New to Budapest!

I have just moved to Budapest to work for 6mths and i have no idea what to do with my time. Could anyone tell me if there are expat meetings? or any night schools that offer courses in English? iv only been here one week and i am getting pretty bored!

Hillary

My standard question is: What would you do in your free time at home? :-)
You are likely to find the same opportunities in Budapest, it just takes a bit more searching. But we are here for that, if you can come up with anything specific :-)

Being Irish would make you quite popular and even more warmly welcome than usual at the Irish folk music concerts/dances if you are into that at all.

During my free time at home i would be in the pub... i am Irish, that's what we do after all! But i am interested in seeing live music (i love Irish trad) i enjoy anything to do with politics also. I lived in the Netherlands last year and would like to continue learning Dutch if anyone knows where i could find Dutch classes? basically i am open to anything that would give me the chance to meet people or learn a new skill. i do however, hate sports and would not like to join any sports team! I only speak Gaeilge, English and a small bit of Dutch so i am limited in that respect.

Welcome to Expat-blog, Hillarywaldron! :)

For Dutch classes, you should post an advert under Budapest classifieds by selecting the community category- Classes- Language classes. Classifieds is specially designed for that.

Regards,
Sheetul

It might help.

Regards,
Sheetul

hillarywaldron wrote:

... a small bit of Dutch so i am limited in that respect.

Welkom in Budapest.

Well, Irish pubs are a blast everywhere in Europe (never been to any in Budapest though :-) )
Google is our friend:
http://www.google.com/search?q=irish+pub+budapest

The map looks promising :-)
It's only going to be odd the first occasion going alone (careful with the drinking and you'll be safe), you'll be welcomed by friends starting from the second time.
Or you could try to round up some company here.

Dances are even less odd and 100% safe to go alone to:

I used to dance at the Bran concerts. They have a unique atmosphere, which is totally different from the rough-tough-burly Irish stereotype: friendly, calm, peaceful, no drinking or smoking inside, you still sweat like a horse by the end and your muscles get sore for days :-)

http://www.bran.hu/bran/en/programs
Next occasion: 16. October, Saturday 17:00 Bran Klub
@: Jókai Klub; Bp., Hollós street 5.
concert is "koncert" (duh), where you also get to dance is "táncház".

Last time I went was before my first kid was born, bloody hell, that's almost 10 years now! I'm getting nostalgic so you might be able to convince me to go see them again with you :-)
Anyone else joining perhaps?

There's a more famous band, with a bit of infusion of Hungarian folk music:
http://www.mez.hu/

Stupid all-flash website won't let me copy stuff, next occasion is 17th October, under "turneinfo". Entry fee is "belépés" or "belépő", free is "ingyenes".

Have fun!