With a student visa can I obtain Financial Aid from a University?

I am trying to come to Sydney for College and am wondering exactly how much this will cost me and if I will be able to survive on my own.  I saw that the average cost is about $13,000 per year and supposedly this includes some kind of living arrangement.  Is that true?  Whoever has experience with a student visa please fill me in.

Hi tryingtomakeit,

Check out the following link in regards to meeting the financial requirements to get a student visa in Australia according to the Australian Government's Dept. of Immigration and Citizenship website.

http://www.immi.gov.au/students/student … ancial.htm

In immi.gov.au website, you can find more information how to apply for a student visa and what requirements you need.

Thanks a lot for the info.  So if my calculations are correct I will need approximately $28,000 Australian dollars in the bank in order to meet the financial requirements?

What was posted in the website is the minimum amount that you must meet in order to be considered for the student visa. As a student visa holder, the website indicates that you are only allowed to work 20 hours a week. With that said, the Australian government will need to know you have money to support yourself since working 20 hours a week would not cover all expenses.

If you still have questions, contact the Australian Immigration dept directly. In regards to obtaining financial aid, contact the school you are interested in attending if they have information that they can provide to you.

Thanks a lot you've been a great help:)

I think so

Hi have been in melbourne on a student visa from the uk for 5 months, and basically you get no finacial help what so ever not even discount on the public transport. My course cost be $17,000 for 2years and thats only a diploma level. You have to pay for you private healthcare as you cannot get medicare and can work as much as you like out of term time and 20hr in term time.
hope that helps
lou