Teaching English in Mexico - what to expect?

Hi everyone! As I am hoping to come from Australia to Mexico to live for a year I would like to know what is considered good pay and conditions for TESOL English teachers over there. I suppose what I am realy asking is what pay you would need to survive including accomodation food and living expenses.

It would be really helpful to know before committing to an expensive airflight on the other side of the planet. The areas I am most interested in are San Miguel de Allende, Taxco, Oaxaca or (if I could dream - Tulum/Playa).

Any feedback on good or bad employers would also be welcome. Contacts also would be great.

Thanks!!!
MelbourneMandy

Welcome on Expat.com MelbMandy!

I move the discussion to the Mexico forum ;)

I`m a teacher and I just went through all of that, so I hope I can be helpful.  If you live in Oaxaca (or a smaller place) it will be different and maybe harder than my experience (near DF).

My visa processed in 3 weeks - the law has changed so it`s faster than before which was something like 3 months.  You will need to find a job that will give you a sponsorship letter.  That may take time, especially if you are between semesters or in a small town.

Bring originals of everything you have, including your birth certificate.

I got offered pay between 65 and 200 pesos hourly - 5 to 18 US dollars.  Always part time.  So not much money, but of course Mexico is cheap.  Rent from 1000-3000 a month, cheap food and transportation.

Wherever you move, translate your resume and walk around the town, visiting all the little schools and universities.  Bring enough cash for a few months!  Good luck!

Thank you Ted! That is very useful information! I am indebted to you.

Here is the best advice.
Come, travel, and find a place YOU like then find a job. Everyone on here will swear their city is the best. You need to find a place that matches YOUR personality. It will save you alot of heartache and money down the road. The bus system is excellent and cheap in Mexico. It is part of the adventure in finding that perfect place for you! Check out the internet find a couple places that interest you and visit them. Then look a little around them. You just might find a hidden jewel.

At a MINIMUM 8000 pesos a month!!! More in bigger cities.