ASIC engineer job offer, is 12000 MYR a good deal

I'd like to ask if 12000 is a good deal in consideration of my current in-come in Ho Chi Minh city , and experience?
How much shall I actually receive after Tax and insurance deduction?

If I take my wife and my son to Malaysia, would you tell me how much the expense should be? (I need a normal 2-bed room apartment and probably a maid to help my wife take care of my son).

If I go to Malaysia alone, how much can I save?

I'm indeed looking forward to your help.

Hi 12000 myr is  approx 4.000 USD but of course Vietnam is cheaper to live in so about the same. Whether that is a good salary only you can determine that as you should know your own field! However it is not less than your current salary in real terms so I guess it is acceptable.

It is just over 10.000 RM after tax. That is after the first 6 months emergency tax of 26%.

Cyberjaya is well how shall I put it? Boredomsville and you will need a car to get around. That is 1,500 RM per month all in. With 10k net you can live ok and save a little but with a wife and a kid to support not a kings ransom of a salary. Rent 2k and food/bills/Naples say 2k plus medical/insurance anther 0.5k that is 6k spent before any luxury items or a night out. So after a hol once a year, clothes, presents and a a few Luxeries you could save 2k or 700 USD if you need a comparison. That is presuming you eat at home etc

Of course things like a new challenge opportunities to be in Malaysia and better medical faculties are also worth factoring in!

Regarding a maid big problem in Malaysia getting one. Used to be cheap but I know a businessman who supplied maids and he said been bad business for a long while. The government got strict as many fillipno maids had "second incomes" in jalan sultan ismail for example (!) and that upset a few powerfulpeople..... Prices now will make you think twice about a maid. I have a cleaner (local) and she makes a small fortune compared to local graduates in first jobs. In Vietnam a lot lot cheaper for maids

Hi Nemodot,

I think the client liked my skill very much,
so can you tell me the salary range of engineers
with 9-years of working experience.
I planned to save at least 2000USD, so I need to ask 5500
to 6000USD (including bonus). Do you think it's negotiable?

Sincerely,

Hi

I think 5500-6000 USD/monthly will be very difficult for you to get, of course it depends on how desperate the company really is but this kind of salary range is way out of the normal for your position.

Saving 6K MYR on a 12K salary is not gonna be easy. You will be required to find a cheap condo nearby your office so you can either walk or take the bus there. A car and maid is not gonna be in the picture. Life without a car in Malaysia is troublesome...

Hi Farm,

Thank you for your information.
  I think it should not take a move. I need a least
  to work 8 years to buy an normal apartment in Vietnam.
  I did not notice that KL is such an expensive city.

Sincerely,

Malaysian "job consultants" and "visa consultants" are all extreme liars! It's a joke! Local middle classes need 10k min to break even.

As for all those that think 12k is a lot (yawn) look at the roads. Jam packed with cars worth 100k a person and a small house a million RM. Do the math! KL is far richer than Malaysia

Because you say you are able to save minimum 1500USD/month at your current position i wouldn't recommend changing to this job offer. Don't get me wrong, 12K is a decent salary, in fact it's even a decent salary. Try to squeeze a bit more out of the offer to get some buffer for your 2000$/month savings.

If you stay in Cyberjaya the cost of living will drop tremendously. You only need to shed around 3000 MYR from your pocket for family for 4. (apart from travelling expense to KL). Cyberjaya is a nice place and many people commute from there to KL. With salary of 12K you can save at least 9000 MYR chich is = USD 2900. And this is deem to be a good salary. I think you should take this offer as averahe salary here is between 3000 - 5000 MYR.

Hi,

I am sure it is a fantastic option to explore. Bcos for a family of 4 the total living expense(Condo, Food, Travel, TV, Electricity, petrol)will come upto 3500MYR(max). There are plenty of places to visit each week, relish tasty food and quiet a lot of money to save:)

I can help you to find a maid...

Hi Anh Nguyen,
12k là một con số không nhỏ ở KL này, thằng cha Nemodot lúc nào cũng nhìn đời 1 cách phiến diện, nên không cần bàn đến. Nhưng mà so với ở VN làm được 2800usd so với mức 12k bên này là tương đương, mức savings của anh cũng sẽ tương đương. Nhưng mà nếu công việc ở VN đang vững chắc thì không nên đi, nếu công việc ở VN có dấu hiệu không tốt thì mới nên thay đổi, vì anh biết di chuyển cuộc sống của cả gia đình cũng không đơn giản.
Cá nhân em thấy nếu là single thì sẽ có cuộc sống khá thoải mái, mỗi tháng cũng có thể save được trên 2000usd. (ăn nhà hàng thường xuyên đó, một tuần ít nhất 4 lần). Nếu được thì anh nên deal với bên công ty cấp luôn nhà và xe, và mấy cái bảo hiểm cho cả nhà. (tại bên công ty em cũng cấp luôn phần đó).
Để làm expat thì nếu không deal được mức lương cao, thì anh nên deal mấy cái cộng thêm như nhà, xe, ... thường thì công ty sẽ đồng ý mấy cái đó, tại để công ty thuê thì dù sao cũng dễ hơn, khi nào mình muốn chuyển công ty khác cũng đơn giản hơn, khỏi phải đặt cọc tiền nhà rồi tùm lum thứ khác.
À, mà anh nhớ là nếu workpermit 6 tháng thì anh phải đóng 26% tax á... cho nên nói công ty làm workpermit 2 năm luôn thì tax sẽ thấp hơn, khoảng 1500RM / month cho mức lương 12k.

@noisysteps -> Can you please write in english on this Anglophone forum so that everybody can understand and participate? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Ragbhu123456 wrote:

If you stay in Cyberjaya the cost of living will drop tremendously. You only need to shed around 3000 MYR from your pocket for family for 4. (apart from travelling expense to KL). Cyberjaya is a nice place and many people commute from there to KL. With salary of 12K you can save at least 9000 MYR chich is = USD 2900. And this is deem to be a good salary. I think you should take this offer as averahe salary here is between 3000 - 5000 MYR.

Bro i don't think he ment 12K/month nett pay (heard about something called income tax?).
Living costs doesn't drop "tremendously" just because you stay in cyber/putrajaya. It's still expensive in relation to income levels. Never ever heard of an expat living in cyber/putrajaya and then commute to work in KL.

Ok! Let me put it in this way. I stay in Cyberjaya. We are family of 3. Our monthly expense is around MYR 2800 max. For Mr Anh, it might be go max MYR 3000-3500. The rest will be saving. I am confident that even after tax deduction he will be able to save at least USD 2500.

Completely agree

Ragbhu123456 wrote:

I work in Cyberjaya. Do you stay in an apartment? I think that the cheapest rents are about RM2000/-, right?

Taxes are probably close to RM2000/- too.

If you buy food and cook at home, you'll still probably have to spend another RM1000/-.

A maid will cost RM 400 - RM 500/- if you ask for one to come by a couple of times  week.

If you don't go out much and as buses around here are easy to get, you can probably keep transportation to about RM200/-.

Electricity, water and phone at a minimum RM100?

All the above comes close to RM6000/- which means that you can save about RM6000/- or close to USD2000/-.

I'm assuming that your company will cover all your family's medical bills.

I don't see how you can save more than the above. The above assumes no luxuries, holidays, etc.

Ragbhu, does your company pay for your accomodation or is that included in your monthly expenses of MYR 2800? Where did I go wrong in my assumptions?

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments.
However, I'm a bit confused now...

Thanks

First 6 moths you're gonna have 8.8K nett pay, after that you will have roughly 10K nett pay. You will get back the additional taxes you paid the first 6 months when you declare your income tax the next year.

Fully furnished condo @ 2K is a bit too optimistic in my opinion, as well as a 1K food budget for 2 adults and one baby (baby food, diapers, etc). I would add at least 50% to these estimations.

The transportation budget of RM200 is ok as long as you can take public transportation to&from office, it will not include taxi fares if you need taxi to go and shop your groceries.

RM100 is not enough for electricty+phone+internet. RM200 more accurate.

Cleaning service 400-500 is ok, this is someone that will come and clean your place a few times a month. It's not your maid.

As i said before, saving 6K monthly is not gonna be IMPOSSIBLE, but it's not gonna be easy. Now you are already saving minimum (comparable) RM4500 monthly, I'm not sure it's worth to take the risk. All these estimations also exclude any kind of entertainment such as TV, holiday, ticket back to home country, insurance, medical bills, dentist, car, whatever.

Up to you in the end, but don't believe that "2800/month" bullsh-t because then you're gonna get very disappointed.

If you're employer offers you EPF that would be helpful in your quest to save 6K/month (however you cannot touch the money until you leave the country and they might request you to contribute as well).

Good luck whatever your choice may be :)

Hi Farm,

Thanks for your useful information.
I agree with you.

Sincerely,

Hi
Read all the comments by fellow members. If I was you, I wont take this offer due to the reasons as under:-
1. Cost of living in KL is way more than your present city.
2. For the first six months, you will get almost the same salary what you are getting right now. So why bother coming while staying there with your present employer might stand you a chance of promotion/increment.
3. Even after six months, you will have a nominal raise in you salary around 1000RM only. Do you really wanna come here and start afresh just for the sake of 1000RM extra per month and that too after six months of work?
My advice.. Stay where you are..!
Cheers..!