Living in Rosarito and working in San Diego

I was wondering if its easy and okay to live in Rosarito and work in San Diego, crossing the border in the daytime, roughly 4 or 5 days a week. Is it hard and do alot of people do it?

There ar e about 100,000 people who do it everyday These are people who live in Tijuana as well as Rosarito.

You will want to get a SENTRI card.

Thank you, yes, I've read about that. Is it pretty simple to get.

If you live close to the southern border enrollment stations it's not that hard.   It can take several months to get approved and then you have to go to the enrollment station for an interview, photo, and fingerprints.  If you are going to drive you will need to enroll the vehicle.

I'd recommend setting home base a little closer to the border. I live in Playas, and it takes me about 25 mins just to get to the Sentri Lane without traffic. Add another 30 minutes at least to get there from Rosarito & you're at an hour commute. Plus whatever time it takes to get through Sentri, and commute from the border to your job...so i guess it depends how much time you want to spend commuting.

It only took me a month to get Sentri a couple of months ago! I don't know if I just got lucky, or that's the norm right now though.

Jen

gringalatina wrote:

It only took me a month to get Sentri a couple of months ago! I don't know if I just got lucky, or that's the norm right now though.

Jen

You got lucky.  Spouse and I applied the same day.  She got approved in three weeks.  I didn't get my approval for six.  Otay Mesa was quicker to schedule the interview than San Ysidro by several weeks.  We had to travel from northern CA.  But the few times we have used it so far it's well worth it.  We avoid commute hours so never have more than 3-4 vehicles in front of us at the crossing.

I wish they would let rental cars cross as it's easier for us to fly and rent.  But I understand why that's not the case.  Once we are living at Rosarito full time then that won't be an issue.

Yeah that is what I was thinking, thank you for all your information

Also east of the Otay crossing they are currently building a toll crossing that they say will be no more than 20 minute wait. This is scheduled to be in service at the end of 2019. Then you can pass your rental car there if you choose.