Vegetarian, vegan or a meat-eater?

Hi guys. Simple question to be asked. Are you vegan, vegetarian or meat-eater? Why? :)

If I eat, I want the food to have mooed, baaared, or woofed.
I eat rabbits, not steal their food.

Me ....omnivore, but leaning to less meat and more veggies.

Bob K

Definitely a meat-eater! Here in Brazil churrasco (barbecue) is a national obsession and if you don't love it they'd run you out of the country on a rail. In my case since there aren't too many railroads here, they'd build on just to give me the boot! Love churrasco with a passion and I have NO PROBLEMS whatsoever eating domesticated farm animals or game animals.

http://mauoscar.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/churrascaria-brasileira-em-xangai.jpg?w=630

So everybody a meat-eater, right? :)

I was eating a lot of meat, too. But then I started to think about the way I wanna live. I mean - I started to do a lot of sports and stuff. Everything towards my happy healthy lifestyle. And one day I realised I dont need to eat that much meat and that it´s not even good for my body. So I tried to eat it less. Then, one day, I found out that I stopped eating meat at all. And since that time, I didnt start again. I just dont need it and I feel a lot better then I used to :)

Nowadays Im more vegan, too. It just makes me happy :)

Everything in moderation. Love meat but have no problem if it is not available. Veggies and fruit suffice then.

I ate two donner kebabs for dinner, washed down with a large coca cola.
I'll but some larger size trousers this afternoon.

Eliisi wrote:

So everybody a meat-eater, right? :)

I was eating a lot of meat, too. But then I started to think about the way I wanna live. I mean - I started to do a lot of sports and stuff. Everything towards my happy healthy lifestyle. And one day I realised I dont need to eat that much meat and that it´s not even good for my body. So I tried to eat it less. Then, one day, I found out that I stopped eating meat at all. And since that time, I didnt start again. I just dont need it and I feel a lot better then I used to :)

Nowadays Im more vegan, too. It just makes me happy :)

Hi ,
I am vegetarian, I have never tasted meat and don't want to as I just don't like it .

Anita S Sharma wrote:

Hi ,
I am vegetarian, I have never tasted meat and don't want to as I just don't like it .

If you've never tasted it, how do you know you don't like it?

I was a vegetarian for close to 20 years but had health problems the last few years that may have related to diet over several years and eat a little meat now.

I think it is possible to eat well as a complete vegetarian,  and I've done it.   Here it's difficult (in Thailand) because so few people are, so most food not prepared by yourself is a modified meat dish.  I ate a lot of plain fried rice or pad thai jay.

I was vegetarian because there is no need to eat meat, and for me exposure to farming helps lead towards considering that.  It takes time to adjust but later meat just seems gross.

mas fred wrote:
Anita S Sharma wrote:

Hi ,

If you've never tasted it, how do you know you don't like it?

I don't like the smell so never wanted or tried to taste even and I think it's a personal choice , all members in my family like and eat and I have no problem.

mas fred wrote:

Oh, boy. I stopped drinking sugary and sparcly drinks when I was like 10. It jist didnt seem right for my body. Even un clubs, I woukd never had drinks or coctails like rum&coke and stuff.

I dont know how could I live with myself doing such a damage to the only thing I actually have and cant be taken from me - the body. It is my temple, its something that reflects my mind, its a thing thru people are getting close to each other - via sympathy.

I've never said that eating meat must definitely be a bad thing. Im just saying that putting some thought into what do we actually put in our bodies would be nice in such a rush, modern world :-)

Oh , ya I am a meat-eater, though i eat veggies regularly, but definitely can survive without meat ;)

Like i always say"I eat to live and not live to eat".

Mainly meat, but I like a bit of fish as well.

One thing I've found about people who don't eat meat is they seem to eventually suffer from a "I'm holier than thou" complex and like to preach to others. I think it must have something to do with the saturated fats they are missing in their diet that have a very beneficial effect on the brain and nervous system.  ;)

I am definitely a meat eater, but I do really like the majority of vegetables.

I am vegetarian but i like meat but only in Bar b Q

mas fred wrote:

This is just wrong.  Pepsi is so much better.

The pepsi is so much nicer if you put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it.... :D

What's special about being vegan, vegetarian or meat eater? How do you feel being classified by what you eat rather than your personality. I found people eating all these things I tasted them and they were nice. So I continue eating them.

Well well. You read my mind and you're so much more eloquent.  I couldn't have put it better

coolcamp wrote:

What's special about being vegan, vegetarian or meat eater? How do you feel being classified by what you eat rather than your personality. I found people eating all these things I tasted them and they were nice. So I continue eating them.

Hello coolcamp,

firstly, I´d like to say that in my opinion, people are "classified" all the time, it´s the first impression which you make. Think for yourself how much do you sort people according to their looks, for example.

How do you nourish yourself isnt anything you should feel bad for. Every person has a special way of life. Some path they want to go on. I simply think that you can tell a person according to what they eat  (not only, of course) :) How does the person care :) (and I hope I do not suffer from the "holier than thou" complex, El_Jost). Because if you look closer you would find that for example a lot of vegans or vegetarians are prof sportsmen or scientists...

I dont think there is something wrong with thinking about what you put into your body, that´s all :) And Im definitely not saying that all people should stop eating meat or animal products :)

E.

I think what El_Jost meant is that you dont hear us lecturing non flesh eaters the benefits of eating meat. What I think is that if you're enjoying your lifestyle and you've got no insecurities about your choices, you don't have to shout about it, unless I'm inviting you for a meat fest. I'm just saying.

No i was a meat eater and still am but very occasionally.. going vegetarian is much more healthier :)

Joe140 wrote:

No i was a meat eater and still am but very occasionally.. going vegetarian is much more healthier :)

This is a very common fallacy but there is little to really substantiate this belief.
Many plants that form part of the human diet contain anti-nutrients as well as an inadequate balance of good nutrients. A purely vegetarian diet without any animal products requires exact knowledge of how to balance different plant sourced foodstuffs. This knowledge may be generally available today but for the last two million years or so, in which the human digestive system has been more or less the same as it is today, this knowledge was NOT available, NOR was there an adequate source of different plant foods. For most of this period of human existence it was REQUIRED that humans eat animal sourced food or we would not have survived or be here today.

stumpy wrote:

The pepsi is so much nicer if you put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it.... :D

Root beer is better, and Haagen-Dazs makes a macadamia nut ice cream that works very well in a root beer float.

coolcamp wrote:

I think what El_Jost meant is that you dont hear us lecturing non flesh eaters the benefits of eating meat. What I think is that if you're enjoying your lifestyle and you've got no insecurities about your choices, you don't have to shout about it, unless I'm inviting you for a meat fest. I'm just saying.

A lot of vegetarians will disagree with this.  They are lectured by meat eaters all the time.

I'm a pescatarian, but I fricking love this answer.

We eat to life not life to eat,, therefor I disagree people be classified on what they eat.
In other part of the world there are many can't afford to eat proper food so why can't just be thankful on what we have to eat for the day
Health don't always come from healthy food but most important health result from healthy heart( mind) how you carry yourself..

Bidara sary wrote:

We eat to life not life to eat,, therefor I disagree people be classified on what they eat.

What about the people who live to eat?

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
Bidara sary wrote:

What about the people who live to eat?

I love to eat.....

Funny story I read from the surgeon's diary in our Sunday paper. A doctor tells a fun loving Kenyan that unless he stops imbibing in frothy alcoholic beverages and partaking in juicy grilled cuts which we kenyans call "nyama choma", he was sure to die very soon from heart related illnesses. In fact the good doctor was busy writing a manual to that effect.
So when the good doctor himself got a heart attack, he, with tongue in cheek asked the surgeon(the writer) to retrieve his healthy eating manual from his bottom drawer and burn it.
I'm just saying

coolcamp wrote:

Funny story I read from the surgeon's diary in our Sunday paper. A doctor tells a fun loving Kenyan that unless he stops imbibing in frothy alcoholic beverages and partaking in juicy grilled cuts which we kenyans call "nyama choma", he was sure to die very soon from heart related illnesses. In fact the good doctor was busy writing a manual to that effect.
So when the good doctor himself got a heart attack, he, with tongue in cheek asked the surgeon(the writer) to retrieve his healthy eating manual from his bottom drawer and burn it.
I'm just saying

Nyama choma! It's a long while since I've eaten that, ....and downed a Tusker.

Deleted msg

El_Jost wrote:
coolcamp wrote:

I'm just saying

Nyama choma! It's a long while since I've eaten that, ....and downed a Tusker.

We have those often enough. Let me know when you're in nairobi so I can invite you to join in the fun

Nothing like a cold tusker on a hot day.... :top: 

And a good meal at carnivores..

We as humans are omnivores. Our body is naturally built to eat everything. The key to a healthy diet is to eat everything in portion matching your life style (how much calories do you burn a day), in season and local if possible. Cook as much as you can, avoid prepared meals. Ideally, the best food is what you grow, fish and hunt. Unfortunately, most of us can't do this on a regular basis. The best meat I ever had was game I or someone else just took.
All these new fads are nice, but only people living in rich countries think about vegans/vegetarians vs "meat-eaters". There are a lot of places around the world where people don't know what they're gonna eat the next day, so I don't think they care about this. :)

stumpy wrote:

Nothing like a cold tusker on a hot day.... :top: 

And a good meal at carnivores..

I can see I'm in good company

English2Francais wrote:

We as humans are omnivores. Our body is naturally built to eat everything. The key to a healthy diet is to eat everything in portion matching your life style (how much calories do you burn a day), in season and local if possible. Cook as much as you can, avoid prepared meals. Ideally, the best food is what you grow, fish and hunt. Unfortunately, most of us can't do this on a regular basis. The best meat I ever had was game I or someone else just took.
All these new fads are nice, but only people living in rich countries think about vegans/vegetarians vs "meat-eaters". There are a lot of places around the world where people don't know what they're gonna eat the next day, so I don't think they care about this. :)

When I was growing up we were 6 times a week vegetarians because we couldn't afford meat

meat bar b q

The idea is everything in moderation, meat, vegetables, fruit, etc.  Called a balanced intake.

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR