Cell Providers -- do they work in other countries? Roaming rates?

Hi everyone,

I'll be living in Viet for several months but hope to keep traveling to other countries in the region. Are there any providers that work in other countries without expensive 'roaming' rates?

Thanks!

Buying a prepaid card is always the cheapest option in any country. In Cambodia you have to ask the hotel front desk to get you a SIM as Foreigners have restrictions on their purchase (like 'No').

Why  would you want to roam using a VN card if you don't live here?

I would have a card for my home country in a smartphone, putting it into flight mode when abroad. You can turn on wifi when available.

I would also have a cheap, dual sim thing - I use a small Samsung flip, and keep foreign cards in that.

The advantage of the Samsung is, you can turn off cards individually, so leave the cards in the phone over 3 countries.

Fred wrote:

The advantage of the Samsung is, you can turn off cards individually, so leave the cards in the phone over 3 countries.

The US ICE men and the UK Border Plods will appreciate that - all that data for downloading. People who have secrets are better off leaving their SIMs at home - really frustrates the nosy government types.

New Snowdon stuff shows the UK snoops were looking at journalists' mail (email, but I see no difference between that and the old East German secret police opening actual letters), all without warrants or reasonable cause.
However, they can look at my stuff all they like, and all they'll find is chats to my mum about her holiday, mundane rubbish in general, and nothing they can't google for themselves.
I do tweet the odd things that are political in nature, but hardly radical - except that bit about Tony Blair, his genitals, and the cheese wire.
If they want to waste time on that rubbish, they can for me.
I never mention my membership of ISIS anywhere the spooks can find it.

My advice remains - unless you happen to be a raving mad terrorist, or avoiding US taxes, I'd go for the second phone.
I like the Samsung Duos because I can turn the SIM cards off individually.

I like the ease with which you can change your IMEI on Samsung units. There's even an App.

As for bLIAR - I though he was like Goebbels - no (spheroids) at all.

Ahh sorry, I think I did not explain myself well. Do any telcos operate in multiple countries? Or is it a new SIM every country? Do some SIMs work in multiple countries without penalties?

Thanks!

VNese SIMs can roam. The charges are EXTREMELY HIGH. You need an account - not prepaid.

Viettel and Bee - both VNese - have operations in Cambodia. The military own the first, the VNese security ministry own the other!

Go with NEW SIM in every country - it's cheaper and easier. Roaming costs - no free rodes.