Well done Up in Arms - Utility tariffs discrimination no more

Before someone deletes this post as falling in the category of Politics - Lets first say thank you to all the fight by Up in Arms

All content from MaltaToday - See below

Graham told MaltaToday that all consumers would now be treated as Maltese nationals, eliminating differentiation in tariffs between Maltese nationals and other nationalities.

The meeting came about as a result of ongoing efforts by the 'Up in ARMS' group to end the two tier, higher Domestic tariff that many EU Nationals, were subjected to.

A Maltese National was only required to show an 'M' ID card when applying for utilities, which like the 'A' ID card, was expired. But in the case of the 'M' ID card, this is extended. To ensure equality, a decision has now been taken for ARMS Ltd to accept the 'A' ID card or the new e-res-card.

Children not in possession of the ID card would have to present birth certificates, which are already required for the new e-res-card.

"The downside, and efforts will continue in this area, is that this decision will not help those tenants who are billed directly by their landlord and those whose landlords refuse to either register tenants or place the bills in the name of the tenant," Graham said.

See full article..

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdet … as-maltese

So now ARMS stop discrimination for EU citizens and continue to discriminate non-EU. Nice choice :) They prefer to trim the tail bit-by-bit? :)

Up In ARMS misuse and do not know the meaning of the word 'discrimination'.

Spiridonov wrote:

So now ARMS stop discrimination for EU citizens and continue to discriminate non-EU. Nice choice :) They prefer to trim the tail bit-by-bit? :)

IMO, if anyone thinks that ARMS operate in the interests of anyone else, they are, unfortunately, sadly mistaken.

Lets just hope that the people at ARMS read the paper!

:)

tearnet wrote:

Lets just hope that the people at ARMS read the paper!

:)

:top:

Well done Up In Arms - a small battle win - but the war is not won yet.  Good luck to you all.

Irrespective of our opinions and /. or politics at least every proven resident EU (including those maltese affected by the problem) and NON EU WILL GET THE LOWER RATES.....Thats a good thing is it not.

ARMS are a business entity and are really just the pawn in this as its the government who have bowed to these demands and instruct ARMs what to do via the MRA.... and about time too - ARMs only collect the money..albeit badly.....and work for profit just as Enemalta Arriva and any other business do.

Good point, taken Toon.

Thank you Red acknowledged and flowers put on mantlepiece...lOL

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Thank you Red acknowledged and flowers put on mantlepiece...lOL

I still hold my views about Up in Arms though.

you are entitled to them as are we all.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

at least every proven resident EU (including those maltese affected by the problem) and NON EU WILL GET THE LOWER RATES...

not if their landlord doesnt agree

georgeingozo wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

at least every proven resident EU (including those maltese affected by the problem) and NON EU WILL GET THE LOWER RATES...

not if their landlord doesnt agree

sadly that is true.

OK they would be entitled to it but may not be able to get it due to their landlords tax evasion or unwillingness to make changes to their account to include the tenant(s) as registered consumer(s)...maybe through previous bad experiences with tenants doing a runner and leaving unpaid bills behind. 

that is a) down to tenants asking the right questions before taking a let and b) the government and tax authorities dealing with evasion.... but its flawed in point a) as you have to decide whether the landlord is telling you the truth as am not sure whether one can check a landlords tax status... DP and all that.   

theres not much a tenant can do if stuck in this position other than trying to negotiate or MOVING.

but one can ask some very awkward questions at the outset - any suspicions OR doubt - just WALK AWAY

toonarmy9752 wrote:

but its flawed in point a) as you have to decide whether the landlord is telling you the truth as am not sure whether one can check a landlords tax status... DP and all that.   

theres not much a tenant can do if stuck in this position other than trying to negotiate or MOVING.

but one can ask some very awkward questions at the outset - any suspicions OR doubt - just WALK AWAY

you can ask for a fiscal receipt for the rent - in fact if you donr insist on it, you are also breaking the law

AND IF HE/SHE REFUSES ONE?

what if he says he is declaring and you accept that statement - and he really isnt? where does that leave the tenant?

Has any tenant ever been prosecuted for any of these omissions?

yes and held equally guilty for paying cash with no fiscal receipt.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

yes and held equally guilty for paying cash with no fiscal receipt.

Good job I designed and use my own itemised receipts. Landlord signs, I keep original and she takes a copy.

are they legal? would they hold up in a court of law.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

AND IF HE/SHE REFUSES ONE?

they are breaking the law

toonarmy9752 wrote:

are they legal? would they hold up in a court of law.

no it needs to be a proper fiscal receipt (ie from a cash register or from an authorised receipt book)

redmik wrote:

Has any tenant ever been prosecuted for any of these omissions?

I dont know, but if someone was thinking of reporting their landlord to the taxman for not declaring rental income, they might themselves be prosecuted as well

i know of someone who was caught by this.....

So, where does one get an authorised receipt book and who authorises it please?

The landlord has to get it, as he's the merchant. I think from the VAT or tax office

i suggest that if anyone was to report the anomolie or suspicion that it has to be done immediately - any delays may be construed as being party to it.

My owner not only will he not give a receipt nor will he accept a bank transfer & I know he declares the apt.as 2nd home.

ANSWER -is move.