Help on making decision ASAP on choosing SG or Netherlands

Hi,

I'm from the Philippines and right now I work in Singapore as an Engineer in Semiconductor. Now, I have a job offer as a highly skilled worker in Nigmegen, Netherlands. Salaries between two countries are quite similar converted to peso (net salary). The cons I see in Singapore is that is not for longterm stay. Is Netherlands good for longterm stay? also for family and kids benefits?

The Pros in SG is that flights are cheaper going home 4-5 times a year can but in Netherands its far so I expect 1 per year.

I need your advice and I need to think about it on the weekends. Your feedback really helps on my decision. Thanks a lot.

-Russel

Hi,  kabayan.  Netherlands is beautiful country. However,  i dont know how the tax is in Singapore,  but in Netherlands almost 40 percent from your salary will be deducted. Aside from that everything you buy is taxed for 21 percent.  Health insurance is every yr.getting expensive,  without getting full free of charge medicine. Doctors dont take you seriously when you are sick. People are cold, they can't accept foreigners to be better that them, especially if you dont speak the language.

I knew one filipino who was sent to Holland from Philippines and at work hé was not happy coz hé can feel that his colleauges talk behind his back. An Iranian gynaecologist friend who works in Holland lower than her position. Coz they can't have her in  higher position. .they will take your pride, your sence of being,  and you will always be stressed there. The weather is always wet and cold. .. .. People dont know what respect means, if you have big dirty mouth,  you will be respected.if you are kind, they will use you.they will see you as naive, stupid. I lived in Nederland for 13 yrs. I migrated to other country where doctors, business men, professors respects me...just what i deserve. :-) Europe is not as good as before....

Hi Thanks for responding.

In my case the net salary is quite similar between SG and Netherlands so I don't have issue with that. After taxes for less than 10% for SG and 40% for Netherlands of course included is the 30% ruling for highly skilled worker in Netherland. Also if someone know about NXP semiconductor please respond. The only matters to me is the long term growth of family if I consider Netherlands.

Appreciate your feedback.

Its difficult to give some feedback and it depends all what you are seeking. What is for you and your family important?
What do you mean is the Netherlands good for a long term stay? In what terms you are thinking of?

I mean for settling down with family for long term 10 or 20 yrs..  I need to decide on Monday about this so I will tell the details. I will be receiving 3560 euro per month after taxes and after 30% tax ruling. Also 1 per/year 1000 euro for airfare ticket to the Philippines.

Right now I save around 100K/month pesos in Singapore. In Netherlands with euro downturn can I still save this figures?  Is this a good salary already in Netherlands?

Please honestly tell me.

Hi, this is more or less the expenses on a monthly basis.
mortgage................1000euro
Gasoline.............................1.89 euro per liter
Health insurance................ 300 Euro
(own risk)..............................350 euro
Electricity/gas...................... 240 euro
Water......................................10 euro
Food........................................500 euro
Cable/tv/internet....................54 euro
Miscellaneous....................... 200 euro
City tax (per yr)....................... 750 euro
This was my expenses from last year with my husband and one boy of 4 yrs old.
Your salary is good...you will also receive 1000 euro for one person airfare.  So if you are a family of four, you have to save at least 1200 euro per person for airfare if its in high season. But if you are in Singapore maybe you only have to spare 300 Euro more.
As far as i know,  if your working permit has expired you have to go back to your country,  unless you want to go tago ng tago, which is not a good option. If you are in Singapore,  i think you will save more money( for your 1000 sq house and lot) , and you can go to Philippines more often....

Your salary will be more than sufficient to live in the Netherlands.  Your job is in the south east of the Netherlands,  Nijmegen is a nice city.
Your expenses and savings depends very on your needs,  where you want to live,  in wich stores you want to shop et cetera,  et cetera.

I advice you to Google on Nijmegen to get more information about activities ( in and outdoor) for wife, kids or whole family, schooling, nature and so on. Compare this all to Singapore and then hopefully you make the right decision.

Good luck.

Hi Russel,
I like to believe our country is a good country for people all over the world. We have all nationalities living and working here. For families it is very healthy and we have a lot of outdooractivities, sports etc for individuals, families and kids. Schools are fine. Nijmegen is a nice town, also a lot of nice villages around it, so you can sort of live in the country and get to know people in the village. I'd say go for it. Family life in Holland is happy and healthy. Good luck to you and your family
JustinsMom

Family life are not happy and healthy . Maybe somebody but not all. I worked in a big pharmacy and everyday oxazepam and diazepam and omeprazol are  examples of medicines for stress that go out the door

Hi Justinsmom,

I just read your post and thanks for painting such a nice picture of the Netherlands. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and confirms our reasons for moving here!

Tanya

damn! 3560 euro per month after taxes is a cloud 9!
youll be earning higher than the middle class earners.

why not take the new venture of moving here? its once in a lifetime opportunity en as long as u be frugal enough on your spendings, surely you and your family would be able to have a decent life here.
check ind.nl about the migration possibilities. for sure the youlld find infos/answers there

cheers success for the endeavours!