Re-configuring my ISP setting in order to open my FB?

Hi All,
or @ Jaitch &  @ laidbackfreak,

I just arrived to HCMC. I will be meeting my ISP technician from VNPT tomorrow in my apartment. Unfortunately at the moment I can't log on FB from my computer,  however I can logged on (for a minutes ) via my APPLE Facebook's app from my iPads & iPhone.

Is that possible or legal to ask the technician to re-configure the network setting in order to unblock the FB's server for me? If the answer is YES...Please advice. Thanks in advance.

P/S: I also upgrade the internet package from Mega Basic (2.560Kbps/512Kbps) to Mega Maxi ( 8.192Kbps/640 kbps).  Is VNPT a reliable ISP?

Kind regards,
YCL

I use VNPT for all services other than a satellite feed from HKG.

If you can, ask for a fibre optic feed - contact details below.

The ADSL 12 mbits service is a rip, go for the next lower service at around VND90,000 / month.

Chances are you won't be able to communicate with the technician as the usually only speak patchy English.

Make sure you get a Siemens modem, they actually work (better).

SMS this number to ascertain fibre optic service:

091-357-9878 E/m: [email protected]

Remember, if you choose a different speed at a lower rate than you have at present, there is a change fee. You avoid this fee by cancelling the service at the VNPT on Nguyen Du Street.

Two ladies: Trung and Hue both speak fluent English (and both are single!)

Two days after cancelling, go back and re-order the speed you want. This doesn't apply when switching to fibre optic.

I always pay accounts one month rate: i.e. I will pay for October service this week. Some crazy ISPs expect money before service!!

FB
All my lines are blocked for FB. Trash operation.

Still, if you want it, forget about the DNS re-write, use the Host file re-write option.

FB is longer blocked in Vietnam. If you do have problems accessing it you can always go to google translate and type in facebook.com, translate it it and click on the link.

Hi Jaitch,

Thanks for feedback!
Did you mean that I should ask for a fibre optic feed from VNPT, or from another ISP  company?
The apt building here are using VNPT and I do not believe that I can change the ISP company.
Btw, an English speaking employee from the management will be coming along together with the technician in order to help me  tomorrow. VNPT have already provided us  a TP-Link (ADSL2+,Ethernet/USB) ModemRouter.
When you wrote: ( Reg: FB- Forget about the DNS re-write, use the Host file re-write option.)  I am totally lost on that topic...Sorry that I am not so good in understanding when comes to technical stuff on internet..

Kind regards,
YCL

@ Parmyd,

Thanks! I will give that a try.

Kind regards,
YCL

@ Parmyd,

FYI, I am using Macbook.
Unfortunately It did not worked? Did you mean translate English to English or Vietnamese to English? The link refused to load any how :(
Thanks anyway!

YCL,

I just tried it with google translate and you are correct it does not work anymore. However, you should be able to access it directly. I just logged into my FB account no problem.

Hi Parmyd,

To my understanding from all the previous forum, it depends of which ISP you are using.
Apparently VNPT blocked mine. If it's legal, why are they still setting up a restriction?

Btw, Do you know which ISP are open for Facebook server in HCMC?, so that I can buy a sims card for my laptop to access it. Meanwhile I guess I have to drop by to my husband office to access FB.

YCL,

I am not sure about HCMC I live in Bien Hoa and use FPT. I do know that Viettel's 3g USB sticks will access FB also. I believe Viettel is owned by VNPT, although I am not 100% positive. Have you tried asking VNPT directly? Another option you have is to get a private VPN server. I do that also which allows me to stream NetFlix.

@ Parmyd,

The technician from VNPT is coming tomorrow along with an English speaking employee from the apt management. If is possible, I will ask him for help to configure the DNS setting.
Thanks!

If they wont set it for you, follow this guide :
http://macs.about.com/od/networking/qt/ … cs-dns.htm

The problem with editing your host file, is if they block the IP address in your host file your still locked out.
DNS method is simpler and more reliable.

laidbackfreak wrote:

If they wont set it for you, follow this guide:

VNPT often helps you sort out little problems - as long as you can communicate with the technician. Last time they came around to fix a fibre optic line problem I had to stop him messing with my IP options.

laidbackfreak wrote:

The problem with editing your host file, is if they block the IP address in your host file your still locked out.
DNS method is simpler and more reliable.

Incorrect: in my experience a HOST file script is way better than messing with DNS settings.

I often go up to China and DNS changes are useless whereas adding lines to the HOST file overcomes their endeavours to restrict users. It is the standard way, in China, of hopping the wall and if you check web sites their they have scripts for many of the web sites the Chinese government prefers people not watch.

I also obtained some software from the Munk Centre in the Universality of Toronto who supply, at no cost, various VPNs and other software to keep governments out of their communications.

YCL wrote:

...  I am totally lost on that topic...Sorry that I am not so good in understanding when comes to technical stuff on internet.

The HOST file is a Windows IP file. See: < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29 >. It 'MAPS' IP communications. It's purpose is redirecting requests intended for standard Web sites to other locations, sometimes illicitly.

Even Apple stuff has HOST files. See: < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29 >, < https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support … e-on-a-mac >.

IF YOU DO EDIT YOUR HOST FILE, copy the original file and rename the copy HOST.ORG and in this way you always have a 'clean' copy to resort to if you screw up.

You must use a basic, no frills, editor to edit the HOSTs file. Since we are a Windows shop, I am not familiar with the Apple equivalent of the Windows Notepad.

There fixed that for you....

Jaitch wrote:

in my experience a HOST file script is way better than messing with DNS settings.

Which means you need to edit the host files often...

DNS set it once and jobs done.... USE 1 google and 1 other TLD to get round google blocks....

1 time hit and works fine for me in China too :)

Occasionally I use Kproxy or another free VPN service or even shock horror use my private one.... but not often I need to use them.

laidbackfreak wrote:

Which means you need to edit the host files often...

DNS set it once and jobs done..

I only change HOSTs files when I travel out of the country. There is no need to make a job out of it, simply comment out the mapping you don't need.

DNS is very primitive compared to things you can do with HOSTs files.

Jaitch wrote:

DNS is very primitive compared to things you can do with HOSTs files.

They both essentially do the same thing, mapping names(domain or hosts) to IP addresses.

The only difference being the Host file is under your control as it's held locally on your PC. The DNS is under either your IT administrator and\or the ISP depending on where you are connected. (Work server or home ISP).

It's rare for anyone in a workplace to edit host files now, where as 10+years ago it was normal practice for IT departments to import a host file, as DNS was less common then. Host files were around before DNS due to the fact there was no internet to speak of.

A typical windows pc will first check to see if a name is itself, then check it's local host file, then check a DNS server and finally if that fails check Netbios, (if it's even installed!). Usually in that order, but can be modified though rarely is.

So to state DNS as primitive compared to host files, shows a lack of understanding of them both.

@ Jaitch & laidbackfreak,

Thank you so much for both of your valuable advice. I greatly respect both of your expertise!
Just wish that one day both of you can grab a beer down town together to sort out your differences:)
Cheers for now and have a good day!

YCL

YCL wrote:

@ Jaitch & laidbackfreak,

Thank you so much for both of your valuable advice. I greatly respect both of your expertise! YCL

Your welcome :)

YCL wrote:

Just wish that one day both of you can grab a beer down town together to sort out your differences:)
YCL

So do I, not that i think we have any real differences :D

But would love a pint or two with him someday...