JOHANNESBURG

I have been living in JHB for over a year, actually wee over a year and still I am struggling to make good friends. I am from CT and I would thought moving to JHb for love and work would be easy. truth is I hate it here. I have friends and a fiance but am so lonely.
Any advise on how I can make true good friends.

Hi,

I moved the discussion to the Johannesburg forum

Hi Kimmy!

I can understand making friends in a new city can be challenging - I moved here two years ago but didn't really become social for over a year! It's just different being in another world you're not necessarily accustomed to, and I find people tend to cluster into their own groups (I'm sure you did it while in CT too, it's just human nature) but I promise you I find Jo'burgers to be some of the friendliest people in the world. It just takes getting out a bit.

What are your interests? Perhaps doing things (rock climbing, a book club, art class, etc) in line with hobbies you enjoy is the best way to go about meeting like-minded people whose company you'll take to nicely.

Give it a try - Gumtree is a great way to find community events and things to do, and I'm sure you'll make friends in no time that way.

:)

Vanessa

Do you play netball or cricket? Or fancy giving it a go? I can put you in touch with some folks. I am pretty much in the same boat. Came to J'burg with my SA hubby from the UK almost 2 years ago and I do have some friends but nothing compared with the life i had back home.

I do have some points to make here that I am trying to keep in my own mind;

1) I have to keep reminding myself I was born bread and lived a full life of school, college and Uni in the UK, I can't expect that to replicate itself here in SA so soon.

2) Life is where the love is...you have a fiancee, I have a hubby, sometimes even though we miss our old lives we should try and focus on our wonderful other half!! (not always possible I know when he's being a pain LOL)

3) My mother once told me that is home is only as far as the nearest airport. I have family and close mates in Bahrain, UK, New Zealand, Australia and the rest of the world. I reckon it's an hour to OR so only an hour home really!! Keep this in mind it does wonders for ridding you of the detached feeling.

Right well I think that's me off the soap box for today!! Keep trying to stay positive and if you want some help getting into the netball drop me a line! ;)