Regarding job opportunities for Public Health Physician in Canada

Hello Everyone  :)

I am Dr. Chiranjeev from India and I have newly joined this forum. I am a medical graduate and have done my masters in Public Health and current pursing my PhD. I have 5 years experience in working for National Public Health Programmes. After completion of my PhD, I intend to move to Canada and therefore, I would like to know about the job opportunities in Canada as per my qualification and experience.  Also I intend to know about the procedures for apply for the jobs.

Regards

Hi Chiranjeev,

I suggest you to read the following Guide which might be of great help for your job search:

Working in Canada

Please feel free to participate on the Canada forum if you need further information.

Regards,

David.

Since the practice of medicine is an activity regulated by the individual provinces you will not only need to have your foreign academic and professional credentials recognized, but you will also need to contact the Medical Association of the province in which you intend to reside and practice, and register with them.

For more information regarding the recognitions of foreign credentials see the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials website.   http://www.cicic.ca/415/credential-asse … ces.Canada

You should also visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website, fill out the online information and see if you qualify for a visa.   www.cic.gc.ca/english

Both Medical / Dental graduates from foreign trained universities (apart from US or Canada) needs to get re-certified to obtain the license to practise here in Canada.

According to this site, http://www.cicic.ca/en/professions.aspx … ;prof=3113
They have to undergo a 2-year qualifying program as mentioned in that site.
However they may be clear on other details like what kind of investment (fees) would be involved.

Although not related directly, here's another article that writes about how IMG (International Medical Grads) fare with regards to getting their license to practise in Canada. Apparently there's alot of $$ involve and the percentage of pass is not very high. http://healthydebate.ca/2014/06/topic/i … tes-canada
In that article it mentioned that of the 1500 that applied in Ontario in 2011, only 221 made it through.

The 2 year qualifying program is actually course work with a university that provides such a program. You'll have to go to whichever Uni in canada's website to find out if they have such a program.

On the other hand, you did mention you have a masters and currently undergoing PhD. As they are healthcare related, you could try your hands in getting jobs in other parts of the healthcare industry apart from actually practising it. Know that healthcare industry especially in the area of bioinformatics and medical informatics is a very popular thing right now here in Canada and is growing at an alarming rate. 2 of the most popular universities in Canada that offers medical informatics courses and works closely with the provincial hospital in that space are University of British Columbia and Dalhousie University. Both have had their courses running for a long time and therefore, there's a growing community of start-up companies that are establishing themselves in the medical informatics space in both Vancouver and Halifax. I am too sure the how things are in Vancouver except I know UBC offers med IT, but I am based in Halifax and I know that the provincial government and its related agencies have invested in growing this sector.

Thanks for the inputs David..

Thanks @Philipyeo....Actually you got me right in the sense that I am into epidemiology, surveillance and research rather than clinical practice and will be applying for related jobs. You advice is quite useful. Please update if you come across any further information.

Regards

Chiranjeev

Once you finish your PhD, you can attempt to apply for postdoc positions here. That'll give you a head start and have the university help you with your work permit etc. Note, in that case, you'll be coming in with a close work permit but you can begin applying for a Provincial Nominee Program (depending on which province you are in). PNP's are all fast track so you should expect your PR to come shortest by 8 mths.

When on closed work permit, spouses can be on open work permit. One advice, immediately file for income tax return the moment you land here so that you can start growing your RRSP, TFSA etc contribution room.