Cost of Living in Langkawi

Hello.

I'm sure this topic's been posted before but I cannot find it.

I will be moving to Langkawi in a month's time and would like to know the real cost of living in Langkawi. I've heard you can live comfortably for RM1000 a month or less (depending on your frugality). Can somebody clarify?

Thanks!
Jules

As Langkawi is a holiday island, the prices are considerably higher than other parts of Malaysia, other than similar tourist destinations. RM1k will possibly cover your accommodation (if you can find anything that cheap - which I am a little doubtful because as a foreigner, you will be expected not to take local rate accommodation away from local people). Food prices in shops will be about the same as elsewhere in Malaysia as many products are price fixed. Only some duty free items are actually a bit cheaper (?) and say purchasing tin beer from a shop (although those prices have doubled lately). Otherwise expect the same COL as in Penang/KL, but street food is not as cheap as Penang. Cost of transportation, unless you hire a motorbike (which will also impact your budget), will be expensive and the taxi fares are to set tariffs and based on tourist levels. Thailand is still considerably cheaper than Malaysia.

Hello.

Thank you for your information!

Food:Malay shops are plentiful around Pekan Rabu, which you can get a meal for RM6-10, but these shops close around midnight-1am, midnight snacking you only have KFC(24hrs) in Kuah or the only Mamak in Pekan Rabu too, Mafioso Cafe in Pekan Rabu serves tasty pasta at RM14-18, Artisans in Cenang/Pekan Rabu is overrated for pizza/pasta. TJ's in Cenang is slightly expensive for Pizza/Pasta but it's very tasty(they are closed/closing to move somewhere else). For people watching, Yellow Cafe in Cenang would be a good spot, food & beverage slightly pricey but tasty,they have happy hour from 5pm-6pm if I recall. Seafood around Trimula area is good, dining in a small group would be best. Wonderland/GLK would be my recommendations. Billion in Langkawi Fair/Langkawi Parade for Groceries. Sunbar for Nightlife(although ALL nightlife spots are closed on Thursdays, new GOVT ruling) Eagle Rock is smokey, dark and lame crowd in my opinion...but being on the island, one doesn't have abundance in choice. Its low season now, more rain too. Renting a scooter/car would be a good idea if you don't have one. The only cinema here seems to be packed on Wednesday/Thursday evenings. Lagenda park good for exercise/staring into the eagle statue at the jetty point. Decent sunset there too..