Moving to Brussels - Some Questions

Dear Friends,

I am moving from North India to Brussels soon with family (wife and 2 kids). I have some questions so if you can answer that will be of great help:

1. Do you think it will be too difficult for a 9 year old child to study in French/Dutch school and it is better to apply in English schools as my kids are really good in English and they have no knowledge of French/Dutch?

2. I searched online and see that English schools are pretty expensive. May I know if there are some other English schools also in Brussels which may not be posted online and which will have less fee?

3. Are there any localities where lot of Indians live so that we feel at home? Are those localities safe? What about safety in Brussels in general?

4. May I know the approximate rent for a 2 bedroom apt?

5. Taxes are also pretty high it seems. May I know what benefits we get for paying so high taxes? Will medical facility be free? Will I save tax on fee paid for education of my children? Are there any ways to save tax for an independent professional (freelancing)?

6. Can you give me rough idea of cash in hand after tax if I make EUR 5500 per month in gross?

7.  May I know how much will be approximate expenses for a family on food per month?

Apologies for lot of questions, but you can understand it is a big step to relocate.

Thanks
Varun

Hi, I don't know everything but I'll help you as much as I can...

1. Do you think it will be too difficult for a 9 year old child to study in French/Dutch school and it is better to apply in English schools as my kids are really good in English and they have no knowledge of French/Dutch?

It depends, but imo it won't be difficult for he/she to learn a new language. But I know some children from expat parents who've had difficulties to learn french, the teacher just asked the parents to talk to them in french and not in the native language.

2. I searched online and see that English schools are pretty expensive. May I know if there are some other English schools also in Brussels which may not be posted online and which will have less fee?

For what I've been looking for, I only found expensives schools too .. So maybe someone else could help you better with this question :)

3. Are there any localities where lot of Indians live so that we feel at home? Are those localities safe? What about safety in Brussels in general?

I'll say that the most indians I know are from Ixelles ( it's 1 of the 19 municipalities of Brussels ), but I don't know if that's the place where they are the most representated. For the safety it all depends where you go, every municipality has its beautiful and dangerous hoods.

Depends in which municipality you'll go.. but I'll give 600 - 700 EUR as average price, most of the time there's no: gas, elecriticty and water included.

5. Taxes are also pretty high it seems. May I know what benefits we get for paying so high taxes? Will medical facility be free? Will I save tax on fee paid for education of my children? Are there any ways to save tax for an independent professional (freelancing)?

Hell yeah, welcome in Belgium.. if you've a high pay you can lose 50% from you gross to your net. The advantages that I can remember right now: low costs for studies ( 700 - 1000 EUR fee for university ); a lot of that money goes to the public welfare center; a good social security for you retiring;
For medical costs you have to take a mutuality, imo it's not that expensive compared with other countries in europe.
I don't how it works for independents, sorry

6. Can you give me rough idea of cash in hand after tax if I make EUR 5500 per month in gross?

as an employee, I'll say 3400 EUR net

7.  May I know how much will be approximate expenses for a family on food per month?

Depends on how you eat, if you go every 2 days to a restaurant, you can spend a lot .. We spend something like 350 EUR/month and we're three..

If you have any other questions just ask

Thanks My Friend, your answers are very helpful.
I will wait for more replies on English Schools.

I have 2 more questions

a.  When does admission start in schools in Belgium and when does new session start? Is it possible to get admission at any time for kids of expats?
b.  Are there any special benefits (tax saving, medical etc) for Expats?

Admissions for Belgian francophone schools are year long but most places will be taken already in the more affluent areas. You must phone up individual schools. Decided where you want to live first, then phone all the schools in that area. Don't accept no for the first answer.

No special savings for expats unless you are on an expat tax regime, you pay a little less tax.

I wouldn't pay less than 15k per year for any of the schools teaching in English, lycee francais excepted but your child without French would not get a place at the age of 9.

Maps of all the local francophone, Dutch speaking and private English schools are posted several times.

Indians seem to be increasingly working for companies in Diegem and Zaventem areas, so expect for find them increasingly in the eastern communes.

Expect to pay 800 for a 2 bed apartment in the eastern communes which would mean lots of potentional excess money on your salary.

Expect to budget 1/3 housing, 1/3 bills including food 1/3 excess.

If we were 3, we'd be spending 350 euro per month on food too.

My 2 cents..

--> For a 9 year old, who studied in English till now, I would say its a bit hard to move to French/Dutch system directly.

--> You have the right picture - English education is pretty expensive in Belgium
  --> Existing threads in which this topic is discussed:
            https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=223567https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 15#1774011
  --> Repository of threads:  https://www.expat.com/forum/257-6-study … ssels.html

--> Ixelles, Uccle, Evere. Evere has a lot of IT population with lot of Indian Families.
--> Places are safe. But like any other cities, there are robberies, mugging, etc. More you keep vigil, safer you are.

--> 700 to 900 plus electricity, internet, etc.

--> If you are moving to Belgium for the first time, and if you can prove your financial interests stay in your home country, you may be eligible for expat status, in which you pay 35-40% taxes. Citizens pay upto 50-53% taxes approximately.
--> Healthcare is very good in Belgium. If you pay Belgian social security, you get almost 80% of your medical costs back from your public medical insurance (of course there are conditions - you use generic medicines, cosmetic things are not covered, etc). Most of the employers subscribe their employees in an additional private insurance plan, which can *most of the times* cover the rest.

--> Taxation is different based on your employment situation. I mean, its different if you are posted here for certain duration by an Indian comapny, than when you are moving here to join a Belgiam company.
--> Like Gosplay said, you can expect 3.4K approx in hand. I know some companies offer a company car also, which is a good benefit.

--> Agree with Gosplay. But yeah, it depends on your lifestyle :)

If you have more questions (specific to Indian -> Belgium move, like availability of Indian stuff, key points to take care while you move, etc), feel free to PM me.

Regards
Aneesh

yes hard for a 9 year old but not as hard as for a 12 or 16 year old!
I know many who've managed it.
You might want to ask each school the percentage of non Belgians and what nationalities / how many nationalities as the bigger the percentage and number of nationalities, the more chance there is that the school will offer help with individual or small group intensive French lessons.

I live in Uccle, it´s a nice place, safe and with a lot of green areas.
There is a bilingual school: french/english but just until 6 years old. La maison des enfants Montessori Uccle.
The Lycéen Français has a bilingual section   English/french. Fees are in the web site.

Varun - Have you moved there already? I am an Indian presently living in Dubai, with 2 kids aged 6 and 4. my husband is getting a career opporunity there. And I have a whole load of questions. Pls let me know if you have moved there alerady so you will be in a better position to help me. Will really appreciate your response.