Spending eid holidays - anything specific instructions to an expat????

friends,
As u all know I am from India, landed just last monday (yes I spent more than a week here. :)),

with eid holidays  coming and I cant go back to India and will be in RIYAD, any instructions what not to do, especially any special prayer timings, any instructions on what not to eat, when not to be on the road, any special things I would need to do to avoid people spamming me?

YDay at arround 7PM, I just reached a place near to my house and trying to reach my home, a lot of mullahs, police guys were on the road and giving some instructions and people started running here and there and first I didnt understood a single thing there. Later one of my house mates said, u cant be on the road when the PRAYERS r happening, but one releif he told me that if u r non-muslim, its OK, just that u need to avoid explaining to the people, they may or may not listen.............. Very interesting experieence............

Any thing such this during eid holidays ???????????

anything that helps me , please post back............ :rolleyes:

Nah, nothing special pretty much common stuff just stay away at prayer times.

But in case you look like a goat then I would suggest stay at home :D:D

slyshooter wrote:

Ok, SA local lions and tigers will be looking for goats like me, so would need to find a way to escape or transform myself from goat to something else. Good suggestion dude. :):):)

...and in case you look like a sheep please stay away from mm2

wats with mm2 and sheep?? did i miss something??

slyshooter wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: u r slyly funny :P

Usually when mutawas are giving ppl orders at prayer time, they are only telling them to go pray. They just try to advice people to go do something for their religion instead of sitting on their a$$ and do nothing. Thats why there is no problem if ur a non-muslim. Those loosers that were running away that day just didnt wanna pray, which I agree, it is freedom of choice. But they are totally portraying the wrong image, since running away is being related to the prayers. Mutawas are just doing their jobs, as in GOVERNMENTAL. Lets clarify something here, in the islam religion, the way mutawas instruct ppl to go pray, that is, them yelling and giving you the "you are going to hell" look, is the exact opposite of what the quran states.

Anyway, I have spent more than one eid here, and its the best time to enjoy riyadh. Zero traffic, very hard to find crazy drivers. That is only because everyone leaves for the vacation. So go out and enjoy the beauty of riyadh streets!

Nina_01 wrote:

Usually when mutawas are giving ppl orders at prayer time, they are only telling them to go pray. They just try to advice people to go do something for their religion instead of sitting on their a$$ and do nothing. Thats why there is no problem if ur a non-muslim. Those loosers that were running away that day just didnt wanna pray, which I agree, it is freedom of choice. But they are totally portraying the wrong image, since running away is being related to the prayers. Mutawas are just doing their jobs, as in GOVERNMENTAL. Lets clarify something here, in the islam religion, the way mutawas instruct ppl to go pray, that is, them yelling and giving you the "you are going to hell" look, is the exact opposite of what the quran states.

Anyway, I have spent more than one eid here, and its the best time to enjoy riyadh. Zero traffic, very hard to find crazy drivers. That is only because everyone leaves for the vacation. So go out and enjoy the beauty of riyadh streets!

Thanks for a long explanation. Hope I will enjoy RIYAD in EID as much u enjoyed last time. :)

Sorry if I over explained.. I personally dont like to go that deep into the saudi 'religious' customs.. I wouldnt want to make anyone on the forum uncomfortable.. I just want everyone to enjoy saudi and ignore their stupid rules/mutawas. Cuz it really is a beautiful country..

Have a happy vacation :)

shahab.ali wrote:

It was a little joke by Alliecat which I will not repeat :rolleyes:

Nina_01 wrote:

Sorry if I over explained.. I personally dont like to go that deep into the saudi 'religious' customs.. I wouldnt want to make anyone on the forum uncomfortable.. I just want everyone to enjoy saudi and ignore their stupid rules/mutawas. Cuz it really is a beautiful country..

Have a happy vacation :)

not at all.

I also must agree that this is  good country, have good rules, have never ever seen a system like Saher anywhere and even one such thing exists, nobody bothers in other countries, but have seen this implemented very strictly, saw no driver trying to violate the rules, see vehicles stops immediately sincerely at RED light, which is hard to see in some other countires which I travelled. Enjoyable as long as we know what our pheripheral is, which is also true in any other country.

Nina_01 wrote:

Couldn't agree more!!

Anyone who judges the religion on the basis of what the M's do here is no different from crying that America is not democratic cos of Gitmo

musicman wrote:

Anyone who judges the religion on the basis of what the M's do here is no different from crying that America is not democratic cos of Gitmo

:)

shahab.ali wrote:

baa baa

Nina_01 wrote:

Very nicely put Nina :)

gowiththeflowUK wrote:
shahab.ali wrote:

baa baa

... black sheep
haven't you been a fool
yes sir, yes sir,
mm2 is kool
hurrah for the moderator
hurrah for the dame
and ohurrah for the posters
who like to play the game

musicman wrote:
gowiththeflowUK wrote:
shahab.ali wrote:

baa baa

... black sheep
haven't you been a fool
yes sir, yes sir,
mm2 is kool
hurrah for the moderator
hurrah for the dame

YAY :lol::lol: Brilliant MM - your the king :lol::lol:

musicman wrote:
gowiththeflowUK wrote:
shahab.ali wrote:

baa baa

... black sheep
haven't you been a fool
yes sir, yes sir,
mm2 is kool
hurrah for the moderator
hurrah for the dame

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:):):):):)

Hello

When do the Eid holidays begin? How long are they typically for during the Eid Al Adha?

Macdin wrote:

Hello

When do the Eid holidays begin? How long are they typically for during the Eid Al Adha?

11th Nov til 18 Nov

gowiththeflowUK wrote:
Macdin wrote:

Hello

11th Nov til 18 Nov

19th is also a friday, so in total 10th is the last working day and people will come to office on 20th.

I could send you some meat. Though, if you'd like, you could help us slaying our sheep. :D

Have a good Eid, dear.

Ramon,

Ramon1990 wrote:

I could send you some meat. Though, if you'd like, you could help us slaying our sheep. :D

Have a good Eid, dear.

Ramon,

:)

you too.