Opportunity to move to KL with my wife, dog and possibly newborn

Hi All

I am considering whether to take a promotion at work here in Australia or transfer to KL and I have some concerns about the KL option.

1.  My wife and I are shortly looking at trying for children, and so I am concerned about moving away from our family support networks.  Are there any issues with getting help in KL for childcare?  Can the staff be truly trusted?

2.  Is the health system up to scratch in KL? Post natal services?

3.  I'll be working in the twin towers tower 3.  The first choice would be to live in an apartment in the KLCC, however we will also be bringing over the smallest member of our family; our little Cavoodle pup.  He will be less than 10kg and is allowed in a lot of accommodation in Brisbane, but my understanding is that the apartments in KL will not allow dogs.  Is this correct?  If so, can an appropriate area to live be suggested.  No children yet, so merely looking for dog friendly and convenient for commute in.

I'm sure I'll think of many more things in the future, but at the moment that's all I can think of.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

1.  You can hire a live in maid for about RM 1,500 per month with at least 1 day off each week. Some are excellent and some abscond and cannot be trusted. It costs a great amount to get one from an agency and there is a waiting list. Therefore lots of people pass on their maids when they leave or move to another part of time (most maids want to stay in the same location). Getting a maid from a reliable contact or recommendation is OK. Too much time spent with a maid is detrimental to a child's overall development. The maid can of course do household duties as well as look after a baby.

2.  There are world-class doctors in KL. One of the most prestigious hospitals is Prince Court, right in the centre of KL City. Make sure you have health and hospital insurances.

3.  Most apartments in KL will not allow dogs. It is actually nothing to do with the condo, but a law that DBKL (KL City Council) has put in place.  A reliable estate agent can advise you if there are some that allow small dogs. It is not possible to walk the dog on the condo grounds, but there is a large park at the Twin Towers and dogs are walked there. Expect some funny looks and frightened faces though. A special taxi is required to move a dog around in a transportation case and of course they are not allowed on public transport. The cost of accommodation around the Twin Towers is exceedingly high, so whether you can afford to live there will depend on your budget.