Driving licence in romania

Hi my name is Angela

Just moved to Romania I have a full EU driving licence and need to change the address from my UK address to my new Romanian one how do I do this, living Buzau at present can anyone help ?

Angela :(

I continued to use my UK driving licence until it expired without changing the address and never had any problems. When you renew it, though, you're supposed to exchange it for a Romanian one, which is what I did last year.

Technically, if your licence was issued by DVLA, and you are no longer a resident of the UK, you can't get a new UK licence (unless you pretend to still be resident in the UK, but then that won't get your Romanian address on the licence, obviously). It is valid here until its expiry date, however.

If you did want to exchange it for a Romanian licence with your Romanian address, it's dealt with by the police (here in Bucharest) so I suppose you should inquire at the local police station and they'll point you to the department that deals with licences.

Maykal

Thanks for your assitance, I asume  that if I keep my licence as it is utill expiry then renew for a Romanian one that it will not affect our insurance in Romania.

Angela  :top:

Hi Angela,

Hmm, best check with the insurance company. I don't own a car; I only rent or borrow when I need one, so don't have to worry about that. As I understand it, though, in Romania it's the car that's insured rather than the driver. As long as you have a valid driving licence you can pretty much drive any insured car. But check it out just in case.

Hi Angela , here`s what you need to do :

politiarutiera.ro/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6258&Itemid=70

Good luck !

You may use your licence until it expires without any problems. It does not affect your insurance in any way. What Maykal says is correct, here the car is insured and not the driver.