Need advice on my Budget

Hi Everyone :)

I'd like to introduce myself first before I start asking questions, I live in London with my family ( Wife, 8 years daughter and newborn baby), I work in broadcasting industry for more than 8 years in addition to another 7 years in printing, multimedia .... etc.

I got an offer to move to Bahrain, salary all inclusive is 2000. I did a quick research and came up with the below budget. all what i heard from friends I've added 10% on top of it ( maybe more ;) ).

I'm really confused as there are a lot of posts in the forum saying you can live a luxury life with less than this budget.

I'd like to know what do you think guys  :/ .

RENT    , (3BR), Juffair, Amwaj Island or similar
Flat, House or Villa (3BR) :    600
BILLS, Electricity and water 10% of the rent plus usage
Electricity :     40
Water :             40
Broadband :     15
TV Cable :    10
SCHOOL
Daughter :    350
CARS   
Husband :    100
Wife :               100
Petrol :             30
GROCERIES   
Chicken :     15
Meat :             25
Fish :              20
Rest :            150
Daughter's Expenses
School :             20
Swimming :    30
Others :         10
Baby's Expenses
Nappies :            10
Others :        10
Wife's Expenses
Pocket Money :    150
Clothing
Daughter :    20
Baby :          15
Cleaning
12 times :     40
Resturants
4 times :       120
Phones
Wife :           30
Husband :    30
Husband's Expenses
Pocket Money :    150

TOTAL = 2130

Cheers :)

Check out www.numbeo.com to compare the prices you have with what this site gives you. Just type in the country and city then see what comes up.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Hopefully you have read the previous posts about cost of living to give you an idea.

Rent - you will struggle to get something for 600bd on Amwaj.  You may not want to live there if your daughter is going to school in Saar area (am assuming you want a British school as you are coming from London), Amwaj to Saar will involve at least 45 mins journey on a bus or your wife will have to drive her.  600bd will get you a property in the Saar/Janabiya area but it will likely be an apartment or individual villa - a compound villa will be more expensive.

Broadband - our broadband is more like 30bd a month.
TV will be at least double what you have budgeted for.
You dont pay for water here but you do pay Municipality tax which is 10% of your rent.
In a smallish house you are looking at 50bd a month plus for electricity - remember your A/C will be on pretty much constantly for at least 6 months.

While your school fee budget is about right - remember you have to pay termly so you need to budget for paying in 3 lump sums not monthly.

If you are renting cars you have under budgeted - a small car will cost you in the region of 160bd-200bd a month each.

After school activities are very expensive in Bahrain and you pay for everything here - school trips, activities etc etc - in my experience we are paying for something pretty much every week.

Your wife will likely want to do things with the baby.  There are baby groups most days and some great play areas.  The baby groups are in the region of 3bd a session and the play areas are between 3-5bd a session.

Nappies are hugely expensive - double what you pay in the UK, the same with clothing.

Its difficult to say with food.  This will depend on the type of food you eat, whether you are prepared to shop locally in the markets or whether you want to eat what you are used to in the UK and shop at expat supermarkets.

You dont say whether your package includes medical insurance for you and the family.  Medical insurance and medical bills are expensive.

You can certainly live on the budget that you have but by no means will it be a "luxury lifestyle".  You are unlikely to be able to save very much or go on holidays if that is your plan.

Good luck and please pm me if want further info.  Our budget was pretty much similar when we first arrived.

Thanks a lot Stumpy and Scottrace,

Rent, I have seen a lot of flats to rent in Juffair around my budget with all inclusive.

if it's all inclusive does it mean Municipality tax as well ?
I have read a lot of different posts in the forum, if the flat is furnished so the landlord has to pay for the Municipality tax ?

to clarify it, rent is 600 + 10% (Municipality tax and water ) + Electricity (50BD) = 710

compound and new building have TV cabled in the property or not ( Free channels only ), or i have to pay for it anyway.

Cars, I'm planning to buy cars for me and my wife, I'm not looking for a fancy 4x4, reasonable car should be fine. Do you think 100BD is enough for instalment (3-5 years) for Nissan or Toyota ? , family size and small one for wife is a good enough to start with.

As we are talking about cars, to be able to drive in Bahrain i need to get my IDL before i come then convert it to LD or my UK license should be enough. I do not want to loose my UK license by converting it to LD.

I'd like to know from you which British school is better ? it's always better to hear from parents than reading in their website as they always saying we are the best :)

Inflation is around 3-5% a year ? is it by the law or some companies don't have to do it!!

Flight tickets and medical insurance are providing by the company.

it sounds it'll be a tight life as i'll not be able to save any money or travel anywhere ?

Do you consider it as a good offer or not ?

9 out of 10, if you are renting a furnished flat, the municipality tax, water and electricity will be included in your rent, meaning you won't have to pay a penny more. Most buildings also include the internet as part of your rental allowance. If it is not included, negotiate and have it included.

100 BD a month over 5 years should be able to get you an average-good second hand car.

Your IDL is enough to start driving in Bahrain without converting your license.

Many companies are willing to pay for kids school fees. Both British School and St. Chris are very expensive schools and they have a waiting list. Have you checked with your company to see if they can be included in your salary?

Hi brightonguy,

thanks a lot for your reply.

I have asked them about schools but unfortunately they are not contributing :( .
I'm trying to push it a little bit more as you said schools are very expensive, so when the little one start going to school i'll be stuck.

By the way, how normally the rent will be paid ? Monthly or  quarterly ?
Do I need to pay a deposit like in the UK ?

It depends where you live. Some places ask for a deposit some don't. Most villa's are paid 3 months in advance and then either quarterly or monthly.

Whilst you may be able to get a flat in Juffair for 600bd inclusive, please take time to look at other areas.  Juffair is mainly young professionals, single and couples. It is not a great place for young families - there are lots of restaurants and bars, its not near the schools and are you sure your wife wants to be stuck in an apartment with 2 kids and no outside space.  Just my opinion but most families live nearer to the schools.  If you are not expecting a mansion and you take your time and negotiate you should be able to find a nice villa somewhere much more family friendly.  Just my opinion but as a family of 3 boys I would not want to live in Juffair.

As far as buying a car is concerned, you will be unable to get finance for probably 3 months or so,so unless you have the cash to purchase, you will need to rent for a while.  Also bear in mind, that any finance that you take out has to be repaid before you leave Bahrain permanently (credit cards included) so if you have to leave in a hurry for any reason you could find yourself in a sticky situation if you dont have the funds to clear it all immediately.

As far as the schools are concerned, you will get as many opinions as there are parents and it all depends upon what you are looking for in a school.  We are BSB parents and I am happy to give you my opinion if you want to ask specifics in a pm.

I was not trying to be negative when I said that you would not be living a luxury lifestyle but many people arrive here thinking everything is luxurious and cheap. That's just not the case - its better to come with your eyes open and your budget correct - you may find you spend less.  Our budget was not a lot more than yours when we arrived and we have 3 kids, its not been easy but we manage (no fancy holidays and no designer clothes and haircuts) - it all depends at the end of the day why you are coming to Bahrain and what you are hoping to gain from it.