ENGLISH SPEAKER LOOKING FOR JOB IN RABAT

Hi
I am a 20 year old female from London England looking for a job in rabat morocco but I only speak English
I fell in love with the country and city when I visited and id love to spend sometime working and living there.
If anyone can help me I will be very, very appreciative
Thankyou

So you are almost certainly going to be out of luck then.

What do you have in mind, seeing as you don't speak any of the main languages of Morocco, and taking into account that completely unqualified work (child minding, for example, or cleaning) would net you about a pound an hour? In addition, it would take work away from a Moroccan who probably needs the money far more than you do.

Do you even have any sort of qualifications? TEFL? SRN? What do you have to offer?

And this is apart from the practical hoops you would need to jump through even to get a work permit.

I have a level qualifications
Good background in sales work and work experience with customer servic and I am currently undertaking a TEFL course

Hello again.

You can forget it all apart from the TEFL. Remember you don't speak Arabic, Berber or even French.

As a newly qualified TEFL instructor, you would struggle to get a job anywhere respectable with decent pay and conditions.  You should not be working for more than 22 hours a week in this sort of job. Any place that asks for more should be disregarded. Once you have qualified, contact some of the establishments on this site:--

www.blanee.com

Good luck

Thankyou for your help

Why is that

Every Moroccan is out to exploit people? I think that's a bit stereotypical

20 is a very young age to decide to live and work in a tough country like Morocco, I must say.  Even more when you will be lonely because of the language barrier and vulnerable.

Do rethink this. If you decide to continue, please ask for lots of advice.

Neecey101 wrote:

Every Moroccan is out to exploit people? I think that's a bit stereotypical

No, but many. And the younger and less experienced people are, the easier it is.

I'm not thinking about working there for he rest of my life I merely meant a summer job or 6 months to a year. Is morocco that bad?

No. I love it. But it takes a very long time to adjust to the culture. One very disconcerting thing is to realise that whatever anyone says to you, there is a very high possibility that they are lying. You can never take anything at face value

This is what I fear. If the OP can get a good job with a respectable language school, she may be shielded from some of this. However, only some of it.

The likelihood is that no, or a poor, job offer will be forthcoming. If it's a poor one, I advise the OP to consider the implications very seriously.

I mean, you would do this for any country, but especially a developing country such as Morocco, which has its own particular problems.

Is morocco not supposed to be an extremely religious country. Are there no morals or standards

No, it's not "extremely" religious. Most people never go to the mosque. And when I say "never" I really mean never.

The country is in transition from a conservative (not religious) land to a more modern, westernised society. Bars are in abundance, many people (most men and a large proportion of women) wear secular western dress - in seaside towns, this includes bikinis and strappy tops for the younger women and shorts and bare chests for the guys. Consumerism is touted and encouraged - everyone wants the latest mobile phone!

I'm sure you realise the implications of this. As it is still a relatively poor country, there are many who cannot afford the marvels on offer yet want it all now and they see that the quickest way to get them is to get out, usually by ensnaring a foreigner. The days of mass immigration to Europe are finished, the drawbridge has been raised. The best way out is to make "friends" and then become lovers with a naive foreigner, either an inexperienced, young one or an older one flattered by the attentions of a hunky lad who says he has fallen in love with them. This happens, in particular, to many older women or gay men. As there is an everyday culture of lying, this comes easily to them. Bit by bit, the "relationship" advances towards suggestions of marriage, visas, support, please help my family, if only I could get to the UK I'd work so hard. Of course, they don't do anything in the UK except get supported by their poor partner (and later the state) since they don't speak the language, can't get a job - and don't really want to. What they want is the moment they get the leave to remain indefinitely or the nationality. Then the instrument that got them this is discarded immediately and traded in for a younger model.

This is just one thing to watch out for. Others are being regularly swindled all day long. Taxis, fruit sellers, shops selling household goods, furniture shops - all will overcharge a foreigner, some considerably. And they will lie about the price so convincingly that you don't know that you are being ripped off.

Everyday life, just take everything with a pinch of salt. I think I have mentioned this example on these forums before. I have 2 friends who do not know each other. One night I was at the café with one of them and by chance the other arrived. I know for a fact that neither of them has ever been out of the country, neither even has a passport. They both speak good French. When they met, I was utterly amazed to hear the lies pouring out of their mouths in French. "Oh yes, when I lived in Lausanne, blah, blah, blah" followed by the other, "Blah, blah, blah, of course, when I was in Paris, my flat, blah, blah...". Anyone not knowing them would have been utterly convinced by them and would have believed that they had had extensive experience abroad. But this is just typical Moroccan discourse. Never tell the truth when a lie will impress more. People you meet ask where you are from and if you say, "Hartlepool", they will miraculously announce that they have a sister/cousin/aunty there. Just to make a connection to trap the unwary.

Why do I live there - and am happy there? I love the game. I am as good as they are now. It has taken years to perfect, but I can now have proper human relationships and enjoy them. I love the climate, the food, the life, the beach, the sun.

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best of luck. I am not trying to put you off, just trying to arm you for life there. Be suspicious and vigilant! Never take things said at face value, never, especially if it's coming from a dewy-eyed youth - and even more so, his family if you ever meet them. Keep to that rule and you are halfway there.

So really I can trust no one?

I know some people there who practice Islam. Mosque, daily prayer and ritual, Turkish bath. Are they also deceiving me?

I understand that. I know not all people are perfect but to say all of them are liars is a bit extreme don't you think

Neecey101 wrote:

I know some people there who practice Islam. Mosque, daily prayer and ritual, Turkish bath. Are they also deceiving me?

Mosque, prayer, beard, all that, means nothing. Plenty of Muslims drink, fornicate, some are even homosexuals and actively engage in it, and still turn up at the Mosque. Don't be naive, but it's forgiveable as you're young. However, it's clear you have a lot to learn, before you contemplate working abroad.

Within the past two years, there have been separate scandals in small towns near to mine where an Imam and a Muezzin have been arrested for unnatural relations against nature with boys. I am a liberal atheist and have no issues with relations outside marriage including gay ones, but what these guys were doing was a disgrace. They were well respected too. I know a Hajja who has affairs at the age of 58 after seeing off 3 husbands!

I once read that Islam is founded on shame and Christianity on guilt. In the West, we feel guilty and bad because of a forbidden act itself and the propaganda that tells us it is wrong. In the Muslim world, so the author explained, even though things are forbidden, people don't feel bad about doing things (they may be frightened of god or hell or whatever but they don't feel bad) unless they get caught and are thus shamed. This is why lying, for example, is so prevalent. If the other person can't tell, they don't feel bad about it. This is why relations between men are so common there, far more so than in the West - no problem societally as long as no one knows.

Xb23 may disagree with this analysis, but it explains pretty neatly the differences I see between the cultures.

I understand that. I do not take first nature of what everyone says to be gospel. I know people lie, I am not stupid. There is also good people where there are bad people. I was not raised the same way as many of the youth today have. I have learnt to question and see through liars. I have known many. I merely enjoyed the country I visited. I have some friends there and if I had money I would stay there for a year without having to work but that is not possible, and so I asked if there was any jobs I could get if I were to do so. I am not a religious person myself but I respect all religions and honesty. My friends aren't bad people everyone lies to help themselves not just in morocco but across the world it's human nature. The similarities of what you're saying echo throughout even the wealthiest of countries. Priests molesting innocent children, bribery, stealing and deceit. There isn't risk with anything. If I were going to be alone in the country, I'd feel less comfortable and I understand your point of view but you cannot see mine

I intend to do that, for summer 6 weeks. I understand that I have also travelled and volunteered in the poorest of places. But why do you think it is that morocco is like that?

Neecey101 wrote:

I intend to do that, for summer 6 weeks. I understand that I have also travelled and volunteered in the poorest of places. But why do you think it is that morocco is like that?

Yes, it has always been like that. I honestly don't know why. I have tried to explain this in part in other answers above. It is now worse though.

Now that consumerism in the Western sense has been embraced, Morocco seems to be at a tipping point where the dichotomy between what is available easily and legally to the few, is coveted by the majority who can only afford such goods with difficulty or by cheating and/or exploitation. Some simply give up - glue sniffing is a terrible problem in Morocco and one of the royal princesses has set up a charity to try to rehabilitate sniffers. Others will take the "befriend a tourist" route, especially if they are attractive and witty, speaking French/English. Or if they are simply hunks. The problem is that those who don't need anything from Westerners (the rich and educated) are the people Westerners are least likely to meet. They have their own fulfilled lives.  It's the out-of-work, the spivs and layabouts who have the time to spend prowling where tourists might be and "befriending" them.

I see.
I never met my friends this way, my college set up a sort of penpal system online and we spoke with a group of university students studying currently in rabat. I have since spoken to a few for years and they have never asked me for a visa or such similar. They're very westernised and speak fluent English. Some are not the richest people but they seem happy with what they have

sizif wrote:

try call canters, they are hiring lot of employees

For goodness sake sizif. She doesn't speak French, Arabic or Berber so how on earth do you think she will be able to work in a call centre? Why do you insist on making these completely redundant and unhelpful posts all over the forum? Even though they have mostly been removed, you just don't learn.

Neecey101 wrote:

I see.
I never met my friends this way, my college set up a sort of penpal system online and we spoke with a group of university students studying currently in rabat. I have since spoken to a few for years and they have never asked me for a visa or such similar. They're very westernised and speak fluent English. Some are not the richest people but they seem happy with what they have

You "spoke" to them online? I think things might be different face to face at least with some of them, especially if you were in the country for any length of time.

But, in any case, they are well educated even if they are not rich, all of them. They might well be able to get their own visas if they wanted to or get a good job in Morocco. You see, you have provided the clues yourself. "Westernised", "fluent English", ""uni students". They don't necessarily need to trick a foreigner. However, I can assure you that if they thought that getting your help would advance their cause, they would stop at nothing to do so in any way possible.

In addition, don't imagine that uni in Morocco is the same as uni in the West.. I knew a Fullbright student teacher at a uni here. She was offered all sorts of bribes to give pass grades and it became clear that some students were only there because of money from their parents. In the end, the principal asked her to "be less strict" in failing people for their modules as it reflected badly on the uni and on the families and other teachers/professors were having to give higher grades elsewhere to ensure they got through with an overall pass.

I have been to visit them before. They asked for nothing. I wanted them to visit here but they can only when they're not studying. They didn't act like they were dying to come here. I know there are a lot of fake people and exploiters but there is the rare person that may actually be honest.
I recieved an email from my teaching course and they assured me once I have finished my course I will be qualified to teach there

I know just the way you're talking make it seems like they're dying to get out of morocco and they'll do anything to do so.
Also my mums friend is married to a Moroccan man and has been for 35 years, she met him whilst on holiday there and they've been in a happy marriage since with now grandchildren.

I know that ofcourse

No I don't think you understand, I am not leaving this is merely a gap year of sorts and I wanted to be in morocco for a short period. I am not saying I am moving there to live

Oh I know that, but if they were dying to come here they'd take me up on the opportunity as soon as possible. I may just save the money and stay there without having to work, I think that is better don't you?

Neecey101 wrote:

I recieved an email from my teaching course and they assured me once I have finished my course I will be qualified to teach there

Well, to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies, they would say that, wouldn't they?

It may even be true. In fact it probably is true. The problem you will face is to get a job anywhere respectable as a newly qualified instructor and with good conditions and terms.

Oh dear, please add a pinch of salt to what these doom and gloomers are saying to you :)  Shame nobody else has replied... There is of course some truth in what they are saying, and some Moroccans are out to exploit naive foreigners.  Lying is also more prevalent and more socially acceptable than it is in most European cultures.  But.... you will also find here sincere, hard-working young Moroccans who simply want to know more about other lands and who will go out of their way to help for no other reason than basic kindness.  I see no reason why you shouldn't find a job with a TEFL certificate, and experience Rabat for a time, especially if you have friends there.  You sound as if you have your head screwed on and will not fall for the first plausible young Moroccan visa-seeker who comes your way.  Good luck!

Moroccan here, in Rabat.
While I wouldn't go to the lengths some of the previous commentators went to, that would be unhealthy for me I guess, I would also be hard pressed to counter their arguments or experiences, anecdotal or not. They are trying to talk some sense into you and I hope you will reconsider coming to Morocco for work, even for 6 months, as a 20 year old female. At least have enough stashed so that you could pay the basics for a while and consider it a work vacation or something.
As for Moroccans' character, well, a healthy dose of scepticism and distrust is advisable. Don't let it show though, you might in fact push away those who are not out to exploit you, and those hell bent on it will stick around. I am college educated, do well enough for myself (now), gay, and speak good enough English and French but always avoided foreigners or simply didn't have the opportunity to talk to any. Only recently did I have to be more in contact with foreigners and the distrust is extremely off-putting, understandable, but still off-putting.
At 20, it's perhaps too young an age to embark on such an experience. I don't know you however, and you might actually have all it takes to take care of yourself, better than any 50 year old. All I can say is that you should have as much financial security, language and culture knowledge and expat connexions as you can get before you leave the nest :) It's only common sense.
If you do however take the leap, good luck! You will certainly be changed by the experience, good or bad.

Thankyou. I think you're the first person to give me some kind positive words.

If they were so intent on leaving though. While they had the best opportunity they would go. Yes, Rabat

Yes, thankyou. I was thinking of just saving the money and coming to stay for awhile instead of having to work for now. I know fully well what some of the people are like as I've travelled to different cities of Morocco previously, but I also know that there are good people like my friends and their families they have treated me so well, I don't like to put a bad name to anyone until I judge them for their actions. Everyone is not clearly as they seem but I have a good judge of character and for me it is basically going to be a long holiday of sorts.

Actually, there are 30 000 Moroccan (not bi-national) students in French Higher Education alone in any given year, so it's not that rare to study abroad. Just sayin'

I wasn't telling them to come here I study. It was on a visit visa which they could get as they have to show that they have a course to go back too

Moxtar, your English is AMAZINGLY good for a foreigner, if I may say!  Absolutely no mistakes, idiomatic, colloquial - I've never known a non-native speaker have such flawless command of the language... where did you learn, I wonder??

CathyMarie wrote:

Moxtar, your English is AMAZINGLY good for a foreigner, if I may say!  Absolutely no mistakes, idiomatic, colloquial - I've never known a non-native speaker have such flawless command of the language... where did you learn, I wonder??

Thank you, but I'm sure there are people with greater mastery in abundance. I'm fortunate enough you didn't read my first post. I had to come back and fix numerous typos and spelling mistakes.
But as a friend put it once, when I say I'm reading a book, it's not a euphemism. Autocorrect does help tremendously obviously.

Well, all I can say is that it went through my cynical European mind to wonder whether you were not one of our dear Britishers dressed up as Moroccan.... :)  believe me, people never write an acquired language without mistakes, however well they speak it.  At least I haven't encountered that, and I work in and around translation and EFL.  So, if you really are a living, breathing Moroccan, I say "chapeau" to you!