What do you do to make money to live in Mexico?

Just curious to see what everyone does to earn money that allows you to live in Mexico?

Online job or live on Social Security. Most folks retired

Hi, to live in Mexico there are various ways.

1- working foreigners are normally employed via there actual employer.
2- self-employment via internet only
3- legal investors in restaurants or other areas
4- legal resident with a small business "pequeño negocio"
5- temporary/permanent resident registered as "pensionados" retired foreigners complying with the legal conditions

Also, there are some illegal workers or foreigners renting palapas, restaurants or bungalows (subrental) from mexican and those foreigners renting there houses/apartment...Those are not in our list of visits or recommandations.

Adios, GyC.

I have found it very difficult to obtain the right credentials to work here in Mexico.  Working on line for a US company seems to be your best bet

I am rather new in Mexico, but ran a small chocolate salon in NZ and AU. Can one create a successful small business here? I am thinking of a restaurant, cafe, B&B etc. Why so many foreigners subrent these illegally in Mexico?

Laws are strict for starting your own business.  Check on line.  You start with an attorney

Yes , they are pretty particular about that, but if you might be hiring Mexicans for your business it should get easier. That is their main concern, are you adding to, or taking away from their economy. When I first moved here a government agency came out 3 months in a row to just see if I still lived here and if I worked here.

If I had said yes, the next series of questions would probably be, is it a job that could be done by a local. I don't know that for sure, but given that the questions were employment oriented I suspect so. Of course they would not say can your job be done by a local, but the questions would aim that way.

I am a (non-practicing) California licensed business attorney and my husband is a retired electrical engineer.  We have lived in FL for the past 4 years but are moving to MX in a couple of months. We purchased a vacation rental property last June, and formed a MX corp which will "hire" us and permit us to open other businesses.  Also have a business we started in the US 5 years ago that expanded to MX - and globally.  It can be run from anywhere with cell phone & internet.  Reply if interested in knowing more or help with any of the above!

I bet on football (soccer) games.

@ddfleming I am interested in learning a bit more.  Will be moving to MX with my husband and young daughter and looking at all my options.  I have an MBA in Healthcare Mgmt. but really looking for something that would suit our needs.  Do you have more information about your business you are willing to share?

DDFleming, I am interested in living in Mexico and working globally online or over the phone. How can we get in touch?

Maya

Hello!  My husband and I are moving to Mexico within the next month or two as well.  We have purchased a home there.  My husband is an MD here in the states but looking to do something online, is your business something where you might be looking for others to enlist in...so to speak.  Thanks for your any information that you may have for us.
Best!
Linda

So Sorry I haven't been on here lately!  I was traveling and we are also very busy with our upcoming move to Mexico as it is happening next month!   :D  Please private message me for more info as VERY exciting developments are in the works with our business!  I will contact those who have already asked!

Is there a good list for ideas working online? As I am neither a former accountant, nor an IT person.

Hello All.   I am planning winter stays in Mexico and would like to know if anyone could help me with my website and advertising regarding tutoring American children online.   I have a background in Special Education and Counseling.    I also need to know what I will have to do to report my income from clients  paid to me by PayPal.     Thank you!

HI, I plan to move to Rosarito Beach this year. I found land and will build two houses.
I plan to sell one and live in the other.
But first I want to try to rent it via 'Air B&B' and similar until it sells.
Could anyone here please suggest links or attorney or your personal advice on which FMx I will need and if business rules allow an American to rent out their own property for vacation rentals to Americans and/or to locals. Thank you.

Why not build one house and see how it goes. If you need income I would forget the whole thing.

Who is going to build the houses?    A contractor or architect is expensive and if you hire guys you need to pay Seguro which is expensive plus the lawyer to handle it.  How are you going to make a profit?

If you are earning money in Mexico you are working and need a resident Visa with permission to work. Also, need an accountant for taxes.

sparksmex wrote:

Why not build one house and see how it goes. If you need income I would forget the whole thing.

Who is going to build the houses?    A contractor or architect is expensive and if you hire guys you need to pay Seguro which is expensive plus the lawyer to handle it.  How are you going to make a profit?

If you are earning money in Mexico you are working and need a resident Visa with permission to work. Also, need an accountant for taxes.

Hi to all, I agree to the above from "sparksmex". Even with AirB&B, those are revenues and taxable income in Mexico.

Adios, GyC.

Yes sparksmex,

That was what I heard also.

What I have observed is that getting reliable workers can also be a problem. The Mexican native architect who built behind me had all sorts of problems. The workers were from somewhere else apparently. Some worked hard and did a good job , others used it as an opportunity to scout out the neighbors. In the end the project cost a lot more than planned. The neighbors got robbed and had to increase their security and the architect had equipment taken.

I was one of the neighbors who got robbed. Three of us now have glass shards on the tops of our now higher walls. The neighbor 3 doors down rents equipment and he had to put razor wire on his roof. It was a more expensive project for all.

Your post caught my eye. My wife and I are selling our business in Texas and moving to Mexico. We do plan on obtaining the permanent residence documentation but we also want to work. A sedentary life style is not in our DNA. Any information or opportunities you may have we would like information please.

Thank you for your time and consideration
Steve Heide
xxxx

Moderated by Sarvesh 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hola rovtype,

You might want to start with the job section at the top of the main page. It can give you ideas.

I wouldn't worry to much about having nothing to do.   
Mexico has a way of keeping you pretty busy. You really have to try very hard to not do anything. :)

With a Permanente Visa ....... leave your US plated car home.   Only Temporal can have a US car

Best bet is to start a business in Mex but you'll need to do a lot of investigation

With your income, you will probably skip Temporal.

This is a personal response to dfleming, but hitting "reply" on your message box, it went on the public site.  I wonder how many others have experienced the same when trying to contact you personally.

I'm self-emplooyed, an international journalist and photojournalist, 14 books published and numerous features in major US & European publications. I am moving to Puerto Vallarta in June (same month as you're moving to Mexico?!).  I've been ai bush guide in East Africa, and have performed work for global NGOs.  I would love to know how to supplement my income in Mexico.

Many thanks,

Skye Moody

Hi Skye Moody,

Reply will be general. You need to send a message if it's for a select audience.

travellight wrote:

Hi Skye Moody,

Reply will be general. You need to send a message if it's for a select audience.

Hi, also you can select quote to reply to a specific comment.

Adios, GyC.

I have a fix-it shop and my wife has a ZUMBA class.

Nothing, I live very well on my SS check from America. I have lived in five states, visited twice that, and have never had problems living. Here in Merida,Yucatan living is very good.

How about the cost of living there and the means of getting a job? Is there a greater chance to land a job having an outstanding work experience with the previous jobs/employer?

Morgan Allen wrote:

How about the cost of living there and the means of getting a job? Is there a greater chance to land a job having an outstanding work experience with the previous jobs/employer?

Hi to all, once again back to basic. Only the proper working VISA allows you to work LEGALLY in Mexico. If you have a internet business in your home country, you might not need a working visa but your income is still taxable in your home country.

List of various ways of working or living in Mexico

1- working foreigners are normally employed via there actual employer.
2- self-employment via internet only
3- legal investors in restaurants or other areas
4- legal resident or citizen with a small business "pequeño negocio"
5- temporary/permanent resident registered as "pensionados" retired foreigners complying with the legal conditions

Also, like in Canada, USA, France, there are some illegal workers or foreigners renting palapas, restaurants or bungalows (subrental) from mexican and those foreigners renting there houses/apartment...Those are not in our list of visits or recommandations.

Adios, GyC.

Moderated by Sarvesh 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons + Off topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I think Mexico wants us here to spend money, not to make money.

Many people go there to retire after they have made some money.

Ronniestm wrote:

I think Mexico wants us here to spend money, not to make money.

Well yes and no. If you have a unique skill set or might bring more business they are interested. What they are not interested in is people setting up business without paying taxes , not following the rules, or just here to make money off of Mexico. That's where Uber has had problems.

I have unique skill sets, but I am retired and like it that way, so I volunteer to help where I can, and advise. That makes me part of the community, not a person trying to take advantage.

Hi there, my husband and I are also in FL and are in the early phases of planning a move to Mexico. We are both accountants but have been self employed for the better part of 10 years with various businesses. Have you made the move yet? If so, how do you like it so far? Also what is the online business you have? I currently do contract accounting and social media work and I run a blog while hubby is building an ecommerce business.
Regards,
Jan

Hi -
Good topic.   I am hoping to be in Mexico for just the winter months.  Since I have counseled and tutored for a living, I"m hoping I can set something up to continue to do so via Skype.  Then get paid via PayPal.   Any suggestions on web-building  and such, please get back to me.   I know I'll need the advise of an expert web designer!  This winter I will only be coming for a month or two.   But subsequent winters will be longer stays.    I am semi-retired.

We don't come here to take jobs, it's a low paying country. We live on what we bring or earned in our own country. For goodness sake, they pay more at a McDonald's than most people earn here. Why do people assume it costs so little to live down here?

I am an LISW in Ohio. I recently took a course on TeleHealth for Mental Health.  I wonder if you have looked into it?  I was told that one cannot be paid unless licensed in the State of that the client resides.

Susan McCrary wrote:

I am an LISW in Ohio. I recently took a course on TeleHealth for Mental Health.  I wonder if you have looked into it?  I was told that one cannot be paid unless licensed in the State of that the client resides.

I'm sorry Susan, but I do not understand what you are saying. Is LISW  an acronym for licensed in social work ? I am familiar with MSW but never heard of LISW. If so , what does that have to do with Mexico ? What does that have to do with mental health ?  I know there is a question or point there but I cannot figure out what it is. Please clarify.

Ok, so a new acronym , They added independent. So you are saying you have a masters in social work. well at least that is clarified with a google search. I have a background in medicine and I hadn't heard this new title, so I imagine most others would not know that title significance, so perhaps acronyms are better left on diplomas.

But I still do not know what you are trying to say.