Need suggestions on salary...please......

Hi,

I'm living in India right now. I have got a job recently in an IT company in Kuala Lumpur. They have offered me a salary of RM3500/month(Excluding accomodation expenses and tax). I'm a 3 year experienced web developer. They said, only huge MNC's will be able to pay more than that salary. Is that salary usually get for a 3 year experienced developer in Malaysia? or Can I demand more salary ?

With RM3500/month will I be able live a decent life? Will I be able to save any money from my salary ? I'm not an expensive guy and I'm single.

Please give me suggestions soon....Thanks in Advance.

Its a very low salary even for 3 years' experience. Of course they tell you its a good salary and only large MNCs would pay more - its an old trick to get cheap labour. Cost of living is about 30-35% higher in Malaysia than India. You should only consider it if the pay is twice what you are currently earning. Accommodation will cost you around RM500-700 and tax will be RM875 for the first 6 months (i.e. 25% non resident tax deduction) and then about RM200. You can probably live on about RM30 per day. From this information work out whether its comparable to your current earnings - I doubt it.

Thanks for the reply Gravitas. I will try to negotiate and demand more salary.

Before anyone questions the RM30 per day - its an estimate that covers the amalgamation of groceries, eating out, mobile phone charges, and transportation.

I would want the employer to give you a breakdown of the tax deduction because there are some small companies that fudge the tax and don't pay the inland revenue on a monthly basis (even though they deduct from the salary). If they know you are interested in tax they may abide by the rules i.e. they should provide you with a monthly payslip confirming deductions for tax etc. The reason I mention this is because IF a company does not pay in the tax but you can prove it has been deducted from your salary, the company is liable and not you.

The company has by law to provide you with some form of medical insurance - whether the cost is deducted from your salary is also a question to ask.

When companies offer such low salaries, I get worried they are unprofessional and dodgy employers. You also will probably only get a one year contract as I think you may be employed under the Professional Pass III system.

You would be better under an Employment Pass but the minimum BASIC salary is RM5k per month. If you can get that you will be in a better position - BUT I think the company may not be able to employ you under that system as it requires a certain capital in the company. Test the waters in your discussions. Remembering the world "basic" is important.

If you want to share the company name in private please do so (just click on my profile name to access the PM system) - because recently I heard about a dodgy company where a similar job is now vacant. Confidentiality guaranteed. You might also want to say how you heard about the job please.

Hi Gravitas,

I didn't find an option to send private message. Could you give your email address to send private message ?

It is quite low even if company is footing the bill for accommodation.  Typically what they mentioned is true for smaller companies, because that is what local developers are paid for about 3 years experience.  So if you want to demand a higher salary, I need to look at your job description & job specification.  In general salaries for IT professionals in Asia Pacific are the highest in India.  Malaysia does not have that much of a demand or requirement for software developers that much unless it is for large MNCs.

Anyway, if you want more advice you can email me at [email protected] or call me at 012-3291577.

Thanks
Venkat

Is RM3,500 take home pay?  i.e. they are providing accommodation, paying tax, etc.? You can see the value of these income posts in earlier responses.

@

jaiwinb wrote:

Hi Gravitas,

I didn't find an option to send private message. Could you give your email address to send private message ?

You didn't activated your PM, that is why you were not able to send private messages so far.
I have activated it for you now, you should be able to communicate in private.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Wow what a bad salary. What it shows is how bad some Malaysian employers are!

In Star at weekend how starting salaries in Malaysia too low for graduates to start saving for property or car. So true Malaysia is suffering form massive house price over inflation from low interest rates.

When the low cost money asset bubble busts worldwide I am off to the middle of nowhere and live in a survival bunker :joking: until that Great Depression is over (the 1929 one will be relegated to a minor event compared to what is coming globally).

Until then don't come to Malaysia with less than 10k (single no kids) is my advice!

Hi Priscilla,

Thanks for activating my mailbox.