3G / Internet

I will travel to HCMC for 2 weeks on next months.
I would like to know, is there any package suitable for me to use in short term?

Last trip to HCMC, I bought mobifone with 3G, but the quote to online limited, finish quote very fast.

sfchai wrote:

I will travel to HCMC for 2 weeks on next months.
I would like to know, is there any package suitable for me to use in short term?

Last trip to HCMC, I bought mobifone with 3G, but the quote to online limited, finish quote very fast.

For two weeks, the 3G USB stick is your best option.  You just need to buy more cards to add to your account.  Limit your downloads to text (versus watching movies or other high data transfers).  For movies and heavy downloading, go find an Internet Cafe. 

If you have a house that has cable television, then you can do the monthly subscription for Internet by your cable subscriber...I think around 400,000 VND per month.

Using 3G is a big headache now here, too expensive :D

charmavietnam wrote:

It depends on the plan.  I can use my iPad with 3G day in and day out and the balance barely every drops.  But THD is right, don't use it for software updates or movies, keep it for text.  Use the Lynx browser and you will never use up your balance

what is 3G USB stick? How much? which company?

charmavietnam wrote:

Cuz the "triad" just jacked the fees up 40%...after having ran any foreign-owned (Russian owned Beeline comes to mind) telecom competitors out of town. 

http://dtinews.vn/en/news/018/31599/mob … vices.html

sfchai wrote:

http://viettelonline.com/wp-content/uploads/3G-VT-300x200.jpg

USB antennas that links your computing device to the Internet.

Viettel, Mobifone, Vinaphone (the Triad) have them.  You buy a stick for about $40, then load it like you load a cellphone.  Buy a card, scratch it, enter the code...like a motorbike needing gas to run it, the 3G USB stick needs you to keep loading it with funds in order to run on the "Information Superhighway".

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
sfchai wrote:

http://viettelonline.com/wp-content/upl … 00x200.jpg

USB antennas to link your wireless device to the Internet.

Viettel, Mobifone, Vinaphone (the Triad) have them.

Do need to register with Viettel, Mobifone or Vinaphone not?
Foreigner can make it?

Do you know how much for how many Gb quota ?

sfchai wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:
sfchai wrote:

http://viettelonline.com/wp-content/upl … 00x200.jpg

USB antennas to link your wireless device to the Internet.

Viettel, Mobifone, Vinaphone (the Triad) have them.

Do need to register with Viettel, Mobifone or Vinaphone not?
Foreigner can make it?

Do you know how much for how many Gb quota ?

You need to register the SIM card that goes into the 3G USB stick.  So when you start blogging anti-government propaganda, they know how to find you.  Foreigners can use it.  What Gb quota?  Download/upload is dependent on how much money you put in your account. 

So test it...buy a 50,000 VND card, put it in your account, and try to watch a movie...see how fast your account drops.

Note: not all of these have drivers for non-Windows machines

Do need to pay deposit?

what is non-windows machine?

sfchai wrote:

Do need to pay deposit?

Yes, you pay a deposit of $2 Million.....to me  :lol: .  Seriously, no, and it's not that complicated.  Why don't you wait until you get here to try it instead of asking a ton of questions that just makes you more concerned.

sfchai wrote:

It's a machine that makes doors...like this one.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/768/167/379/379167768_778.JPG

They are swimming in Cambodia now :D

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Cuz the "triad" just jacked the fees up 40%...after having ran any foreign-owned (Russian owned Beeline comes to mind) telecom competitors out of town.

Be a good guy :D

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
sfchai wrote:

It's a machine that makes doors...like this one.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/768/167/ … 68_778.JPG

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
sfchai wrote:

Do need to pay deposit?

Yes, you pay a deposit of $2 Million.....to me  :lol: .  Seriously, no, and it's not that complicated.  Why don't you wait until you get here to try it instead of asking a ton of questions that just makes you more concerned.

As i mentioned above, my last trip used mobifone, reload VND 50000 and finish quota in few hours. No watch youtube, no download anything. Just wechat, whatsapp & fb a while.

sfchai wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:
sfchai wrote:

Do need to pay deposit?

As i mentioned above, my last trip used mobifone, reload VND 50000 and finish quota in few hours. No watch youtube, no download anything. Just wechat, whatsapp & fb a while.

Ah..well, it's because Fartbook ate all your money.  You might need to wait for a promotion day where you get +25-50% more bang for your buck.  Then buy like 500,000 VND worth of cards (your account gets credited like 750,000 VND).  Make sure the seller gives you candy as a bonus to buying that much (the good sellers will discount you or kick-back like 10,000 VND if you buy 500,000 VND worth of cards).

"cards" are these (aha!  I answered your question, "What is a card?" before you even asked! :P ):

http://image.ec21.com/image/viethaban/oimg_GC04457150_CA04466040/Prepaid_Card_Scratch_Card.jpg

sfchai wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:
sfchai wrote:

Do need to pay deposit?

I just use a cheap Smart Phone for 2mil, ( Q Smart S13, GPS, etc, you could probably still use this in USA etc, it has 2 simcards ), I load up to 3GB's for 200,000.  I mainly use it as a wifi hotspot for my laptop, however,  some phones and some phone companies won't let you do this, but Vinaphone ( AKA VNPT ), does.

I have a little white "pocket router" that takes a SIM and serves up WiFi.  It will also work as a USB adaptor, only problem is there is no way to add to the SIM, you have to move it to a phone to do that.

When you come to Vietnam, you should buy a Vietnamese pre-paid sim-card, and then you should apply for 3G pack with the operator. After that you can use 3G anywhere.

Guys, 3G Vietnam is one of the cheapest 3G cost in the world. So, no need to worry too much. Here is things that you need to do:
1. Buy a simcard (Mobifone, Vinaphone, Viettel....) cost around 50,ooo VND (you will have 100,000 VND in your account. Press *101# to check it)
2. Next, ask the service dealer to activate the sim for you (they may need your passport - just give them a copy version)
3. Choose 3G plan that you prefer. And ask the service dealer to register that plan for you
4. Done !

Note: 3G should be used for newspaper, facebook, email.... purpose. Don't use it for movie, games, software update or things that require huge data download.

I just did the *101# on my so called smart phone and got this:

MobiQ. TCK:2551252 d,
20/01/2014
KM2 63171 d.
KM3 1732441 d.

Is that top line my total balance?

Budman1 wrote:

20/01/2014
KM2 63171 d.
KM3 1732441 d.

If I remember correctly the top line is your regular balance and the KM2 and KM3 are your promotional balances. You will use up KM2 first then KM3 and then finally start on your regular balance. So your balance should be a total of all 3.

what about using 3G for stock trading? Will it eat up lots of data? And when will Vietnam have 4G if not already.

Ogiwara Kensuke wrote:

Note: 3G should be used for newspaper, facebook, email.... purpose. Don't use it for movie, games, software update or things that require huge data download.

khanh44 wrote:

what about using 3G for stock trading? Will it eat up lots of data? And when will Vietnam have 4G if not already.

There is a 3g code you can use that gives you unlimited 3g for about 50k vnd a month.

Parmyd wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

20/01/2014
KM2 63171 d.
KM3 1732441 d.

If I remember correctly the top line is your regular balance and the KM2 and KM3 are your promotional balances. You will use up KM2 first then KM3 and then finally start on your regular balance. So your balance should be a total of all 3.

Thanks Parmyd, if that's correct I'll be ok for awhile. I just bought this new phone and starting to use it like my PC.

Parmyd wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

There is a 3g code you can use that gives you unlimited 3g for about 50k vnd a month.

You have to watch some of them, after the first GB or so, they slow down to almost dial up speed, students have a special deal too, but I tried to get the step daughters phone set up, she had to name 10 friends you are constantly in phone contact with, ( she studies, not into Fakebook, etc ).
   VN Mobile has a 3GB for about 120????  Vinaphone and Vietel will only give you 1.6 GB for that now.

Budman1 wrote:
Parmyd wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

20/01/2014
KM2 63171 d.
KM3 1732441 d.

Thanks Parmyd, if that's correct I'll be ok for awhile. I just bought this new phone and starting to use it like my PC.

Budman1 wrote:
Parmyd wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

20/01/2014
KM2 63171 d.
KM3 1732441 d.

Who are you with Budman?,   if you are with i.e, Vinaphone, and you don't have one of their M120, M200, etc, plans, I've heard of one sheila that was billed 1 mil VND for the month, it's like an open plan.  When my M120 runs out before the month is up, it makes a big whole in my credit.

Budman1 wrote:
Parmyd wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

20/01/2014
KM2 63171 d.
KM3 1732441 d.

So you're with MobiFone then.  TCK = main account.  When you buy a scratch card, it loads this amount into your main account.  DURING promotion days, you get a +50% that gets distributed to KM2 and KM3 at 25% each.

Non-promotion days, you just get the card at face value, to be loaded to your TCK account.  Nothing is added to your KM2/3 accounts.

So if you buy a 100,000 VND card, you will always load your TCK account with 100,000 VND.  ONLY on promotion days will you get the benefits of +25% or 25,000 VND to KM2 and 25,000 VND to KM3.

KM2 or KM3, I don't know which but if your buddy also has MobiFone, then it will use these accounts first.  If your buddy is OUT OF Network (like using Viettel), it will subtract from your main account.  Using in-network is cheaper than out of network .. MobiFone to MobiFone versus MobiFone to Viettel. 

The KM2/KM3 is useless for out of network. 

Lots of people carry multiple SIM cards so they can switch providers to take advantage of the in-network carriers.

bluenz wrote:

Who are you with Budman?,   if you are with i.e, Vinaphone, and you don't have one of their M120, M200, etc, plans, I've heard of one sheila that was billed 1 mil VND for the month, it's like an open plan.  When my M120 runs out before the month is up, it makes a big whole in my credit.

I'm sure he has a pre-paid account.  So he can't be billed.
Pre-pay is the way to go since you won't ever get any surprises in your "bill".

Yes your right THD, when they have the 50% promotion and I'm in Can Tho I go to a place I've been using for years and give them a few 100,000VND's and a bit more for my wife's phone and they put it on our phones. I get a few Dong back and the notifications on the phone starts right after I leave the place. A heck of allot cheaper here than in Japan, and you don't lose the  bonus credits after 30 days if their not used.

Budman1 wrote:

Yes your right THD, when they have the 50% promotion and I'm in Can Tho I go to a place I've been using for years and give them a few 100,000VND's and a bit more for my wife's phone and they put it on our phones. I get a few Dong back and the notifications on the phone starts right after I leave the place. A heck of allot cheaper here than in Japan, and you don't lose the  bonus credits after 30 days if their not used.

So you get a discount of a few thousand VNDs eh? Retailers should give you  2% if you spend at least 100,000 VND - better kick-back % if you buy the cards at wholesale from places like Big C.  Sometimes retailers will give you pieces of candy instead of the thousand đồng though.

The promotion system is a weird business practice since it just cannibalizes sales during non-promotion days.  People just wait for a promotion day to buy.

Parmyd wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

20/01/2014
KM2 63171 d.
KM3 1732441 d.

I would say:

TKC (not tck) = Tài Khoản Chính: main balance

KM2 = Khuyến Mãi 2: first promotion account (1)

KM3 = Khuyến Mãi 3: second promotion account (2)

As other posts have mentioned, (1) and (2) can get money during the "promotion period", so some people just wait until the promotion day for pop-up :-D

(1) may normally be called: tài khoản nội mạng (= internal line use only) meaning, when this account still have money, if you call or text the same service provider (same Mobifone in this case), the money in this account will be deducted;

(2) may normally be called: tài khoản ngoại mạng (= external line use) meaning, when this account still have money, if you call or text different service providers (Viettel, Vina, etc), the money in this account will be deducted.

The main balance will be deducted in several cases as follows:

(i) when the (1) and/or (2) out of money;

(ii) for 3G/GPRS services, or any other related services except for calling and texting;

(iii) during roaming period, etc.

This is what I understand but because I am not using Mobi, so, I'm not sure if it is 100% correct :)

Hi All,

sfchai wants to travel just 02 weeks but so many comments and discussion go up. It's nice in some way.

In my opinion, sfchai can do like this:
1. If you spend much time going online at homestay for watching videos, online music, facebook,.., it's best to find a rest place where people can offer ADSL for you.
When I registered for the first time from FPT service, it costed me 270,000 VND for initial installation. At the end of the first month, I paid percentage of daily usage (lumpsum 242,000 VND/month).
2. If you go out for travelling, your sim card can apply 3G/ GPRS service. By this way, you can use internet on your phone. It's good for text only (email checking also). The price is same as USB 3G device.
3. If you have laptop and work outside of your homestay, free wife is available at any coffee shop. If not, you can think of USB 3G device.

Enjoy your stay, sfchai.

Parmyd wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

This guys. This. This is what I use on my phone with an unregistered SIM card and I download several hundred MBs of podcasts, youtube, app downloads, facebook etc, unless there is something I'm missing.

Japantovietnam wrote:
Parmyd wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

This guys. This. This is what I use on my phone with an unregistered SIM card and I download several hundred MBs of podcasts, youtube, app downloads, facebook etc, unless there is something I'm missing.

The price is now 70,000. Text "DK MIU" to 999 (without the quotation marks, obviously). You might get a prompt back asking you to confirm, in that case you just text "Y" to the same number. Gets you 600Mb at full speed (passable by Western standards) and after you've gone through that it slows down to a crawl (thing modem speeds). Either suffer for the rest of the month of unsubscribe and subscribe again ("HUY MIU" to 999 then repeat the process above).

1.5Gb package (not unlimited): VND 120,000 ("DK M120")
3Gb + unlimited package: VND 200,000 ("DK BMIU")

Check your available data anytime by texting "CHECK DATA" to 999.

Also, Vietnam will no be getting LTE (aka 4G) until 2015 at the earliest, according to the Ministry of Information and Communications (read http://vietnamnews.vn/economy/241730/of … uency.html)

Moot point for most people, as wifi is available virtually everywhere in the city and the 3G, albeit slower here, costs a pittance compared to the West and gets the job done in a pinch (no, you don't need to watch HD videos of cats on Youtube while waiting for the bus).

ssuprnova wrote:

1.5Gb package (not unlimited): VND 120,000 ("DK M120")
3Gb + unlimited package: VND 200,000 ("DK BMIU")

Check your available data anytime by texting "CHECK DATA" to 999.

That is Vinaphone, ( Vietel same prices ).
Try Vietnamobile, 125,000 gets you 3 GB's
                    200,000 gets you 5Gb's
   Has anyone tried them yet?, they have a coverage map on the net.
  I'm still trying to find a sim card.