Relocation / Passport Strategies

Right...so now I have a contract of employment and my kids are in good schools :)...My employer is worrying about visa requirements blah blah...

My next question is how do I move my personal belongings out???

As we will get a fully furnished villa, we won't need our furniture, in the short term....( I assume we will ship favorites out at a later date if we decide to stay long term), but there are still personal items like photos, ornaments and obviously essentials like my sons.....X-Box!!

So here goes with the questions:
1. Does anyone know of some reliable shipping companies in the UK?
2. How long do I need to allow to ensure the goods arrive in time for our arrival at the end of August?
3. Should my employer be shouldering the cost of relocation - or am I being too demanding to ask that of them?
4. How much are you allowed to bring with you as a passenger?

Also, my kids and I have dual nationality (British and Italian). As we are coming from Britain, would it be best to use British passports...my kids only have Italian ones at the moment...do you think it would be a problem if they had Italian (European) and mine was British (European)?? Or shall I just use the Italians ones??

I heard it was illegal to bring 2 passports into Saudi - is this correct?

Thanks

Angela

Hi Angela,

For shipping I used these guys
http://www.anonscope.com/airfreight/riyadh.htm

My shippimg arrived in 4 weeks.

Regarding relocation, my employer provided us with:-
1. Reimbursement of shipping to Riyadh (in 2 shipments), maximum allowance they would pay for was 1500kg (I probably only used about 300 kg)

2. They are also paying directly for storage in the UK. (I have stored my furniture at a lock up - similar situation to yourself.)

We came on Saudi Airlines so the allowance we could bring with us was 30kg each. (it differs depending on airline).

My employer reimbursed me for the cost of the flights, visa, medical etc...

If your travelling on British Passport, please ensure children do like wise.... the guys at the airport speak minimal English..and will not comprehend why the children have different passports.

Also you  may wish to delay your arrival. August this year is going to coincide with Ramadan.
Ramadan will end on 29th August and therefore from 29th August to 5th September will be Eid Holidays - Official Holidays equivalent of Bank Holidays in the UK.
Its a time most expats leave for a short vacation.

Also I presume your going to located in Jeddah (we are Riyadh based), Jeddah airport will be very busy in August and early September as pilgrims also use Jeddah Airport. (Some 5 million pilgrims will use Jeddah airport in August/September)so you can imagine the delays you will be facing at the airport.

Anything else please do ask.

Thank you - SaudiUK

This is very helpful information....I will approach my employer regarding relocation expenses..

Angela

Hello Angela,

For your shipping, you can also contact our moving partner to Jeddah who will give you a free quote & lot of professional tips.

https://www.expat.com/en/movers/middle- … ia/jeddah/

Thank you Yud

I have requested a quotation from your partner

Angela

Hi Angela

Just to let you know.... If you join Saudi Airlines frequent flyer programme (Alfursan) you get an extra 10kg luggage.

Good luck

Amelia