As a single female how does one get around as in Shopping?

Hi ladies an gents,
I need some advice on how to get around Riyadh as a single female! Are their taxis which u can call or any other means?

There is nothing such as 'public transport' in KSA. Yes, there are buses that run across the city but they are strictly for males.

Taxis are abundantly available. And ladies do move around in them. You can arrange pick and drop with any of trustable cab driver.

They are building a metro system! Come back in 2020! :)

Good for them!

alpha89 wrote:

2020, Inshallah!  (probably more like 2040 lol)

Still they are just in Design Phase for metro. I guess that would take hell lot of time to finish. As Ms Alliecat said, probably 2040. My future kids may make use of it hehehehe...

The thing I have noticed here is that they get half-way through something and then change their minds about some details, which sets them back a year or two. If this happens several times, the project takes twice as long as predicted!

The way I understand it, PNU was waaaaaay behind schedule. The King was unhappy with this so he ordered work to be continued 24/7 for a couple years.  That's the only reason it was completed in a fairly timely manner.

ya... its true.. i was involved in the construction of PNU, and King had visited couple of times...and he wanted it operational as soon as possible.

Thamiela!

my advise is that you make sure the taxi driver knows the place you are going, sometimes they say they know but they don't, even the ones from hotels. good luck!

Alliecat wrote:
alpha89 wrote:

2020, Inshallah!  (probably more like 2040 lol)

It's supposed to be done in 2017...so I put on an extra 3 years just to be optomistic lol

Thanks. :-)

there is a concert in DQ today and tomorrow... you might kill your time there ....

Actually, your compound may be affiliated with a limo company (mine is Hala Limo)--very safe, reliable, clean vehicles, drivers speak English, and reasonable set prices).

You can telephone for a limousine, if you are able to explain to the company where you live. Some limousine companies will send you a regular driver if you so request (actually, the drivers offer you their names/mobile numbers so you can call them directly to arrange transportation). 

Hala Limousine, with branches at Sulaimaniya, near Old Airport, al-Akariya shopping center, and at the King Khaled Eye Hospital (which is nearest office to the Diplomatic Quarter) - phone 4821234 Ext. 1262 or 1278.   

There is also Shary Limousine, behind Military Hospital, Sulaimaniya -  4777313 and Saudi Limousine -  4631416.

alpha89 wrote:

just to be optomistic lol

:lol:

Well Well. It has offcially kicked in.. Im really here and dont know what to be doing.

Ladies and Girlies.. Here I come.. lol

rates wrote:

Well Well. It has offcially kicked in.. Im really here and dont know what to be doing.

Looks like it's your first post here. A couple of lines about you as introduction would have been much better.

Welcome to Expat-Blog and KSA :)

rates wrote:

Ummm.. you don't know what to be doing?  I can tell you:  don't be hijacking other people's threads! :P

thamiela -
  you might ask your compound to arrange the taxi or limo. I just have to call my compounds reception area and tell them where I want to go and when and they do the rest. I just have to give them around 24 hours notice so they can find a reliable driver.
does your compound offer buses to the malls once or twice a day? that is another option if they do. it would be a short trip, but would let you at least go to a few different malls safely.

@ stressed mom,

Thanks for the info. Not sure abt accommodation yet.