Can I change my state from tourist visa to studiant visa in Australia?

Hello
I would like study English in Australia but I have a tourist visa. Can i do that?

Hi there.  You've probably now found the answer to your question, but if not, the answer is 'yes' you can apply for a Subclass 570 Independent ELICOS visa - assuming you currently hold a Subclass 676 Tourist visa.  However, there are certain requirements that you must be able to meet, depending on which country your passport was issued.  The Aust Gov has different levels of assessment for people from different countries, depending on which level of study they want to undertake.  For example, for students from some countries, the max. period they can study English is 60 weeks, while for others it is 40 weeks.  In addition, you may also have to show evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover both your living costs and your tuition costs.  The amount for living costs that is required is A$18,000 per year.
Other factors that are taken into consideration are whether you have previously been in Australia and whether you have held a student visa before.
Having said all of this - if you plan to study English for less than 3 months, then I believe you can do so whilst on your Tourist visa.  You can obtain further information from the Department of Immigration & Citizenship website at www.immi.gov.au.
Good luck!
Kathy

Hi Kat!! I will take advantadge of this space :D

I'm live in Mexico city, in iztapalapa jeje.
I'm an Actuary and I'm fed up of working in an Insurance company! that's why I'm really interested on moved to Australia, but I dont have enought money :(

What can I do in order to get a job before I travel to Australia?? I'm thinking about an Inmigration agent but I don't know if they are fraudulent companies =S

What do U recommend me?...

Tanks a lot! and mexican regards!!!:cool
:

Welcome on Expat-blog Yazzmin! I suggest you to have a look at our life in Australia guide , there are articles on work in Australia, visas.... you will find lots of informations and useful links.

Hope this helps.
Good luck
Christine

Hi Yazzmin,

As you can't afford to travel to Australia on say, a Working Holiday visa, and then look for a permanent job, your best option is to find an employer who is willing to sponsor you.  You would need to find an Australian employer willing to give you a job as an Actuary, and also willing to sponsor you for a Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)Visa.  To be eligible for sponsorship under such a visa you would need to

• be sponsored by an Australian employer to fill a nominated position
• have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background which match those required for the position
• demonstrated English language proficiency (a minimum overall IELTS test score of 5.0 with minimum scores of 5.0 in each of reading, writing, listening and speaking - please note that the Actuarial profession in Australia may require you to have a higher IELTS score)
• be eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the job you are being sponsored for.

The links on looking for a job in the 'Life in Australia' guide mentioned by Christine are quite useful.  You could also contact the Australian Institute of Actuaries to find more information about recognition of your qualification in Australia and job prospects.  See actuaries.asn.au/
Click on the link Information & Knowledge, then click Career Opportunities, then click Employers of Actuaries.  This will give you a list of all companies in Australia that employ Actuaries - you may then want to look up some of their websites and contact them about employment.

I hope you find this information helpful.  I am also a registered migration agent in Australia, so if you need further advice at any stage in the future about visas, let me know!

Kat