Moving to Jeddah

Hi guys,

I am soon to be based in Jeddah (hopefully, as another possibility is Riyadh), and it will be my first time ever to be  there. I don't have any friends or relatives there, and so I am quite anxious about moving to Jeddah.

I have less than 30 days to decide whether to push through with my transfer, as I am already accustomed to the "system" here in Khobar/Dammam.

Would anyone be kind to tell me what makes Jeddah a better place to choose over Khobar/Dammam? The things I have been considering are:

1. Transportation and volume of traffic
2. Cost of housing
3. Travel to Egypt
4. Food
5. Recreation - SCUBA diving
6. Shopping
7. Banking
8. Security

I would appreciate all your insights.

Cheers!

:top:

Hi

I am suppose to move to Jeddah in 2 months, even I don't have any one known to me in Jeddah can you please tell me how difficult to get

house (initially single after my VISA I will get my family)
school
medicals
cost of living
PLease help me with this info.....appreciated...

Hello Nommi,
Thank you for your response and offer to help.
Do you happen to know if there is any difference between the banking system in Jeddah and elsewhere in KSA?
Cheers  :)

All your concerns, you can find those here in jeddah.

makiboi90 wrote:

All your concerns, you can find those here in jeddah.

Yes, they are accessible. But I was looking into the experience.

Banking is the same.....traffic is HORRIBLE. taxis are supposedly going to start being metered in the next month, but a few owners are not going to enforce it.

Travel to Egypt is probably easy through the airport (but airport is gross). there are 2 Saudia/domestic & International. Believe there are multpile flights a day to Egypt but have never looked

Diving - look up Red Sea Divers.

Housing is expensive...depends where you are living compound or not & which district. My guess if this is a quick move you will be in a hotel for awhile as you figure out where you will live  Look for posts by Trapezius on housing....

Thank you, Stressedmom.
Do you have any favorite shopping malls in Jeddah, whether upscale or regular? I might be looking for some stuffs either from renowned brands or from a cheap market, depending on the budget and the need.  :D
Thanks again.

Jeddah has a lot of shopping malls. If you're looking for a cheap one, balad is there.

traditional malls : I use Red Sea Mall, Mall of Arabia most.....Also like Al Salam mall

Souks -Al Shatee for cheap or for wholesale housewares Hindewaya near Balad (though some places may make you buy in bulk.

Always check out Saco too