Passport for Children

Hello,

I am in the process of applying for a passport. I am filling the online form, but it is asking for a CPF number. Does my baby need to get a CPF number first?

Thanks

Shaun

No there is no such thing as a CPF for a child, you need only the ORIGINAL Birth Certificate and if your child is born in Brazil you'll require a Brazilian Passport for leaving Brazil and you will also need to apply for a Canadian Certificate of Citizenship and a Canadian Passport as well. Canada now has a "one person one passport" rule, you can no longer put a child on your passport. The forms are both available online.

It would also be advisable to apply for a RG (Registro Geral) for the child. This is the Brazilian photo ID, but you'll have to ask somebody where you can get it done in Recife, I have no idea about there. If they have a "PoupaTempo" they will do it, usually while you wait. You will need the child's Birth Certificate and 2 3X4cm color photos of the child.

Since your child is Brazilian, the laws require that the child use the Brazilian passport to exit and re-enter Brazil, however will need the Canadian passport to enter and exit Canada since he/she is also a Canadian citizen. Lots of bureaucracy, but that's just the way it goes I'm afraid.

If you are travelling back to Canada with the child, but without the child's mother you will require a notarized authorization from the mother to travel outside the country with your child.

As far as I know the Canadian Consulate that serves Recife is Rio de Janeiro so you need to send your application for the passport and Citizenship Certificate there, it will take about 3 weeks if you deliver the passport application in person, longer still if you send it by mail. They will mail it back to you via SEDEX if you pay the extra fee.

I have absolutely no idea how long the Citizenship Certificate takes to process. It may actually need to be sent back to Canada by the Consulate, not sure.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Again WJ, many thanks

this is very informative. I realized after, that I had said that my son was emancipated, and that is why it was asking for his CPF. It is all fixed now.

I have an appointment and hope this should go smoothly. In the meantime we have also filled out his Canadian citizenship, which we were told could take up to 8 months - WOW.

Anyways, keep plugging forward. Thanks for your help.

The online passport application process requires on page 2 documentos, Certidão, additional info (numero, livro, folha) regarding the birth certificate. Where do I get this data from?

That is the information contained in the Registro Geral (RG) of a Brazilian born individual. The registry of birth number, book number and page number of that record in the Cartório.

In the case of married women however, the Marriage Certificate supercedes their Birth Certificate, so for them it would be registry of marriage number, book number and page number.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Our marriage certificate is foreign so this does not apply. There is a matriculation number on the birth certificate with 32 digits.
Online application Número has 8 spaces, Livro has 4 spaces, and Folha has five available spaces.
What I need to know is how to dissect the 32 digits and fill the required spaces online.

You need to go to the Cartório and ask them for the registration number, book and page number. That's the information you need.

The information about married women was not for you, but for anyone else who may read the post and is a married woman needing that information.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hi James. I found out there is an option that applies for newly issued certificates and you can enter the 32-digit matriculation number and that is it.

Hi, kindly post the link of passport form, I tried on policea fedral site but I am unable to find applicatin link. Will be thankful to you.

https://servicos.dpf.gov.br/sinpa/inici … Passaporte

HI,
Do i need to get appointment for child passport?
Thanks and waiting

As far as I know all passport applications are by appointment only

You have to go to the FP in person but no need to schedule an appointment (in São Paulo)