Moving to Malta

Hi guys,

Could really do with some help and a few pointers.

I have read threads, but haven't got a clue still, as everything keeps changing and some posts are different to others. wondered if anyone could answer a few questions for me please?

1) I understand I need to fill in about 50 million forms...ok not that many, but a few. I'm gonna get the residency application based on being solvent and not relying on government help etc. Can i show a letter from my partner (who's staying in the UK) saying he's gonna be sending me 650 euros a month (plus the chunk i've got saved in the bank) as proof of being solvent there? Not really sure how else to do it.

2) Do I need an ID Card/Residency certificate in order to get a job? and do I need a social security number? If so, can you get one without the other and how long on average do these things take?

3) Bank accounts....apparently it's a royal pain in the arse to open a bank account and takes until retirement age to get it sorted (I'm 28 lol) just going on what others have told me. Faffing about with references from your home bank and what not. Is there any way to avoid this? I can't live without a bank account for months and months until they get sorted. Surely that's for a debit card with overdraft and all the fancy stuff? Can one open up a basic cash card account without all the faff? Just to live for the basics and direct debts/rent etc? If so can anyone advise on this?

4) Health insurance? Do I need this before they will let me become a resident? If so, can anyone advise any decent, but not massively expensive companies who offer this in Malta?

Just really love Malta and have visited many times over the years. Finally at the point where we've got the money and I'm gonna come over first while hubby sells our house in the UK. Hopefully gonna find myself a job (already applied for a couple and got some skype interviews lined up yay!) :-) Just irritates me how long everything takes and what bloody faff you have to go through (or so i've been told by a lot of people). I'm not the kind of person that can cope without a bank account and all the basic human things you get in the UK. Not bashing Malta, as I love it, just not their systems with how long things take. People are awesome there and have always made me feel welcome and because my grandpa used to live there before he died, it has always been a second home. That said, holidaying and living in a place are two different things, hence why I am unsure with a lot of this stuff.

I've done a lot of research, but would prefer to hear it from someone who has experienced it themselves and overcome difficulties and now settled in Malta.

Many thanks for reading and thanks for any replies =)

See this: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316705
That is definitive and up to date and I frequently review it.

I do not understand why if you have read threads you still do not have a clue (your words) though I do understand your confusion.
Things do change, (especially out here) and many have been here for a while so their experiences when they moved may be different to others more recent moves. Life is dynamic and beware opinion versus fact.
Also bear in mind that situations are different for EU citizens and Third Country Nationals.
Look top right and you will see forum subject headings.
Read through them and you will find a lot to contribute to your research.
No issues are insurmountable; just takes time.
It is not necessarily - quote -  'a royal pain in the arse' to sort things out.

I found our move quite unremarkable and I had our bank account here, before we left the UK.
If you want to know more, PM me.
It will appear arrogant (especially to some on here  ;) ) but it was all about the 6 P's.  PPPPPP................

Prior
Planning
Prevents
P*"ss
Poor
Performance.

Time and patience.  :)

Hey,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm more confused, due to how things have changed (rather than not having a clue) and reading different posts and digesting different info (some incorrect) but I've checked your thread out and it is now a lot more straight forward - so thank you! :D

I'm sorry if I seem arrogant, I have autism (asperger's syndrome) so I know I may sometimes come across as harsh or sharp (I'm honestly not, I'm a nice person really) :-) I just say how I think, without thinking of how others might take it. Life long struggle, so I'm sorry if I upset you (Didn't mean to)

I'm not concerned about getting a job, that won't be too difficult with qualifications and skills (plus I can speak a couple of languages but not maltese unfortunately! - Hope to have that sorted after being there a year or two).

All I need to do now is somehow beg the bank to let me have a bank account, as using my British accounts will be very expensive. Hopefully, with a TAX ID, passport, tenancy agreement and a employment contract, and the fact I'm moving there to live permanently and plan to stay there for....well...forever basically lol Hopefully some kind soul at one of the banks will open me an account.

Once again, thanks for your reply =)

Thank you for being so 'upfront' regarding your abilities. I understand totally, I share them.

It's a shame no one else has responded because of course others will have a different perspective and opinions.
Always good to get 'cross section' of views.
C'mon guys!