Moving from London to Bahrain, salary and lifestyle?

Hi all,

I've been offered a job in Bahrain as a senior creative. I've never considered moving out to the middle east before and so i'm a little bit confused as to what the lifestyle is like out there and what kind of salary is suitable.

I've been offered 2252 BHD per month which is broken down into:
Basic Salary BD1,267.200/-
Housing Allowance BD 633.600/-
Transport Allowance BD 147.840/-
Phone Allowance BD 63.360/-
Indemnity Allowance BD 88.000/-
Flight Allowance BD 25.000/-

I'm currently a freelance designer in London I tend to take home on average £5K a month. I understand that living in Bahrain is a lot less expensive than London but i'm wondering the salary i've been offered would allow me to live comfortably in Bahrain.  In London i eat out once or twice week. Use public transport rather than own a car, go to the gym and so on and so forth.

I'd be looking to move out there with my partner. Who hasn't got a job yet, but would look to find work out there also. She's got a background within the NHS as a manager.

Our goals would be to save money for a wedding and also to travel. So trying to figure out if that salary would enable that to happen is really important.

In terms of what we like to do, we'll go to the theatre, visit museums and art galleries, visit the park etc etc We go out for drinks, but don't place an importance on a place having a big nightlife. Culture and vibe are really important. We also don't have children. 

Any advice and thoughts would be really helpful.

Thanks

Correct me if I am missing something; your net salary i.e. the cash that you take home per month after tax is GBP 5,000?  if so, that translates into BHD 2,500 and in that case, I would advise you not to take this offer.

The only reason for taking an overseas job is the substantial jump in net take home pay or the potential to save more.

Bahrain may be cheaper than London in some aspects but in others it is way more expensive - at a like for like level e.g.

Groceries
Eating out
Drinking
Rentals (If you go for the western expat accommodation)
Medical (unless your employer gives you insurance)

Also, keep in mind that you cannot sponsor your partner to come here.  You need to be married for that.  If she comes, she is going to have to rely on a visa on arrival and then keep exiting / entering to keep it valid.  And for her to work in the medical field, there is a huge accreditation process with the local health authority here - it is doable but takes time and is somewhat frustrating for some.

Forget about public transport; coming from a place like London, it is very limited here and restricted to some bus routes and taxis.  Literally everyone uses private cars to get around.  So factor in that cost as well.

Travel is a good option but keep in mind that travel in this part of the world, while affordable, doesn't compare to the likes of ryanair/easyjet and pricing in European destinations i.e. is more expensive.

For the major part of the year i.e. say late May to early Oct, forget about outdoor stuff as the temperature and humidity make that next to impossible for most people.

Browse the threads on this forum to get an idea about the cost of living.  Many people have asked similar questions.

Thank you for your advise and yep correct. My monthly take home as a freelancer averages around £5000 sometimes less, sometimes more. I'm seeing it as an opportunity to work in a different country. New experiences a different kind of client list to work with.

Living in London is expensive and it's rather difficult to save. Absolutely love it. But it's not something that would allow us to save up for a wedding, travel etc. I realise everyone experiences are completely different. On the one hand I see it as a new adventure that broadens ones horizons rather than a pay jump, but said salary should allow us to be flexible enough to save and travel to places like Oman etc.

Well keep in mind that moving across to here, even if not for financial considerations, would still require quite a bit of adjustment to your lifestyle if you want to save.  As some things would be much more expensive than London as I have highlighted above.

New experiences are good but if you have thought them through.  For a lot of people from the developed world, the first exposure to emerging markets is pretty jarring.  You either sink or you swim.  The ones who swim, have thought it through properly and done the right research.

With Due respect to your views about relocating to Bahrain, SanjSahota83, the one major thing you must consider is the saving you are thinking about, There are many posts on this forum, but as I have recently shifted here, want to give you the broad idea.
Rentals are somewhere between 500 to 700 BD per month for fully furnished well maintained 2 bed apartments in areas like Juffair where most western expats are living. This rentals can go upto 800 to 900 also depending on the taste and luxury you want. But you can take average of 700 for your calculation.
Now if you are cooking home, your groceries can be somewhere 40 to 50 BD per week (if you buy generously and are foodie). Eating outside once a week will cost you around 4 to 5 BD per person for regular eateries like Pizza hut, and if you go for Buffet in five star hotels, it will be nearly 15 BD per person.
Mobile recharges can range from 6 to 40 BD per month, depending on your usage.
Now most important, if you don't own a car, for even 3 to 4 km to and fro travel in cab will cost you 4 to 5 BD per day. Drinking alcohol is much expensive (I won't be able to give you much insight on this though, this is what I have heard). And for other adventures and outings again it is going to be expensive.
So if you have the simplest life style compared to your other western friends, then even saving potential is not going to be more than 1000 BD or 2000 Pounds per month.
As Xtang told, if you want to swim, get all your gears updated.
As a general opinion of mine, one would relocate only if the expected saving potential is at least twice or thrice of the current savings. I can be wrong also, and can't comment for the other reasons for relocating.
And as a western guy, you must keep weather in mind too, it is unforgiving.

All the best. We didn't want to give you all negative things though, this is the actual reality. I won't say it is not the place to be, I like it here a lot, but then there are reasons for it.

And one more friendly advise, when they ask someone to relocate, they obviously know the biggest reason is the financial reason, so they will always pay you more than what you are making now, so according to me, you must bargain on that base. If they really want you, they will pay you at least 150% of your current earning, it can be 200% or more even, depends on their need and your bargaining skills. All the best, don't hurry for the decision.

from what I've read, I think you should be looking at the Emirates and going for at least 150% of your take home pay in London to make the move worth it.

You're effectively taking a salary cut to come to a country that has a very limited, although distinct, "vibe." You'll quickly run out of things to do if you like theatre, galleries, museums. There's culture here but it's tiny compared to London. Dubai would give you more than enough of that to keep you occupied.

As for parks, well, I like to call Bahrain the ugliest nicest country I've ever lived in. There really isn't any outdoor space worth getting excited about. At least in the Emirates, you can get away to mountains, decent beaches and real desert with dunes. The best bits of Bahrain scenery are reserved for the army to do manoeuvres in.