documents already, is anything from an unhelpful spouse needed that I couldn't simply include in the application myself (and I don't mean by forging anything, just by supplying it)?

Just asking hypothetically, of course :-/

Btw, is there a list here of the different lengths of time for different types of TRC?

Also, if I have TRC that was done through an agent as a company employee I assume - how can I tell? - , but def not the type I would do this time,  I mean hypothetically a friend might do :) what is the procedure to do it, as-in do I have to leave VN? how much time do you think is needed to do it? have people had any problems doing it themselves with particular stages?

I have read some of this thread and will read more but wanted to ask about kids specifically.

While here, does anyone have a permanent resident card? Are they actually not too hard to get now, as it sounds on paper? Or still mostly a mythological document. I've never seen one and I don't know anyone with one. I doubt I have time for it though considering a criminal check is required which must (maybe not?) take some time.

Thank you very much, very informative forum. Now just need to ask about driver's lic, hypothetical divorce and property issues, health insurance... or maybe just straight to burial issues hahaha jeez.  Thanks :)

snoopcat wrote:

Is there a way to get a TRC using only your Vietnamese children?  For example, if you are a foreigner (not Viet Khieu) but divorced from a Vietnamese with whom you have underage kids who have VN passports, and everyone lives in VN can you get a TRC as the parent of the kids, and not as the spouse?

How old is your child? At law, parent of a Vietnamese citizen can get a TRC. But in practice, the local immigration may require that such Vietnamese citizen must be 18 or older.

snoopcat wrote:

Btw, is there a list here of the different lengths of time for different types of TRC?

No, all TRC application go through the same timeframe.

snoopcat wrote:

Also, if I have TRC that was done through an agent as a company employee I assume - how can I tell?

The TRC will state its type as "LD". Its bilingual Vietnamese-English so you could check it yourself.

snoopcat wrote:

While here, does anyone have a permanent resident card? Are they actually not too hard to get now, as it sounds on paper? Or still mostly a mythological document. I've never seen one and I don't know anyone with one. I doubt I have time for it though considering a criminal check is required which must (maybe not?) take some time.

Yes it is very difficult to get a permanent residence card even if you can gather all documents required.

>>At law, parent of a Vietnamese citizen can get a TRC.

That's what I said having read the law

>>But in practice, the local immigration may require that such Vietnamese citizen must be 18 or older.

That's what they said, without being able to show anything to back the point, then of course getting all snotty about it. So I then asked her why she was changing by herself the law made in Hanoi? :)

This is my only option now and I called up while a certain semi-ex disappeared with my pp for a month to cause a problem insteadof filling a form in, and the woman was very reasonable on the phone and said to bring whatever documents I could and the person I talk to would take that into account for ho long I might get on a visa.

Any further advice on how to push them on this issue when the kids are a good bit under 18? I couldn't find any clause detailing their age requirement but the one person at Immigration kept asking how they could take on the duty of sponsoring me. I said they don't they just need me here. Obviously that case is needed if the citizen parent died and the kids are Vietnamese (as mine are). This is very similar. I'm funding them, not the other way round but how to get Immigration to be logical? Who should I deal with, simply someone downstairs of the 3 I saw sitting there? Or there's an office with senior staff upstairs better to see  - or avoid?

I now have to go tomorrow to speak with a ward police captain (or whatever title the head guy has) after trying to get a stolen pp report for Immigration as they asked for when I callled to explain and ask what to do, from the on duty police who didn't want to give me one, being sufficiently compensated by my semi-ex's dear friendship.  Then after wasting hours there, onto Immigration. 

Any tips and suggestions appreciated. Feel free to message me privately if need be. Thanks.

Snoopcat, I understood your necessity but we cannot change law :D
It's simple, minor kids are not entitled to perform anything legally until they are 18 !
So your kid is helpless in this case, according to law! She/he cannot be your 'sponsor' in TRC until 18 years.

Hello.  Reposting here as I posted in the wrong TRC thread last time.  I've been looking through the TRC threads and I'm still confused as to how the TRC works.

I'm a U.S. citizen married to a VN citizen.

1.  Can I get a T.R.C. just being married to my VN wife now?
2.  If I have a T.R.C., do I still need to get visas?  What happens when your visa expires?
3.  Do I need to get the T.R.C. stamped or checked every once in a while?
4.  Is the T.R.C. pasted into your passport like the Visas?
5.  Is it okay to apply for a T.R.C. while you are on any visa? D.N. or tourist, etc.?

One more question about the order of things.  I've got a year long multi-entry D.N. visa that expires in September.  My passport expires in 2.5 years.  In what order should I renew my passport, get a new visa, and apply for a T.R.C.?  I'm worried about having an empty passport if I get a fresh passport after getting long term stuff pasted or stamped in the old one.

Thank you.

snoopcat wrote:

>>At law, parent of a Vietnamese citizen can get a TRC.

That's what I said having read the law

>>But in practice, the local immigration may require that such Vietnamese citizen must be 18 or older.

That's what they said, without being able to show anything to back the point, then of course getting all snotty about it. So I then asked her why she was changing by herself the law made in Hanoi? :)

This is my only option now and I called up while a certain semi-ex disappeared with my pp for a month to cause a problem insteadof filling a form in, and the woman was very reasonable on the phone and said to bring whatever documents I could and the person I talk to would take that into account for ho long I might get on a visa.

Any further advice on how to push them on this issue when the kids are a good bit under 18? I couldn't find any clause detailing their age requirement but the one person at Immigration kept asking how they could take on the duty of sponsoring me. I said they don't they just need me here. Obviously that case is needed if the citizen parent died and the kids are Vietnamese (as mine are). This is very similar. I'm funding them, not the other way round but how to get Immigration to be logical? Who should I deal with, simply someone downstairs of the 3 I saw sitting there? Or there's an office with senior staff upstairs better to see  - or avoid?

I now have to go tomorrow to speak with a ward police captain (or whatever title the head guy has) after trying to get a stolen pp report for Immigration as they asked for when I callled to explain and ask what to do, from the on duty police who didn't want to give me one, being sufficiently compensated by my semi-ex's dear friendship.  Then after wasting hours there, onto Immigration. 

Any tips and suggestions appreciated. Feel free to message me privately if need be. Thanks.

Why don't you forget the family visa and go with tourist visa, work visa or investor visa? If you are funding the kids, I assume that you may have enough money to open a company and sponsor yourself to stay in Vietnam.

charmavietnam wrote:

It's simple, minor kids are not entitled to perform anything legally until they are 18 !
So your kid is helpless in this case, according to law! She/he cannot be your 'sponsor' in TRC until 18 years.

I don't know that's true, so not asking to change the law, of course. I specifically asked them to FOLLOW the law.

1) nowhere does it stipulate that children must be over 18.
2) they can do some things legally before 18. you can marry before 18 can't you? you could recently anyway.
3) but who said "sponsor" someone means anything legally anyway? It's a word. It means whatever you want to define it as. Maybe it means "invite"? Maybe it means what it says, a VN citizen inviting a parent to visit in VN and that parent can have a resident card. I can't be bothered to look it up right now. It may be very clear, I'm going to read it again later, but I don't recall offhand a section saying how you are legally responsible for debts or anything. That's unenforceable anyway.

Otherwise how is VN going to handle the case of a parent dying and the remaining parent is a foreigner and the children are VN citizens, perhaps only speaking Vietnamese, going to school in Vietnam? What, kick the foreigner out? Kick VN citizens out too? Or let the kids "invite" their parent to be in VN. Who says they even need to sign anything? The gov't just needs to recognize that one person is the parent and required to be in VN. Done.

VN often does thee crazy things legally like the police getting people to write promissory notes that have no legal value whatsoever. Wow, big deal, some one promised not to do X anymore. What's the punishment for breaking a promise? Right, there isn't one.

in a few days? I can't imagine they make it as easy as it sounds. what does it cost? then you have to do all the taxes and nightmare that goes with it, and do what? nothing?  Is there a do nothing company for $250, ready in a day, just need a passport? I think Cambodia does that, don't they?

well, of course I'd have to get a different one but start with the best one according to the law.

snoopcat wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

I don't know that's true, so not asking to change the law, of course. I specifically asked them to FOLLOW the law.

1) nowhere does it stipulate that children must be over 18.
2) they can do some things legally before 18. you can marry before 18 can't you? you could recently anyway.
3) but who said "sponsor" someone means anything legally anyway? It's a word. It means whatever you want to define it as. Maybe it means "invite"? Maybe it means what it says, a VN citizen inviting a parent to visit in VN and that parent can have a resident card. I can't be bothered to look it up right now. It may be very clear, I'm going to read it again later, but I don't recall offhand a section saying how you are legally responsible for debts or anything. That's unenforceable anyway.

Otherwise how is VN going to handle the case of a parent dying and the remaining parent is a foreigner and the children are VN citizens, perhaps only speaking Vietnamese, going to school in Vietnam? What, kick the foreigner out? Kick VN citizens out too? Or let the kids "invite" their parent to be in VN. Who says they even need to sign anything? The gov't just needs to recognize that one person is the parent and required to be in VN. Done.

VN often does thee crazy things legally like the police getting people to write promissory notes that have no legal value whatsoever. Wow, big deal, some one promised not to do X anymore. What's the punishment for breaking a promise? Right, there isn't one.

We can't marry before 18 :D
"Sponsor" is a legal word, its not whatever we define it as :v

I see that you prefer complaining over finding a solution.  If you want to complain about Vietnamese government, show them proof of another government that allows children to sponsor their parent to immigrate its country.  Then the Vietnamese government might feel ashamed and amend the law to make it clear that Vietnamese citizen "at any age" can sponsor their parent for immigration purpose.  Good luck.

I think it best you do it your way, you don't take advice too well.

I tried looking online for the rules on immigration to Zimbabwe, where snoopcat is from, but it looks like nobody is interested in doing so.   :unsure

Are you Vietnamese and work for the gov't? I've never seen anyone else complain about asking simple but important questions, and defend the gov't for not serving people logically and professionally.  Or responding to such questions with typically tribal "if you don't love the gov't then go home" type responses. Or claim that others are "complaining about the gov't" by not declaring any response of yours, however incoherent or illogical, to be wonderful because it came from someone Vietnamese? Do Vietnamese people actually fall for nonsense like that?

It doth appear to mine and kindred eye that thou art the one who doth complain.

>>"Sponsor" is a legal word, its not whatever we define it as

I won't assume you think I was actually claiming that any random person could define "sponsor" as desired, because that would be quite insulting toward your reading comprehension level. So...

Do you not see yet that you have made no sense? I.e., have posted nonsense? How does any word gain a legal definition? By being defined within a law. And however the bleep the gov't wants to define it.  If they want to pass a law stating that you need a "banana" to get a resident card, and define a "banana" as a poem written by your mother, well, call Mom and tell her to write a "banana", because that's how it's been defined legally.

What I said was I doubted there is a specific legal definition of the word "sponsor". There could be. But it's ridiculous and, shall we say delicately, "gesturing toward the absence of a keen intelligence" to have any problem with the idea that children can be citizens and that's enough reason to grant a resident card to their foreign citizen parent. Or to ask about it.

>>If you want to complain about Vietnamese government, show them proof of another government that allows children to sponsor their parent to immigrate its country.  Then the Vietnamese government might feel ashamed and amend the law to make it clear that Vietnamese citizen "at any age" can sponsor their parent for immigration purpose.

Wow, that was silly. Why would you have a problem if anyone complained about the VN gov't? Are you paid by the gov't to (badly) influence people on forums? If not, it seems you have no reason at all. What are you here? Illegitimate or irrelevant?

Do you know what's even better? That you personally feel ashamed and learn the definition of words you use incorrectly here. No one said to "immigrate" to VN. Until you waddled in and laid that egg. The question was about "residing" in VN, and how the immigration law itself does NOT state that a child sponsoring a parent must be 18. (And clearly you have yet to grasp that "sponsor" doesn't mean a 3 year old will have to race to the hospital to pay dad's bill if sick. In the immigration law itself, it is not defined in any legalistic manner. Thus it merely means you need X to get Y. Nothing more. If defined elsewhere, well, then you should have replied with that instead of all the errors you did post.  You know, be helpful and post "facts" and cite the actual laws, not simply grunt errors then complain when not accepted.

Then, again, apparently I don't take advice too well, because when given silly, illogical answers, I ask questions about the actual law and actual experience.  Ya know, all that Western silliness that you know VN doesn't need as long as it has the current gov't and enough reps to complain about questions and tell people to shut up or go home.

You have just proven your mental state.  :joking:

You were given answers regarding this situation and all you reply with are vapid responses.

See ya, wouldnt want to be ya.  :dumbom:

I am not working for the government, actually I am on the opposite side, I am a lawyer. But most importantly, I am a "reasonable person", which obviously you are not.

Do you need to have a sponsor to obtain a TRC?
I am an author, Gillian P. Brown. My travel will be work related.

GillianPat wrote:

You need to go back and read the first post in this thread.  Yes you need a sponsor for this particular type of TRC, but the sponsor must be a Vietnamese citizen who is your spouse, parent or adult child.

GillianPat wrote:

As an American citizen, you can probably qualify for a 1 year category DN business visa through a Visa On Arrival (VOA) agent who will match you with a sponsoring 'xyz' business.

You cannot "work" (take home taxable income in Vietnam) but you get to stay in country for a year at a time, without needing to do border runs.

If someone says these visas aren't available, get more opinions.

I just obtained my approval letter for my 2nd business visa scheduled to go into effect at the end of August, when I'll do my only border run since entering the country on a business Visa last August.

Hello, I posted a while back, trying again because my year long Visa expires in September.  Trying to get a spousal TRC.

Current status:
US passport
Married to Vietnamese citizen
Police book registered with wife living in a house in HCMC
Wife's family book and marriage cert are both from Dong Nai
1 year DN visa expiring early September.

I just renewed my passport and the US consulate told me first I need to go to Nguyen Trai to swap the old visa to the new passport.

I contacted the visa agent I usually use.  She said I need to
1) leave Vietnam
2) apply for a TT visa as a spouse while outside of Vietnam
3)come back on a TT visa rather than my DN visa
4)apply for the spousal TRC while in the country under the TT visa.

Is this correct?

I'd like to do this spending as little time outside of VN as possible.

If I can apply for the TRC with my DN visa that would probably be better, although I'm running out of time, maybe 5 weeks left on it.

Info on how to do this, or a trusted agent, would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

mtgmike wrote:

Hello, I posted a while back, trying again because my year long Visa expires in September.  Trying to get a spousal TRC.

Current status:
US passport
Married to Vietnamese citizen
Police book registered with wife living in a house in HCMC
Wife's family book and marriage cert are both from Dong Nai
1 year DN visa expiring early September.

I just renewed my passport and the US consulate told me first I need to go to Nguyen Trai to swap the old visa to the new passport.

I contacted the visa agent I usually use.  She said I need to
1) leave Vietnam
2) apply for a TT visa as a spouse while outside of Vietnam
3)come back on a TT visa rather than my DN visa
4)apply for the spousal TRC while in the country under the TT visa.

Is this correct?

I'd like to do this spending as little time outside of VN as possible.

If I can apply for the TRC with my DN visa that would probably be better, although I'm running out of time, maybe 5 weeks left on it.

Thank you.

Sending you a private message with the info for my trusted agent in Hanoi.

She can work with anyone anywhere inside the country as well as most countries outside Vietnam.

From what I've heard, I suspect the information you've been told is accurate.

Cheers!

mtgmike wrote:

Thank you.

It appears you have disabled the private message function on this website.

I was able to add you as a contact, so it's not because I'm blocked...

Thanks much!  I'll give her a call.  I'm just finding out I may have some other issues with my DN visa from last year, I put a separate post about that on the forum.