Female Solo Traveler

Hello everyone!

I'm an expat living in Oman and also a female solo traveler wherever I go. I have been wanting to visit Morocco on leisure (Marrakech, Casablanca and Chefchaouen) and  planning for 2 weeks in August 2015 but I am hesitant due to the experience of other travelers I've been reading on the web (harassment to females and tourist traps) . Anyone who can assist me in getting around, I would be grateful to hear from you especially from my kabayans.

Thank you.

Hi, I have traveled to Marrakesh 5 times now and always alone. I have not had any problems with being hassled whilst there. Just make sure you stay somewhere safe and and keep your bag over your shoulder. Men will approach you but just walk away, preferably into a shop or cafe. I venture out most evenings and have not been harmed, wolf whistled at and spoken to many times - not bad actually for a 62yr old granny, so just look confident. The Moroccan people are so friendly and helpful. don't worry just enjoy it .
Peta

phoenixinuk wrote:

Hi, I have traveled to Marrakesh 5 times now and always alone. I have not had any problems with being hassled whilst there. Just make sure you stay somewhere safe and and keep your bag over your shoulder. Men will approach you but just walk away, preferably into a shop or cafe. I venture out most evenings and have not been harmed, wolf whistled at and spoken to many times - not bad actually for a 62yr old granny, so just look confident. The Moroccan people are so friendly and helpful. don't worry just enjoy it .
Peta

Thanks for your input Peta, I was alarmed by the experiences of other travelers which i read from the web, though some Moroccan ex-colleagues here in Oman advised me that it is safe. I  have to gather all my guts  :)

Hello,
As everywhere , you can meet good and bad persons, yes it's so normal also there is bad places and good places ..!
Yes it's sure that some guys could try to talk to you, .. but just be confident and if someone approach you just say  '' no '' spill out directly on his face, :):)
Wish you great trip
I agree with what phoenixinuk said,
best wishes.

hi sorry what is kabayan?
I spend lots of time here and dress respectful but as a blonde fairly attractive 50 year they can make your life hell
i have good moroccan friends at first and they are not like this but cannot be with me every day
if you sit in a cafe alone they pester you so i only go to cafe france and they look out for me. for food snack toubkal cheap and same
i stay at riad rhaba book via booking.com 13 euros bed breakfast n bathroom and take care and respect you
travel
plan your travel and accomodation in advance
i also had similar experience with stupid lying frenchmen married too ha
i love morocco and great 99% people
confidence is key. use your hand and look in eyes to say leave me alone
keep good credit on phone too and keep it safe as mine got stolen by scam in hotel
go henna cafe and cafe de livre in marrakech for  chance to make friends
good luck men in uk can be pains too just different style he he
x

Kabayan is her fellow compatriots (Filipino's).

Anyway, having had a quick glance at your profile, with the attitude you have, I think you will be fine over there. It's only a 2 weeks stay. Researching before you travel was a good idea, and now you know what to expect from the locals, and what to avoid. Unfortunately many go there without preparing, and get taken advantage of, as they believe everything that is told to them. As long as you keep your wits about you, I don't see a problem. Keep your belongings close to you as well!

XB23 wrote:

Kabayan is her fellow compatriots (Filipino's).

Anyway, having had a quick glance at your profile, with the attitude you have, I think you will be fine over there. It's only a 2 weeks stay. Researching before you travel was a good idea, and now you know what to expect from the locals, and what to avoid. Unfortunately many go there without preparing, and get taken advantage of, as they believe everything that is told to them. As long as you keep your wits about you, I don't see a problem. Keep your belongings close to you as well!

Thanks for the input, let me gather my wits and dig more, insha'Allah I could find a travel buddy, I really want to set my restless feet on the soil of this country.

Marathon49 wrote:

hi sorry what is kabayan?
I spend lots of time here and dress respectful but as a blonde fairly attractive 50 year they can make your life hell
i have good moroccan friends at first and they are not like this but cannot be with me every day
if you sit in a cafe alone they pester you so i only go to cafe france and they look out for me. for food snack toubkal cheap and same
i stay at riad rhaba book via booking.com 13 euros bed breakfast n bathroom and take care and respect you
travel
plan your travel and accomodation in advance
i also had similar experience with stupid lying frenchmen married too ha
i love morocco and great 99% people
confidence is key. use your hand and look in eyes to say leave me alone
keep good credit on phone too and keep it safe as mine got stolen by scam in hotel
go henna cafe and cafe de livre in marrakech for  chance to make friends
good luck men in uk can be pains too just different style he he
x

Thanks for the good tips, the accommodation is very good deal. I've been traveling alone though there are countries that i am hesitant to venture on my own. I've been living in Muslim countries (GCC) for more than a decade now and no issues, but outside GCC may be a different scenario. I still have few months to finalize my trip and do more research.

Abdo-sahraoui wrote:

Hello,
As everywhere , you can meet good and bad persons, yes it's so normal also there is bad places and good places ..!
Yes it's sure that some guys could try to talk to you, .. but just be confident and if someone approach you just say  '' no '' spill out directly on his face, :):)
Wish you great trip
best wishes.

thanks for the advice, insha'Allah everything goes well.

hexebella wrote:

Thanks for the input, let me gather my wits and dig more, insha'Allah I could find a travel buddy, I really want to set my restless feet on the soil of this country.

You're welcome. Anyway judging from the number of posts, you're a regular, so I'm not sure whether to mention this option or not, but will. If you haven't used the network tab (https://www.expat.com/en/network/africa/morocco/), I guess you can give it a shot. You can find Filipino's based in the locations you intend to travel to. Then Add to contact/send message, and hopefully arrange something with them/get their advice. As I doubt many of them would of seen this thread or see it in the future.

Good luck.

XB23 wrote:
hexebella wrote:

You're welcome. Anyway judging from the number of posts, you're a regular, so I'm not sure whether to mention this option or not, but will. If you haven't used the network tab (https://www.expat.com/en/network/africa/morocco/), I guess you can give it a shot. You can find Filipino's based in the locations you intend to travel to. Then Add to contact/send message, and hopefully arrange something with them/get their advice. As I doubt many of them would of seen this thread or see it in the future.

Good luck.

Thanks again XB23. I was wondering why no Filipino is responding on my post. Actually I'm one of the organizers of networking here in Muscat, but in my groups I'm the only Filipino :/  I think my countrymen do not receive my vibes :sosad:

I'm considering 2 destinations but Morocco has been in my bucket list for long time and never happened yet though my location is halfway in comparison to my home country.

rasan wrote:

Hello, I don't see any harm or danger on you to travel alone to Morocco.People here are nice and helpful,well this doesn't mean that there are no crimes.Just one need to be careful .Good luck in your trip and enjoy yourself.

Thanks Rasan for the advice, will gather more info, got enough time for  planning.

hexebella wrote:
XB23 wrote:
hexebella wrote:

Good luck.

Thanks again XB23. I was wondering why no Filipino is responding on my post. Actually I'm one of the organizers of networking here in Muscat, but in my groups I'm the only Filipino :/  I think my countrymen do not receive my vibes :sosad:

I'm considering 2 destinations but Morocco has been in my bucket list for long time and never happened yet though my location is halfway in comparison to my home country.

Lol. I think it's to do with the fact Morocco is a country where foreigners find it very difficult to find work (national preference combined with high unemployment), so have to work exceptionally hard to survive there. As such, I guess they have little to no opportunities to check out what's going on over here.

Btw, I assume you speak Arabic?

Salam & hello,

I first went to Maroc by myself and ended up living there for 5mths as well as returning then next year for another 5mths.  I'd be happy to give you some tips that will make your experience much more enjoyable.

Note that it will be very hot in Aug.  Not exactly the best time to visit, unless you love the heat!

The 1st advice i'd give you is dress modestly:  it'll be hot in Aug, but if you wear a light cotton fabric you'll save your skin from the sun and the eyes of men who ogle.  Short sleeves would be okay and pants / skirt to your knees.  Tanktops tag you as a tourist.

2ndly, as you look around at all the wonderous sights, try to look at them as they are ahead of you and not as you pass a particular booth (unless you plan on stopping longer to look).

3rd - Don't be afraid to ignore men as they try to engage you - and they will ... it's their business and livelihood.  If they don't, then next shopkeeper will.  IT IS NOT RUDE TO IGNORE THEM.  It's what any local woman would do.  Just act as if you don't realize they're trying to engage.  The moment you say "no thanks" or smile or look them in the eye, they have you and will continue with more questions or possibly join you in your walk.  Some can be relentless.  IF this happens, head for a cafe and make it obvious to the waiter that you are not with this person.

Don't wander off into areas that may be hard to return from.  If you get lost, you will most likely have to pay someone to show you the way back (another regular job for the locals - especially the young men).  If you do get lost, first ask a shopkeeper.

Words to learn that may be helpful:
Shokran - thank you
Lla shokran - no thank you
Lla - no
Lla lla lla ... - no many times over
Salam - peace
Alikoum Salam - the response to Salam ou Alikoum

Hope that helps.

Hello and welcome in Rabat too...you will like  be sure

XB23 wrote:
hexebella wrote:
XB23 wrote:

Good luck.

Lol. I think it's to do with the fact Morocco is a country where foreigners find it very difficult to find work (national preference combined with high unemployment), so have to work exceptionally hard to survive there. As such, I guess they have little to no opportunities to check out what's going on over here.

I am not looking for a job in Morocco, I am employed and having a good job in the hospitality industry in Oman. I speak a little bit of arabic, swey swey...I have been in the gulf region since 2002 and in Oman since 2004.

darlenYa wrote:

Salam & hello,

I first went to Maroc by myself and ended up living there for 5mths as well as returning then next year for another 5mths.  I'd be happy to give you some tips that will make your experience much more enjoyable.

Note that it will be very hot in Aug.  Not exactly the best time to visit, unless you love the heat!

The 1st advice i'd give you is dress modestly:  it'll be hot in Aug, but if you wear a light cotton fabric you'll save your skin from the sun and the eyes of men who ogle.  Short sleeves would be okay and pants / skirt to your knees.  Tanktops tag you as a tourist.

2ndly, as you look around at all the wonderous sights, try to look at them as they are ahead of you and not as you pass a particular booth (unless you plan on stopping longer to look).

3rd - Don't be afraid to ignore men as they try to engage you - and they will ... it's their business and livelihood.  If they don't, then next shopkeeper will.  IT IS NOT RUDE TO IGNORE THEM.  It's what any local woman would do.  Just act as if you don't realize they're trying to engage.  The moment you say "no thanks" or smile or look them in the eye, they have you and will continue with more questions or possibly join you in your walk.  Some can be relentless.  IF this happens, head for a cafe and make it obvious to the waiter that you are not with this person.

Don't wander off into areas that may be hard to return from.  If you get lost, you will most likely have to pay someone to show you the way back (another regular job for the locals - especially the young men).  If you do get lost, first ask a shopkeeper.

Words to learn that may be helpful:
Shokran - thank you
Lla shokran - no thank you
Lla - no
Lla lla lla ... - no many times over
Salam - peace
Alikoum Salam - the response to Salam ou Alikoum

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the detailed tips. I speak a little arabic as i  have been living in the gulf region from 2002 and currently I am in Oman.

If it will be that hot in august, I might change destination then, but  i think Muscat must be hotter. I visited Jordan in Aug 2014 and so far I was able to survive the heat. Now I am looking at 2 other destinations, let's see insha'Allah this trip will be fun.

hexebella wrote:
XB23 wrote:
hexebella wrote:

I am not looking for a job in Morocco, I am employed and having a good job in the hospitality industry in Oman. I speak a little bit of arabic, swey swey...I have been in the gulf region since 2002 and in Oman since 2004.

Actually that comment from me was about why the Filipino's probably haven't read your post - "I was wondering why no Filipino is responding on my post". It wasn't about you looking for work or anything like that. I was basically suggesting they are probably too busy, as you have to work hard in Morocco to survive, especially as a foreigner, and as such probably don't have the opportunity to check this forum.

Anyway, that little bit of Arabic is enough. And I agree with the advice to ignore people. That was the most unpleasant thing for me about Morocco. Not being left alone. I live in London, where people don't dare to approach you (unless looking for a punch). So it was out of my comfort zone to have people regularly come up to me. Depending on your personality, you might not like it.

XB23 wrote:
hexebella wrote:
XB23 wrote:

Actually that comment from me was about why the Filipino's probably haven't read your post - "I was wondering why no Filipino is responding on my post". It wasn't about you looking for work or anything like that. I was basically suggesting they are probably too busy, as you have to work hard in Morocco to survive, especially as a foreigner, and as such probably don't have the opportunity to check this forum.

Anyway, that little bit of Arabic is enough. And I agree with the advice to ignore people. That was the most unpleasant thing for me about Morocco. Not being left alone. I live in London, where people don't dare to approach you (unless looking for a punch). So it was out of my comfort zone to have people regularly come up to me. Depending on your personality, you might not like it.

Ooòoook....thanks for the clarification.
I traveled to different countries alone and was perfect. I recently met a Moroccan 2 days back also in the hospitality industry but already a naturalized omani, his words went like this "you will be harassed by boys so better to take someone with you." Uhhhh oh!

Abdo-sahraoui wrote:

Hello,
Wish you great trip
best wishes.

Thanks for the advice Abdo, at this time it's 50/50 chances that i will push through. I think its better to travel with a companion.

hexebella wrote:
XB23 wrote:
hexebella wrote:

Ooòoook....thanks for the clarification.
I traveled to different countries alone and was perfect. I recently met a Moroccan 2 days back also in the hospitality industry but already a naturalized omani, his words went like this "you will be harassed by boys so better to take someone with you." Uhhhh oh!

Many women travel alone, and do fine, by ignoring the harassment. Even I as a male was constantly harassed. It's not pleasant, and if you're able to put up with it, and accept that it's something normal there, you will have a trouble-free trip. Going with someone won't stop the harassment. It might lessen it, but it will still be there. I've been to the places you mentioned on your first post, and I believe you won't have problems, apart from the usual ones every tourist faces. Just ensure you keep your expensive belongings close to you, and take the usual precautions when visiting any developing country. It's only a 2-week trip.

As a solo woman traveler, I had done a great deal of research before making the reservation with Marvelous Morocco Tours, The planning of my trip was made easy by Iddir, and I booked 4 Days 3 Nights Marrakech Desert Tour.

Iddir showed me a country of beautiful, varied landscape. He gave me much information about the history, culture, and religion. He provided opportunities for me to visit villages, nomad caves, and interact with local people.
Iddir was patient respectful with my many questions and answered all of my emails promptly. He is an excellent driver, knows the roads well, knows exactly where he is going, and always looked after me, concerned for my well-being and comfort.

I highly recommend Iddir and his Marvelous Morocco Tours. See and experience for yourself : ( marvelous-moroccotours.com )