Motawa Time (Extreme)

Once again, Panorama Mall on Takhassusi Rd.
Went with a friend of mine, and his wife.

We're sitting in the food court. Motawa comes to us, talks normally trying to get our attention, I ignore him, so he goes to my friend who looks at him. Then the M proceeds.

M: Can I bother you for a minute?
F(riend): Yes, sure (gets up)
M: Who is that lady with you?
F: My wife
M: OK, and who is the other lady?
F: My friends wife
M: OK, well it is not allowed to see each others wives.
F: Are you serious?
M: Yes, it's better if you aren't here when we come back. Otherwise we're pressing charges.

My buddy comes back, tells me, I laugh. Thinking he's joking.
I get up to talk to them but they're a distance away and my wife says to just leave them.

I find a security guard and ask him where the Administration office is. I go, find the manager, tell him what the hell just happened and inform him that we, as well as everyone else we know aren't ever stepping into this place until they fix this bullshit of a problem.

He apologizes, explains that shouldn't happen and he'll inform them to know their boundaries from now on. I already told my buddy that we're going again next week, and I'm gonna be the one to talk to those pricks.

Like I said, no set of rules. But they make them up as they go.

It's not gonna change, whether you do the talk or your buddy, and never insult these good people, because, if you don't like the way it is here, then, why did you come here in the first place?

That basically sux , but do hope things dont get outta hand!
it never happend to me before though even though im Saudi and i meet up with my friends and their wives.
anywhoos that mall seems to suck so just ditch it , if god blessed our country with something Id say its Malls! tons of'em!

Ramon,

That is a bit hostile and unhospitable. Arabs (Saudi's) are known for thier hospitality so try to be more constructive, for this leaves a bad reflection on the rest of us.

Bhills

bhills2153 wrote:

Ramon,

That is a bit hostile and unhospitable. Arabs (Saudi's) are known for thier hospitality so try to be more constructive, for this leaves a bad reflection on the rest of us.

Bhills

Well said, bhills.

Ramon1990 wrote:

It's not gonna change, whether you do the talk or your buddy, and never insult these good people, because, if you don't like the way it is here, then, why did you come here in the first place?

My guess is that he came here to do a job that no local is qualified to do yet? So perhaps the locals (Muttawa) could be more accommodating to someone who has come here to help them develop their country and just wants to relax after work by enjoying the malls of Riyadh.

You are right to say not to insult people, as one of the main things about surviving in Riyadh is to remain calm and respectful, you will get more outcome?

That being said, there are rules which we must and do stick to. To keep changing these rules depending on the mood of the muttawa shows us much disrespect!!

Beezer I did not enjoy that story :(
Only reluctant now and now helpless as the move is final!
Why is it too much to ask for what we consider are normal surroundings ... sigh!
Why cant everybody live and let live? Why cant they atleast let the expats be.

Calm down, SF15.  The mutawa seem to go crazy during Ramadan.  It's the only time I ever had an issue with them (although, admittedly, I am not a mallrat).

Ramon1990 wrote:

Ramon, I see we all seem be getting off at the wrong foot with you. You are right, the Muttawas might be GREAT people but are you implying that the ex pat community is the opposite? Ie: 'bad' and what we do is 'wrong' hence we should be 'stopped'?

Nice one Beezer. Basic rule you get what you give to others..

Though i have never experienced any issues so far with any of the Mutawa's.

Anil

anil.soni wrote:

Nice one Beezer. Basic rule you get what you give to others..

Though i have never experienced any issues so far with any of the Mutawa's.

Anil

cause you cover your head :P 

lol

Ramon1990 wrote:

Buddy, you got ISSUES. Saudi Arabia rarely had any of their women covered 30 years ago. This is just a tribal ritual that has been carried down. That's it. It's not RELIGIOUS. Covering your face is not religious, otherwise why would they not force women to do that when they go to Omra and Hajj? Let me hear that one, that was gonna be my rebuttal to him.

Let it sink in a bit.

As for why I'm here. I really don't have to explain that to you. It'll only complicate things a little more for ya.

P.S. I don't have to insult anyone. It's already done on TV from what I hear all the time. I'm pretty sure a large portion knows that some of this is just WRONG. This face covering is over the limit and I'm sure if we stayed the only thing they would've done is what...handed us over to the cops. Who then said "what did you do?" Oh....I was out in the mall and I had seen my friends wife, while HE was with her. Maybe if she was alone, or maybe if she didn't cover up, or maybe if she was all dolled up with mascara and the sort. But seriously, just like that.

Please, I've seen girls covered up here with so much mascara on that it's pretty much sinful just lookin' at them.

You need to step out of the box. SF, don't worry about it. In every country there's the HERO that wants to stand out. We just met him last night. I do appreciate how he was professional about it.

The problem about visiting other malls. That's the only place that has Churro's. My wife is Venezuelan (and so is my buddy and his wife). So they kind of appreciate them. (it's a Spanish Doughnut for those who don't know).

And if this is only in Ramadan then they should step it up to the traffic. From what I know, being a prick while driving, endangering others and yourself on PURPOSE is pretty much breaking your fast. So I'd say 90% of the drivers aren't fasting. It's not only stopping yourself from eating.

That is my rant :p

SF15 wrote:
Ramon1990 wrote:

Ramon, I see we all seem be getting off at the wrong foot with you. You are right, the Muttawas might be GREAT people but are you implying that the ex pat community is the opposite? Ie: 'bad' and what we do is 'wrong' hence we should be 'stopped'?

The thing is, SF15, Ramon1990 would rather be defensive than open to seeing things though the eyes of others.  Could be due to his youth and inexperience--hopefully he'll someday travel and his view of the world will grow.

Twin trolls. Its good to have them on the same thread at the same time - showtime.

Alliecat wrote:

cause you cover your head :P

lol

Nothing like that dear, but none ever bothered me or else i would have definitely reacted like beezer did or may be worse than that.....

Anil

Well, found out they have Churro's at Hayat Mall.
That'll be the new location, but parking there is horrible. :(

I do not understand? If both women where covered and both women where with there husbands why is this a problem? This is not ok?

Our wives had only covered their hair. Not their faces.

:/

The basis for any person engaged in counseling, propagating virtue and dispelling vice, is ETHICS, MANNERS, & DISCIPLINE.

Physician, heal thyself!

how Motawa deal with people and Namaz observation. :) there are stores in India that they arrest people who are not observing Namaz, or seen in places other than masjids.

Sharjah Rock Stars lose their locks...

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/gener … p-1.667119

Hi,
I've been reading the motawa posts with interest. I've only come across them 3 times so far and every time they have been young-ish and very polite. They will ask if you could kindly cover all of your hair ou of respect to the culture of Saudi society. Note that they make no mention of religion!!
Not that I want to be screamed at but it would be interesting to see the nasty ones in action just once :)

Zara

It's happened to me twice (during the same shopping trip), last year during Ramadan.

The first was a screaming madman, who somewhat resembled Charlie Manson (I kid you not).

The second was polite, rational and spoke good English.

Ramon1990 wrote:

That's the way you should talk to the people who come to your country. I ve heared Saudi Arabian takes care of their guests in a very kind way. Is that the style other people talk to you when you visit their country. It is not expatriates who come here; it is you who invite them to work for you. You call expatriate engineers to build buildings and bridges for you. You call expatriate medical doctors to do cure of you becuase you have shortage of doctors. You call them to fix your cars and clean your streets.

It is you who are needy and when they come to you, you insult them becuase you feel you are superior. This land doesn't belong to you, it belongs to lord. You try to be nice people, probabaly nice Muslims and you forgot the quran who says...

Go any where on the land of Allah, live and eat but don't make troubles. (This is not word by word translation, but meaning of the aya)

It's odd some Muslims take parts of Islam, and just ignore others'.

Pleasure to meet you, mirzayasir4. :)

Ramon,

Beezer,u have given me reason to be more careful because i m just not insult proof and can't even it as normal as Allie do.I am usually found outside with our male family friends and we have never encountered Mutwas...There is one small market named "Shola" This is considered to be one of fav market for them and they usually give hard time to shopkeepers and people around but to avoid them i cover my head properly and this is true,they never asked me to cover my face.
I want to argue them if it happens to me but my hubby is too coward for this act ,he might dragged me away if he got to know my intentions....when I m cool i m good but when I am mad that's too bad....I just never bother for the consequences.
Yeah i must confess when me and my mom r out with our male family friends,it does scare me because i know the mentality of these *Beep* and the worse part,mom dun look too old nor she act like.. so it usually seems we r out for a date   :lol::lol::lol::cheers:

haha, well I was explaining what happened to us at a dinner yesterday night and this couple told of us of this incident that just happened at Kingdom Mall I guess.

There was a Philippino British citizen who wasn't covering her hair. So they told her to cover it up in English and she brushed them off, they told her again (they were making a scene) and she then responded "I'm British, I won't" and well, all hell break loose. They grabbed her hair, started beating her physically and then dragged her off. In the paper the following day, there was an article about the incident and how she'll be arrested for 3 days and than deported and not even the embassy can save her.

After hearing that...well...I think, damn...guess it's time to make this compound (home) a bit more interesting. At least I can do what I want in here.

Ramon1990 wrote:

It's odd some Muslims take parts of Islam, and just ignore others'.

Pleasure to meet you, mirzayasir4. :)

Ramon,

Same here....

beezer wrote:

haha, well I was explaining what happened to us at a dinner yesterday night and this couple told of us of this incident that just happened at Kingdom Mall I guess.

There was a Philippino British citizen who wasn't covering her hair. So they told her to cover it up in English and she brushed them off, they told her again (they were making a scene) and she then responded "I'm British, I won't" and well, all hell break loose. They grabbed her hair, started beating her physically and then dragged her off. In the paper the following day, there was an article about the incident and how she'll be arrested for 3 days and than deported and not even the embassy can save her.

After hearing that...well...I think, damn...guess it's time to make this compound (home) a bit more interesting. At least I can do what I want in here.

heinnnnnnnnnn     :o:o:o

beezer wrote:

What newspaper was this in?  I tried to find it but couldn't.  Do you have a link?  Because this reeks of 'urban myth.'

Hey Alliecat, I'll give him a call tomorrow and ask him. But this wasn't something that happened this week. It happened a bit ago, but I'll ask him just the same. His wife was with him when he said it, and she's the one that said that the article (and several others) were in the paper.

I'll find out tomorrow. It does sound like a urban myth thing no doubt. But his wife played along and seemed pretty convincing. I do remember them screaming at one in Granada a while back, but she listened and covered up.

Anyway, until tomorrow.

Okay, I have this theory:  stories / rumors like this are begun and perpetuated by mutawa or mutawa types  in order to keep people in line.  If we live in fear, we police ourselves.  Saves them a lot of work.

great post beezer , really enjoyed reading it:)

Ramon1990 wrote:

That's the way it is Ramon, simple and true. My wife has never been asked to cover her face, she has been asked a few times to cover her head and has done so with no protest or attitude. This is the way it is in Saudia and we should all respect that.

lol guys no body ever encoutnered a Motawa asking him to cut his long hair????????????????????????????
it hapened to my friend once ^

Yes,actually it happened to a friend of mine.He is 19 and like a lil bro of mine and used to love his long wavy hair.He encountered with Mutawas several times was beaten by them and twice they cut his hair(thx God,they didn't shave his head)and next day he had a performance in DQ.He cried a lot on his loss but according to him the saddest part wasn't when he got beaten,he was more upset when they grabbed him and cut his hair brutally.:(

Its very disrespectful,I hve no clue how does it denies Islam.:mad:

Sometimes impotent, small minded people are able to secure a position where they can wield some power.  Due to their own shortcomings and insecurities, they abuse this power by being ignorant, abusive bullies.

Heres a great true story on long hair.

Our 13 year old grandson started to grow his hair long and one of his British Home Room teachers puled him up for it ad took him to the Principal. The young man, smart as he is (Grandpas genes of course) explained to the Head that the Prophet also had long hair. The principal agreed and took the side of the brat and the poor "Taliban" teacher had to get back to class like a mouse.

Now you may ask how my grandson knew about how the prophet grew his hair? It is what is taught to him at school during the Islamic Education period!

He didnt wear  pony tail...

This has been such an interesting read - thanks for the diferent interpretations.  I only had one incident in a Mall where I did not have my hair covered (my scarf was in my bag with me) but I pretended I did not understand the Matawa and as they don't look directly at woman when they address you, they got frustrated and picked on a group of westerners coming up behind me.  I wasn't dis-respectful or aggressive, I just shrugged very apologetically!